1979 GS550L Let the Education begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest pics

Okay here is one of the new looks I am going for on the black out bike. Taking the cross bar and painted it black. Going to get some chrome model paint and paint in the center pieces kind of a reverse of the stock look.

Eventually I am going to powder coat gloss black (like the fender) the lower members of the front forks, also.

Here are a couple of pics of the bike with blacked out fenders and the rear brake light installed.

I have the front tire from the parts bike to see the changes while the other tire is being delivered to the Bike shop to be mounted.

Comment

Woot just got off the phone with Wilderness Motorsports and my Jacket, turn signals and throttle cables are in. Still waiting on the tire to get in but it may be in tomorrow also. So tonight or in the morning I am going to pull apart the old throttle cables and get ready to install the new ones. I think I need to run down to ACE and pickup a couple of stanless screws for the throttle control the ones in it may not last another time. I will post pics when I get the turn signals installed. Hopefully if the tire comes in before I get there I can take pics of the bike on the road tomorrow. Here is hoping.

Comment

New Turn signals mounted.

Well got my throttle cables and turn signals today but only had time to mount the turn signals. Hopefully tomorrow will get throttle cables on and front tire back on and then maybe just maybe will get to ride it around the block.

Anyway here is pictures of lights mounted.

and from the side

Okay well time to head into work.

Paul

Comment

WOOT First ride on the bike today.

Well got in from work about 11:15 PM and got the tire put together and mounted and the old throttle cables removed and the new ones installed. I finished up with that around 1:00 AM this morning. After I finished the throttle cables I began to work on sorting out some of the electrical problems. Pulled my brand new multimeter out of the package, installed the 9 volt battery, plugged in leads and went to check voltage across the battery. Nothing and the battery had juice. The meter doesn't work. I double checked to see if I could get the resistance meter to read. Nothing. So that will be going back to PeP boys. My new turn signals wires were two short to connect with the wiring harness but I did use another wire and jumper them across to verify their operation. Then I went to bed. My daughter woke me up around six and played in the bed till about 0730. After Breakfast I got dressed went out and pulled the bike out on the street. Playing with the electrical system apparently wore down the battery last night so I had to use the truck to jump start the bike. It took a while because I had not started the bike in over a week but I got her running. After she warmed up I ran her up and down the street in front of the house checking the feel of the brakes, the clutch and the throttle. She seemed to be doing well. I got my helmet out of my truck and then took her for spin down and around the block, about a 3/4 mile loop. It felt great. Learning to get the feel of the bike under me and leaning into a turn. It was awesome. It has been such a long time since I have been on a bike and then it was dirt bikes. This was awesome just awesome. I am going to get it registered on Tuesday and taking the MSF course on the 16th of August. I am so excited. Woot Woot. All the trouble and wait has been worth it. What an exhilarating feeling. Now to just get the lights straightened up and I will be good to go.

Comment

Wow you've been busy, you're getting close!
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Close but not there yet. Having problems getting the lights working. I got the blinkers working and the guage lights work but the Headlight and brake/rear running light does not work. I have verified the headlamp is good by jumpering it straight off the battery. I don't have power to the connector for the headlamp. I am currently trying to trouble shoot back. I just finished up the blinkers today so now I am moving on to the headlight and brake/running light. Here are some pics from today with her out of the garage.

Oh and don't forget my faithful assistant...sometimes

Possible future GS rider. Maybe on a GS Hover bike.

Well colored out the wiring diagrams to make them easier to follow now I just need to get down and take some readings and figure out where power is being stopped at. Let the cursing begin.

Paul

Comment

Woo you're a good man, Charlie Brown! Teach your children well, indeed! She's already got just about enough finger to cover the levers - the legs will catch up.

I love the look young kids get around motorcycles, it's so special. They don't care what you ride, they see two wheels and a motor and they KNOW it's cool. Children are smart that way. That's the look they have when they wave to you too. A little girl on her bike waved at me once, she seemed to be saying 'look at me, I'm cool too' I just said to myself, you bet your ass your cool!

You DID check the fuse block didn't you?
                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                  Woo you're a good man, Charlie Brown! Teach your children well, indeed! She's already got just about enough finger to cover the levers - the legs will catch up.

I love the look young kids get around motorcycles, it's so special. They don't care what you ride, they see two wheels and a motor and they KNOW it's cool. Children are smart that way. That's the look they have when they wave to you too. A little girl on her bike waved at me once, she seemed to be saying 'look at me, I'm cool too' I just said to myself, you bet your ass your cool!

You DID check the fuse block didn't you?
                  Yep she keeps asking me to take her on a ride and I tell her daddy has to practice more before I feel comfortable letting her ride up and down the street. Don't worry would never take her farther than a 50 yard ride down the steet and back in 1st gear.

As far as the fuse block goes, I checked it and it has good voltage in and good voltage out so I know I have to look down stream of there to find the problem. Probably won't get to it till tomorrow. After I leave work here, I plan on spending the rest of my 4th with the family.

Happy 4th of July to all my US GSers and to all who have served or are currently serving I say "THANK YOU".

Electronics Technician Chief Petty Officer (Submarine Qualified) Richard P. Warren salutes you.

Comment

I ride at times with my kids, but the rules are pretty simple for me. Feet have to reach the pegs comfortably, they have to wear the full face helmet, jacket, and gloves with usually jeans and boots. Also I didnt take them till I built my sissybar, but I also have them grab onto my jacket so I feel them.

I started slow with the length and speed of the rides and explained cornering and leaning and not moving a lot to look around. The stepped seat helps for that but they still stare mostly at my helmet.

Anyways you will get lots of mixed thoughts on here for that, but when they are old enough nothing beats it. My daughter LOVED us going to her softball practices and games on the bike.

Comment

Finally Done.

All systems are go. The bike is road ready, well almost waiting on the new tire to come in. But other than that she is good to go. Headlights work, turn signals work, brake lights work, brakes work, she goes, she stops and she is a blast to ride. Thanks everyone. This has been quite the education and I will continue to learn. I plan on ending this thread, for now and will start a new one this Winter when I do all the things I should have done now but have pushed off, in an effort to get on the road and start riding. I will sit down and plan out the order of things and begin ordering parts so that the cost will not be so great all at once. Thank to everyone who helped and gave me such good advice. A specail thanks to the kindness of the forum member who gave me the bike that was I was actually able to get on the road. My current plans are to clean up all the usable parts on the other bike and sell them off. Use that money to do the winter maintennance and look for the big bike. I can see I will definitely need one, either that or do some seat customization. I am a little to cramped on the current seat configuration. These long legs need a little more room to move. Anyway I will end this thread with a picture of my lady parked on the road.

And here is what she will look like hopefully after her winter hibernation:

But for now the major work is done.
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2010, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X