No announcement yet.

1982 gs 750 my fixing up thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i realized that i never posted how my integrated blinkers turned out well here they are

Comment

Well its been a while since I updated this thread. Bike has been doing pretty well this season I finally managed to source the filter part of the airbox so now it starts and runs as it should. Had to also get a new battery old one wasnt holding charge. Last weekend did valves on it and put in new Real Gasket, it still leaks, what a surprise.. Yesterday had to fix oil pressure switch ground wire, I got scared for a bit there when both my kickstand and oil lights when on.

While i was at it decided to put new clutch springs old ones where way below limit. So now my clutch is super hard to pull, it was hard before and I am not sure why so I started digging.
      The clutch cable is in good shape I put it on when I got the bike and thats when hard clutch began. I tried routing it in every possible way even just loose on the outside of the bike to prevent any kinking it was still hard. One thing i noticed is that my clutch basket has quite a lot of grooving. I guess my next step would be to sand it down like other folks do? Or should I just get a newer one off ebay?

Comment

so yesterday I finally decided to tackle my slow cranking problem. As i suspected it was starter solenoid. I figured i'd clean it and call a day, well all the bolts were so rusty that I managed to crack it. So no problem run to Lowes to get a replacement, thats where the fun began, Lowes, HD, Sears dont stock any parts since there is a very little demand on farm equipment, but they all tell me that further from the city I got the more my chances are, I managed to stop by three Lowes, two HD and two Sears stores I was already hour and change away from home and said F it. On the way to highway decided to stop by advance auto parts maybe they have something. Sure enough, took the guy about 10 mins to find one I read instructions and it looked like it was going to work but wasnt sure if side covers would go over it. Well it worked fine so if you are in city and need solenoid fast check there it was just under 20 bucks. Finally bike starts as it should for the first time in two years.

Comment

Just another small update on this thing,
          After a small fall I took couple weeks ago, I decided to sell this bike and get something newer. As much as I like it I just can't devote that much time constantly tinkering with it.
          Got new handlebars, grips and oil filter for it today, still waiting on the tail lens.
          Before I sell it I want to spruce it up to 100% working order and looking somewhat better.
          I tried to install vinyl wrap on the tank but was rushing it and ended up peeling it off with paint so it looks kinda gnarly. My goal is to repaint it this time I have a compressor so no more rattle can. I will update with pics once I get to it

Comment

well I HATE people, bike got knocked over at night again. Just installed brand new handlebars on the weekend and new tail lens last night. I didnt even have time to pull the cover off and see if anything is broken just picked it up right and went to work.

Comment

got the tins painted on saturday, still waiting on 2k spraymax to get here to clear them.
              this what i started with

and outcome

with the 0% chance of rain it obviously rained for most of the day, I didn't get a chance to work on my electrical issues but that will be adressed the next week

Comment

here is a final result after couple coats of 2k clear. i dont mind orange peel and think it came out much better than i thought it would. still need to wax it.

Comment

its been a while since i updated this thread,
                  This season new battery once again, new rear tire, replaced leaking fork seals, and most importantly spend the money on proper jet kit stg3. Bike runs and starts almost perfect gotta dig my colortune out to dial in mixture a bit better for idle but other than that its pretty damn close.

Comment

well as usual once a year i update this thread,
                    Last fall i finally dialed the bike where it feels right, good mixture, normal mpg, it finally looks ok. and thats where it went wrong, started having issues with blinkers not working randomly though it was the switch then one day on a ride to work my main fuse poped, luckily had a spare on the bike installed it and continued going to work. In the evening at home got another spare to keep on the bike just in case figured if it didn't pop right there that something just rattled a fuse or something. Next day same thing fuse pops put in new one continue to work. On my ride back fuse pops and i have no spares, and im about 3 miles from the house so since its a newer blade stile fuses i just stuck a penny in there to get me home. Bike started fine about mile later i come to a red light put my foot down and all hell brakes loose, smoke is coming like crazy in every direction, I shut the bike of and push to the side. i can see a few wires burn up the insulation, but it starts back up and i make it home. The following weekend decided to diagnose the problem and replace the burnt up wires.
                    First thing i did was unwind the harness, up to this point i never had real electrical problems burn bulb and a broken terminal but nothing to suggest any real issues, bike always charged fine, healthy spark all gauges work as they should, so i thought i had a good stock harness in it. Boy was i wrong every two inches there were splices and electrical tape, someone messed with it before and not in a good way. I replaced all the positive wires that burnt up with new and decided to see if there is continuity between the + and - without battery and sure enough there is. as far as i understand with the bike off pos and neg should not complete a circuit, so there is a short. I locked the bike in my folks garage and thats where it is has been for 6 month untouched.

This week i ordered a used decent looking harness of ebay to start fresh clean it fix it before it goes on the bike, also got a new headlight with fairing, plan on getting new controls for both sides and doing a choke on a carb, to have less clutter and one less cable.

Unfortunately once its all done bike will go for sale as come fall i'll be taking kids to kindergarten every morning so no point of just storing it.

here is a pic of the new headlight i bought
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dodik View Post
                      well as usual once a year i update this thread,
                      Last fall i finally dialed the bike where it feels right, good mixture, normal mpg, it finally looks ok. and thats where it went wrong, started having issues with blinkers not working randomly though it was the switch then one day on a ride to work my main fuse poped, luckily had a spare on the bike installed it and continued going to work. In the evening at home got another spare to keep on the bike just in case figured if it didn't pop right there that something just rattled a fuse or something. Next day same thing fuse pops put in new one continue to work. On my ride back fuse pops and i have no spares, and im about 3 miles from the house so since its a newer blade stile fuses i just stuck a penny in there to get me home. Bike started fine about mile later i come to a red light put my foot down and all hell brakes loose, smoke is coming like crazy in every direction, I shut the bike of and push to the side. i can see a few wires burn up the insulation, but it starts back up and i make it home. The following weekend decided to diagnose the problem and replace the burnt up wires.
                      First thing i did was unwind the harness, up to this point i never had real electrical problems burn bulb and a broken terminal but nothing to suggest any real issues, bike always charged fine, healthy spark all gauges work as they should, so i thought i had a good stock harness in it. Boy was i wrong every two inches there were splices and electrical tape, someone messed with it before and not in a good way. I replaced all the positive wires that burnt up with new and decided to see if there is continuity between the + and - without battery and sure enough there is. as far as i understand with the bike off pos and neg should not complete a circuit, so there is a short. I locked the bike in my folks garage and thats where it is has been for 6 month untouched.

This week i ordered a used decent looking harness of ebay to start fresh clean it fix it before it goes on the bike, also got a new headlight with fairing, plan on getting new controls for both sides and doing a choke on a carb, to have less clutter and one less cable.

Unfortunately once its all done bike will go for sale as come fall i'll be taking kids to kindergarten every morning so no point of just storing it.

here is a pic of the new headlight i bought
                      Keep it, you'll wish you never sold it.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Well i'd love to keep but having it sit in my folks garage two hours away, or outside in the elements is just not going to be good for it. It will definitely be sold, and when time comes that i have a place and time for a new machine it will be gsx1100g which is what I ultimately want in a bike.

Comment

Well I finally started working on the bike, and as usual nothing worked as planned.

The wiring harness i received, washed and fixed was not for 750 ez not sure what it is off but i used it as parts harness as i did not want to wait another week. So I pulled mine out and began fixing it. every connection that was damaged or ugly got a new coat of solder and shrink wrap, the entire harness is re-wraped. And surprisingly the bike fired up, I took it on a short ride around the neighborhood, but running without headlight, blinkers or mirrors is not fun.

So last night i ordered left handlebar switch, new grips, new mirrors and short choke cable. Aside from that bike runs rather well.
                          Another surprise came when i finally decided to repack my old supertrapp as in there is nothing inside to repack its just another sealed cone inside no packing material, just an hour of my time wasted.

Comment

Working...
                          X