GS 1100 E "Resto-Mod"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dot...............

Guys I have done some professional engineering-consulting on brake systems, so I have got the real deal as far as info goes on the brake fluid lowdown. Here it is, don't confuse any of this with trolling, this is something I know well on a professional level.

There are a lot of misconceptions about brake fluids, and you will hear all types of stories. The only difference between DOT 3 and 4 is 4 has a higher boiling point, which means it will hang in longer if you are getting medieval on the brakes. Once the brake fluid boils it is all over, even if the pads are still with you. Also Dot 3, & 4 both are Deliquescent, which simply means they absorb moisture like crazy. The two things that make brake hydraulic systems go south are corrosion from moisture in the fluid, and wear. Did you ever notice how master cylinders, and bottles of brake fluid tell you to keep them sealed...deliquescent, moisture magnet in liquid form.

Dot 5 really rocks, because it is not deliquescent, and that totally stops the abrasion of the corrosion in the hydraulic part of the brake system. Dot 5 is made of silicone, and it is a super lubricant, so it virtually eliminates the other chief enemy of the hydraulic system..WEAR. So no Deliquesence, radically reduced wear, and if that isn't enough it has a super high boiling point far above the boiling point of dot 3, or 4. And it doesn't rapae your paint.

You could mix a little of each one of these in a jar and shake them up, then use them and it would work fine, but it would have all the demons of the cheap DOT 3, because it has dot 3 in it, and it isn't pure. So if you are going to go to the expense to use dot 5 clean out the cheap stuff. It would really be best to break the system down and assemble it with DOT 5 as a lubricant, it isn't that big of a job. Pain in the but not that bad. Leaving some of the old crud in it is like taking a bath and putting on your dirty underwear. It just don't work as good.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasgs View Post
      Guys I have done some professional engineering-consulting on brake systems, so I have got the real deal as far as info goes on the brake fluid lowdown. Here it is, don't confuse any of this with trolling, this is something I know well on a professional level.

There are a lot of misconceptions about brake fluids, and you will hear all types of stories. The only difference between DOT 3 and 4 is 4 has a higher boiling point, which means it will hang in longer if you are getting medieval on the brakes. Once the brake fluid boils it is all over, even if the pads are still with you. Also Dot 3, & 4 both are Deliquescent, which simply means they absorb moisture like crazy. The two things that make brake hydraulic systems go south are corrosion from moisture in the fluid, and wear. Did you ever notice how master cylinders, and bottles of brake fluid tell you to keep them sealed...deliquescent, moisture magnet in liquid form.

Dot 5 really rocks, because it is not deliquescent, and that totally stops the abrasion of the corrosion in the hydraulic part of the brake system. Dot 5 is made of silicone, and it is a super lubricant, so it virtually eliminates the other chief enemy of the hydraulic system..WEAR. So no Deliquesence, radically reduced wear, and if that isn't enough it has a super high boiling point far above the boiling point of dot 3, or 4. And it doesn't rapae your paint.

You could mix a little of each one of these in a jar and shake them up, then use them and it would work fine, but it would have all the demons of the cheap DOT 3, because it has dot 3 in it, and it isn't pure. So if you are going to go to the expense to use dot 5 clean out the cheap stuff. It would really be best to break the system down and assemble it with DOT 5 as a lubricant, it isn't that big of a job. Pain in the but not that bad. Leaving some of the old crud in it is like taking a bath and putting on your dirty underwear. It just don't work as good.
      I strongly advise against using DOT 5 brake fluid. First off, it's not compatible with 3 & 4 so you MUST perform a full system tear down, and replace the brake lines which are sure to have scale on the inside (always a good idea regardless of what kind of fluid you are going to use). DOT 5 will create a spongy lever feel too which is a negative. The fact that DOT 3 & 4 brake fluid absorbs water is a good thing, it keeps corrosion at bay as long as you change the fluid every few years like the manual calls for. I see no advantages to DOT 5 at all, and lots of negatives.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nessism-san,

I understand your reservations with and points about the use of DOT-5 brake fluid. Without meaning to give offense I must disagree and have to say that my experiences with both DOT-3/4 fluids and DOT-5 have lead me to the conclusion that DOT-5 fluid is the better pick. I haven't experienced the problems with spongy levers that are usually attributed to DOT-5. I have had the paint on my BMW dissolved by a broken front brake line spewing DOT-3 all over the tank and fairing. Flushing out the system with DOT-5 when I replaced the rubber lines with braided and deleted the ABS system was pretty straigtforward. (Incidentally, deleting the ABS and installing braided lines gave the exisiting Brembos on the Bimmer much better feel and apparent power. The brakes went from OK to superb and the bike is at least 20 pounds lighter.) After 2 years I flushed the system again and replaced the existing DOT-5 fluid with fresh DOT-5. The old fluid was notable for coming out as clean as it went in making me feel pretty good about probably eliminating the possibility of corrosion within the system by using a non-hygroscopic brake fluid. I have since replaced the brake fluid in the brake systems of my old '79 GS-S with DOT-5 as well when I installed braided brake lines with no problems whatsoever. The greater cost of DOT-5 fluid is negligible when compared to the benefits such as reduced system maintenance and increased component life.

That's my experience with and conclusions about using DOT-5 fluid.

As always, your mileage may vary...
        Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2010, 11:36 AM.

Comment

STEVE! What happened to your (my) pictures that you posted...!?

Anyway, got the tank and other parts back today! Wheels are coated and new tires on - looks great in person!

Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2010, 10:36 PM.

Comment

The bike is looking good! Just KNOW that those star pattern 82 wheels would be a LOT easier to keep clean if you had gone GLOSS black instead of matte or flat! Let me know if you have any questions about more power or the things you need to do to bullet proof the engine. Ray.

Comment

Thanks!

The secret is to get them professionally waxed before ever using them for the first time (I have some white wheels on one of the Alfas and it worked great - easy to clean...)!

Any way, here are some shots taken today; the bike is basically back together and looking great - ready to ride again! The V&H pipes came in today as well, so tomorrow it's just installing the pipes, cut the new Dyna DW-800 plug-wires to length, crimp the connectors on & install, mount the new Dyna green coils & hook it all up, add gas and go!

Can't wait! I'll probably black-out those tank-emblems as well as the side-cover emblems at some point to match the wheels!

Comment

What kind of seat is that? I like much better than stock.

Comment

It is a custom re-padding and cover that was performed here in Seattle by a local upholsterer...

Comment

Also, so you know, the bike will be MUCH faster & more powerful if you paint the engine black too!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      Also, so you know, the bike will be MUCH faster & more powerful if you paint the engine black too!! Ray.
                      It would look really good with a black engine. Would an '83 engine just slip right into that Ray?

Comment

Bolts right in! Same with 1150 engines! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by JungleJustice View Post
                          It is a custom re-padding and cover that was performed here in Seattle by a local upholsterer...

Any chance you would be willing to post the name and contact info of the shop?

Thanks.

Comment

Rich's - http://www.richscustomseats.com/

Comment

So, the bike is back together and I have been putting some miles on it over the past two days however, there are some issues...

Please see the adjacent thread under Carbs/Fuel/Exhaust - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=159323

Also, some shots of where the bike ended up after paint!

Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2010, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Cool seat! Black wheels look great also.

Comment

Working...
                                X