...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Vey nice. Hopefully thid can be there one day

Comment

Did a little more work..

Took the cylinder head off..
        Quick question.. My manual says to clean the carbon off of the combustion chamber. Now the two outside things (valves) our down how do i clean those?

I still have a lot of cleaning to do on the engine and finding new gaskets.

A buddy of mine said i need new washers for the cylinder head bolts? Is this true? He said you need to replace them every time you take them off?

I also took off the front master cylinder.. and the rear is being a real bitch. Just having the hardest time taking it off.

Frame work:
        Take off the brakes the rest of the way
        Take off the swing arm and forks
        Mock up wiring to figure out what i need to fab up
        Remove old tabs (buy a grinder looking at the dewalt dw402)
        Get shocks
        Get/make seat/tail
        Make seat/tail supports
        Batt Box
        Tail lights/head light/Blinkers
        Take all apart
        Grind welds
        Paint

Engine
        Remove old gaskets
        Get new gaskets
        Figure out pain scheme. Thinking wrinkle red and black
        Assemble

What do you guys think about Mono Shocks?

Comment

If I am missing anything at all please tell me

Comment

Dude, Not to be an ass, but you're talking about monoshocking this bike when you just called the pistons "valves". I think attempting any serious frame altercation without fully understanding what you are doing would be a serious serious mistake and could lead to you getting hurt, or even killed. Im not trying to insult your intelligence, but some knowlege of how and what and why a motorcycle works is required before making changes other than cosmetic. And, im not sure that you have that yet. I think you need to do some more reading and research.

Again, not trying to insult your intelligence or tell you what to do with YOUR bike, just trying to look out for your safety.

Comment

See I know those weren't valves I know what they do and their purpose. Just bare with me on the wording. I'm really really bad with words. And my manual doesn't helpe me out at all. It will call the same thing two different names. I'm just not good with words on top of it.

The monshocking is like a year or two away if I ever do it. Its not like a two month away type of deal. I want this project to atleast take a year soo don't think it will be done this season.

But anyone know how to get the outside pistons up so I can clean them? A wire brush aint about to be able to reach them where they are

Also my manual says to use cleaner and doesn't specify any? Any ideas on one to clean all the carbon bull**** off.

Comment

Going to be ordering a gasket kit off Oldbikebarn by Athena..for 103

They have a real nice 4-1 for my bike to but i don't have 450 laying around right now

To Do list:
                Frame work:
                Take off the swing arm (need bigger allen wrench)
                Mock up wiring to figure out what i need to fab up (started today) scared myself a little bit lol
                Remove old tabs (buy a grinder looking at the dewalt dw402)
                Get shocks
                Get/make seat/tail
                Make seat/tail supports/ignition support
                Batt Box
                Tail lights/head light/Blinkers
                Take all apart
                Grind welds
                Paint

Engine
                Remove old gaskets 75% done
                Get new gaskets
                Assemble
                Clean really really well (boil)
                Self Etching Primer
                Figure out paint scheme.

Well i finished taking the brakes off and wheels.. Need to get new wheels and brake pads as well.
                The thing with the welding I have to depend on a buddy of mine who is a flake. I know he can do good work, but i may be waiting 6 months for him to just start it.

Comment

Are you for real dude?? Im starting to think that this whole thread is someone playing some tom foolery on us..

Have you READ ANYTHING on this site? At all?

First there was a whole diatribe on Athena and Vesrah Gasket kits and how much they are a waste of precious money and worthless for doing anything with other than maybe making paper dolls out of..

Secondly, there are also many posts about OldBikeBarn and what a bunch of rip off artists they are. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM..You wont get it, and you probably wont get your money back.

Thirdly, as many people have stated on this board, if you pull the head, you need to pull the jugs(cylinder bores) as well, because youve very likely disturbed the base gasket (yes there is a gasket between the cylinders and the cases) that will leak if you dont replace it....

Its starting to look like there is going to be a mangled 650G for sale in the near future..

Comment

And DON'T dare touch the piston tops with a wire brush. You'll mess up the pistons. They're only alloy you know, not cast iron.

Comment

Hi Mr. LowellGS,

I admire your enthusiasm. To turn the motor, most of the time you can just put a wrench on the bolt under the ignition cover. Normally you will turn the motor in the forward direction only (clockwise). This is standard procedure when performing a valve clearance check.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2010, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                        And DON'T dare touch the piston tops with a wire brush. You'll mess up the pistons. They're only alloy you know, not cast iron.
                        Really? My manual told me to use one???

Also Ive order from Old bike barn before once and got everything? But Ill definitely take your word for it

Yea i pulled the whole top end.. and if you read my posts you would see that i'm taking off the gaskets. Guess i figured a gasket was a gasket but i guess i was wrong, I was just pretty pumped when i actually found a gasket for my bike, because i haven't been able to find one

And if it was mangled who cares it was free and not running.. At least i had fun...Learning a lot and that's the entire point of this bike.
                        If i wanted a nice bike i wouldn't get one that was sitting for 9 yrs
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2010, 09:30 PM.

Comment

For the carb boot screws, go buy an impact screwdriver (spring-loaded, designed to be hit with a mallet). It should cost you $7 to $15 for a set, and you will love it forever. Bike repair or restoration is impossible without it.

Comment

x2 on the impact driver, got one for 5 bucks at harbor freight and it made taking the left side sprocket cover a breeze!!!!! plus its cheaper than a set of bolts to replaced the stripped ones so theres no reason to not buy it

Comment

Good idea.m but I already tried with one of those grabits so the screws al already hollowed out pretty much.they were so siezed the grabit broke off. I have no idea what to do now. But ill defitely pick one of those up

Comment

Originally posted by LowellGS View Post
                                Good idea.m but I already tried with one of those grabits so the screws al already hollowed out pretty much.they were so siezed the grabit broke off. I have no idea what to do now. But ill defitely pick one of those up
                                By grabit you mean an easy out?
                                sigpic

82 GS850
                                78 GS1000
                                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                                .................________-|___\____
                                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                                X