No announcement yet.

1981 GS450E Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main thing is Pete, in 700 odd Km, she has made it home under her own steam every time, no breakdowns, no coming home on the back of a ute, sign of a quality build right there.
    Just razzing you about the bag I would be crap scared it is going to scratch that nice paint of yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
      The main thing is Pete, in 700 odd Km, she has made it home under her own steam every time, no breakdowns, no coming home on the back of a ute, sign of a quality build right there.
      Just razzing you about the bag I would be crap scared it is going to scratch that nice paint of yours.
      Thanks Stan, and yes, true, she's been reliable so far and seems to be running well

If I can tune her a little better then I think she'll run like a dream...

I was crap scared about scratching the paint until I did *lots* of Google searching and discovered pretty much the only way of scratching paint with a tank bag is by buying a cheapo one or if there is debris on the tank bag or tank before putting it on. So, fortunately, a guy at work wanted to offload his good quality one and I always make sure there's no grit on the tank or tank bag before putting it on, so all is good

I still want to get some storage sorted though, driving me nuts having to put a tank bag on just so I have some basic tools handy... storage space ideas are floating around in the back of my head while I fiddle with these knee pads...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Interesting Knee pad work, kind of like carving on leather. It is a slow painful process if you don't have a computer operated machine to do it, but it looks like your doing good. Man bag is that what they call it down under?

Paul

Comment

But of course I could not resist.....

Woot the Bike is done so now you have to party like its 1999

Woot Way to drag out this post Pete!!!!

LoL could not resist and the fight was over this one or the #2000 post.

This one won

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
            Interesting Knee pad work, kind of like carving on leather. It is a slow painful process if you don't have a computer operated machine to do it, but it looks like your doing good. Man bag is that what they call it down under?

Paul
            It is quite painful... there's a different texture in the grooves to what's on the surface also so I'll just have to wait and see what they look like when I finish, have smoothed the grooves, and cleaned them up...

Maybe I should use a Sienfeld phrase and call it a European Carry-all?

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
            But of course I could not resist.....

Woot the Bike is done so now you have to party like its 1999

Woot Way to drag out this post Pete!!!!

LoL could not resist and the fight was over this one or the #2000 post.

This one won

Paul
            Hahahahahhaa classic Paul, well done!

Of course this should be #2000 so...

sigpic

Comment

Wow, it's been 10 days since I last got something done... just can't seem to get time on her so far this year, and riding's becoming difficult as well dammit. Only ride this week was to work and back on Friday, didn't get out at all this weekend. We're doing spring cleaning in January and it took most of last weekend and almost all this weekend and we're still not done... sheesh. So much old crap to go... but anyway enough whinging.

I put the knee pad I'm part way through up against the tank first up to see how it would look:

It's not astonishing but it's ok. I think with a clean up once it's finished it'll look a bit better, but I think the neoprene is not as black as true rubber...

Anyway, I got the outline on the left hand knee pad which I hadn't started yet:

Carved out the lines and the guts of the letters with the V gouge but haven't cut the letters in fully yet:

And this is the pair, with the "G" on the right knee pad the only letter fully cut in:

And then I cut in the "S" on the right knee pad:

And a close up to see how much of a clean up of the grooves inside the letters is required:

I'll keep persevering and see what happens. I need to work out what to do for lines across it yet. I'm thinking V gouge at about a 30 degree angle from rear to front at this stage... will give it some thought as I go along.

I had one little slip tonight too and sliced out a bit of rubber at the bottom of the "G" on the left knee pad. What got sliced is still hanging on by a little thread so I'm hoping I can glue it down somehow otherwise it'll look quite crappy... well crappier anyway

Oh, and I have managed to get something done recently. We picked up an old cupboard initially for my wife, but she ended up finding one better suited to her needs so we decided this one would be perfect for my bike gear.

We gave it a good sand back and three coats of stain and I also gave the handles a good cut, buff, and polish like I did the crankcase covers etc. and I think it came up well. A nice place to store my gear now

And I also pulled the little area down in the corner of the workbench tonight where I did the caliper spray painting and had the bench grinder with the polishing wheels.

Part of the "spring cleaning" resulted in a spare cupboard from the laundry and some wire storage racks and things becoming spare, so they can go in the garage which will be handy. And the "spring clean" is going to include the garage and garden shed, so I can finally get organised in there! A bit late for the 450 rebuild of course but will be very helpful with the Cucciolo and the Yammie YB100 if I ever get around to it...

sigpic

Comment

I like the cupboard storage for your gear, Pete. Been thinking I'd like something of the sort in the garage for my gear, but that would require cleaning it up a bit. May actually have to throw stuff away. (Shudder)

Comment

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
                  I like the cupboard storage for your gear, Pete. Been thinking I'd like something of the sort in the garage for my gear, but that would require cleaning it up a bit. May actually have to throw stuff away. (Shudder)
                  Yeah it's going to prove very handy. There's room in there for more yet like winter gloves and a neck warmer, and if I can ever get my wife on the back there'll be room enough for another helmet, jacket, boots etc. as well. Can't get it in the garage but it's in the study which is next to the garage... that'll do just fine for this little black duck

sigpic

Comment

Pete,

That cupboard looks pretty first cabin. I use a rusty nail and shelf in the garage. You've out classed me by a mile. Looks great.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                      Pete,

That cupboard looks pretty first cabin. I use a rusty nail and shelf in the garage. You've out classed me by a mile. Looks great.

cg
                      Haha thanks Charlie, I would've been happy with it as it was but initially it was going to end up upstairs with my wife's stuff in it so we cleaned it up... glad we did now because we're doing the study up as well and it will be nice in there once we get some proper book shelves in stained the same colour as the cupboard.

sigpic

Comment

Got in the garage again tonight but didn't touch the knee pads. I decided to get into a tidy as I was feeling very cramped with all the crap around the place and I really want to get the garage sorted so figured I give it a good start.

Firstly the most important thing of all... sorting out the tunes! I've had the little stereo consuming valuable real estate on the work bench so I decided the speakers can go on the wall and the stereo can sit on top of the drawers:

I also have a nearly clean white board finally and I also stuck up an A3 print out of my wiring diagram.

The workbench still looks like a disorganised mess (which it is to a certain extent) but I've put heaps of tools away, thrown out a bunch of crap, and got heaps more workbench space reclaimed for use.

The peg board up on the left there is now empty and will be moving to a far better location on the right wall which is just out of view. Where it is is useless as you can't reach about half of it there, and those saws will be moving too.

And on another note altogether, I got a reply from the local Dynojet distributor today that they think the stage 3 kit for my bike is still available, so now I'm waiting to see if it is available and if so how many limbs I need to donate for it... I don't think it will be cheap given I've seen them for around 77 Euro and $US85... on some sites in the Netherlands...

sigpic

Comment

Good work Pete.
                          Still havent got the carbs running right?
                          Not sure if you need a dynojet. I managed to get mine going very well without it.

I basically went 140 main jet (115 was the stock) and moved the needle position clip down one clip (thus raising the needle).

The vacum adjustment was the most important thing there, and obviously the mixture screws on idle.
                          It now starts up first crank every time. Sometimes it needs choke, but other times it does not even need to be choked.
                          I find that full choke is too much anyway, i have to sort of 1/4 or 1/2 choke it.

Why dont go on the dyno jet website and look at what they advise for ur bike, and just get one size up main jet from there.
                          The pilot stays the same (as it only controls idle and small throttle).

They had 138 for my main so i went 140, 142.5 was too rich and a bit gluggy but 140 was perfect.

Only other thing u need is some dedicated time, thats the hardest thing I think!

Comment

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
                            Good work Pete.
                            Still havent got the carbs running right?
                            Not sure if you need a dynojet. I managed to get mine going very well without it.

I basically went 140 main jet (115 was the stock) and moved the needle position clip down one clip (thus raising the needle).

The vacum adjustment was the most important thing there, and obviously the mixture screws on idle.
                            It now starts up first crank every time. Sometimes it needs choke, but other times it does not even need to be choked.
                            I find that full choke is too much anyway, i have to sort of 1/4 or 1/2 choke it.

Why dont go on the dyno jet website and look at what they advise for ur bike, and just get one size up main jet from there.
                            The pilot stays the same (as it only controls idle and small throttle).

They had 138 for my main so i went 140, 142.5 was too rich and a bit gluggy but 140 was perfect.

Only other thing u need is some dedicated time, thats the hardest thing I think!
                            I'm pretty sure my needles are just wrong for my setup. Idle is good, but cracking the throttle open bogs it down, so it's too rich, but as soon as I really open her up she's good to go. That says to me the taper on the needles is all wrong (which I expected). I've still yet to prove it with the Colortune though.

At this stage it really depends on the cost of the kit whether it's worthwhile or not. If it's less than about $150 then it's going to be worth it. Needles will be trial and error and at $13.50 each and mains being $8.50 each it won't take many combinations to make the Dynojet kit worthwhile.

The other thing with the Dynojet kit is they supply a drill bit to open up the air hole in the slide as well.

I think the big benefit with the kit is that they've done some testing and worked out that the items they supply will work together, and that in itself is very helpful...

At the moment it comes down to price... and yes, as you say time is the big issue!

sigpic

Comment

Be careful with the drill bit that dyno jet supply, it could have just been the one that i had, but it wasnt very good quality and it snapped off in one of the slides. The first one i drilled actually. I have plenty of bits and it wasnt an uncommon size, so i just used one that i already had, it was much better.

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post
                                Be careful with the drill bit that dyno jet supply, it could have just been the one that i had, but it wasnt very good quality and it snapped off in one of the slides. The first one i drilled actually. I have plenty of bits and it wasnt an uncommon size, so i just used one that i already had, it was much better.
                                Bugger, thanks for the heads up mate! If it happens I'll keep an eye on that for sure.

I'll start without drilling the slides though I think and see how that goes... don't want to make such a permanent change unless it's necessary, although I do realise they know what they're doing when they say to drill it

You reckon you'll make it on the 5th?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X