No announcement yet.

Just got started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just did the first coat of primer on the tank side covers and rear cover. really shows all the imperfections in everything. more sanding and filling tomorrow...I hate this part. but it will pay off in the end :-)

Comment

Well I've been on leave in KS the last week. My parts are here and I'm looking forward to getting back and gettin things put on and get back to getting it on the road

Comment

Hey just curious does anyone know of any forward controls we can use on these bikes without any cutting or welding?

Comment

Don't you dare , you blasphemous dog !!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll end up with the wind blowing up your kilt (sorry , that's the other mob) .

Easiest way is to get a set of engine crash bars and mount highway pegs on them . I wouldn't worry about full on forward controls because when you are using your feet , you don't want to be in Harley mode . No fun in that . Don't forget to paint them black .

Cheers , Simon .
          Last edited by simon kuether; 05-13-2010, 02:23 AM.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

What kind of paint did you use on the engine and exhaust?
            ---Eric

Comment

some heat transferring ceramic racing stuff a buddy gave me.

Comment

update 07/13/10

ok fellas I have been really busy with all the stuff we've been doing for redeployment and leave and all that. but I've posted some pictures in the project album. here's the latest pic I have of what I've added since we've last chatted about it. I'll post my comment about the main pic here for those of y'all that dont wanna go to the album :-D

I finally got to post the addition of the back luggage rack on my facebook page and completely forgot to post on here... added the sissy bar/rack for the missus and the mounted bags. I found out the hard way that this rack from an L model (I was told) definitely wasn't made for the G model that I have. nothing a drill bit and some bolt improvisation couldn't fix though. the primer covered side panel has also been painted it's just not reflected in this pic. now I just need to troubleshoot the electric and figure out what the heck's going on! I'm having trouble with the ignition system. I also had to replace the carbs so I'll have to repaint them before I get them bench synced. i haven't thought this part completely through yet on how I want to do it.

After that I'm ordering new upholstery for the seat, and sandblasting and prepping the front fender so it can be painted to match. I may just take all the parts in and get them repainted by a pro. I'm not too happy with the way the color I mixed turned out. After that new tires once the mechanics/electrical are back on track

there's more pics in the album, but I figured I wouldn't waste thread loading with a bunch when they are already posted in the album.

Comment

Well I have the bike apart this weekend trying to figure out the ignition problem. It's getting VERY frustrating, but my neighbor is familiar with working on a lot of bikes and is really a big help. Wiring diagrams on here are helping out a lot as well. wish me luck fellas

Comment

Hey all. just wanted to post an update. my project is back in pieces. and the wiring harness is all cut up. I had to go through it to find some corroded wires. Then I found out that there was a problem with the intake boots. after a lot of research I found out that these bikes are really sensitive to fluctuations in vacuum. I'm learning a lot about suzuki's with this project. I just wish I had more time to work on it. work has been INSANE. barely time or the energy to do ANYTHING. I think this laborday I'm going to do nothing BUT work on this thing. I gotta get it up and running. Thank God riding season in Texas is a lot longer than the one in Kansas prolly one of the few good things about Fort Hood. ;-)

Comment

Well, as soon as money comes in I've got to order new intake boots. The ones that I have all split. That, and the screws holding the mounting bracket onto the head are seized...so that's going to be fun. I also have found enough corroded wiring to warrant a rewire...which is not my strong suit so I'm going to take that slow. I've also decided I may remove the airbox completely and go with K&N pods. With that said I think I'm going to utilize chef's expertise and send him my carbs while I'm waiting on the intake boot parts to come in.

This bike is NOT going to beat me. I have been so close to just getting rid of it several times. but I'm going to see this project through no matter what. I just want to get it done before I flippin deploy again!

Comment

Hang in there old mate .
                        A lot of us have been there . Not with your "constraints" admittedly .
                        The trick is to fix each problem PROPERLY . I use new parts , always . If you do , you can rely on that paticular thing , forever . You WILL end up with a ride that will go and go and go . Anytime . All the time . It takes longer and costs more than "getting it on the road" but well worth it . You'll know every nut and bolt and how that bike works , like no book will ever teach you .
                        Get a "new" harness .
                        Have fun .

Cheers , Simon .

Comment

thanks simon. I've been getting some stuff off of parts bikes etc. I think that I came to the realization today that I DO need to just break down and start getting stuff new, or at least certified. thanks for the chin up. have a good one

Comment

I posted earlier in this thread about 2 x 650's I'm trying to build one out of .
                            Nothing much has happened with this project . Other things seem to get in the way . I've been "on" this one for almost 2 years now .

You'll get there .
                            Goodluck old mate .

Cheeers , Simon .

Comment

yeah, I meant to ask you how those bikes were going. Well I guess we definitely know how things get in the way. wouldn't it be nice to be able to use one's days off for things WE wanted to do?. lol

Comment

well I'm in the midst of evaporusting my tank. Process is going fairly well. It's working but it's taking quite awhile. I'm just going to let it stew and keep shaking and turning it. I've also removed the big bulbous signals and replaced them with some smaller led ones. Right now I'm researching to see if I can just change out the resistor that's soldered into place on the flasher or if I need to get a new flasher unit. The guys in the avionics shop have resistors for days and saving even 12 bucks is welcome. I'll post some pics later

Comment

Working...
                                X