No announcement yet.

GS450T Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it started up for the first time today! However the fuel cock leaks fluid constantly. The whole assembly costs about $70 on bike bandit. Is this as cheap as it's gonna go? Also, should I worry about redoing the front forks, or should those be okay for the time being? The dust caps are cracking so I'll put new ones of those on, but I don't have to tools/knowledge to do front fork seals. Is it mandatory that I take this to a shop to be done?

Comment

Originally posted by daj12192 View Post
      Got it started up for the first time today! However the fuel cock leaks fluid constantly. The whole assembly costs about $70 on bike bandit. Is this as cheap as it's gonna go? Also, should I worry about redoing the front forks, or should those be okay for the time being? The dust caps are cracking so I'll put new ones of those on, but I don't have to tools/knowledge to do front fork seals. Is it mandatory that I take this to a shop to be done?
      I'm not sure about putting fork seals on, but spend the money and replace the petcock, although if you have rust in your tank, you should rectify that first. A rusty tank will gum up the petcock sooner or later, and of course it will gum up your carbs too.

Comment

I think I paid $55.00 or so/ Check Z-1 and Parts Shark to double check.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I have the brakes taken apart, however the page in the manual that deals with the master cylinder is unreadable. The reservoir needs cleaning badly. How do you take the reservoir off? I have the assembly off the handle bars already.

Comment

If it's like my '81, then there's four screws that hold the reservoir lid on the reservoir.

I can't remember now how I got the reservoir off but from memory it was a b*&ch to get off, and mine will need replacing now as there was lots of corrosion due to old brake fluid being left to sit around it, in fact I think I will need to replace the whole lever...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Pete, did you decide to replace the whole lever? I was thinking I may have to as well and wanted to know how you got that thing out of there. I've read around and can't figure out how to pull it out. Bike is getting really close to being done.

Comment

I don't have my manual handy right now but I'm pretty sure getting the reservoir off the level wasn't so bad.

I haven't replaced my lever assembly yet as I'm nowhere near that stage, but I will do it.

The two reasons for me replacing it are 1. due to the corrosion from brake fluid around the place from the PO and 2. due to the fact I had to drill one of the screws out when I first got it and accidentally hitting the threads with the drill.

I'll try to get to my manual tonight and have a look what it says for the reservoir and I need to look at some other things myself to get ready for working on it this weekend.

sigpic

Comment

No I got the reservoir off already. I'm trying to get the piston out of the master cylinder body to check the corrosion. That's what I can't figure out, and the manual is blurred out on that page. Also, to make sure, does the front sprocket bolt twist off like a normal bolt, to the left? I think I might have to buy an impact wrench for this one.

Comment

Aaaah I see! I haven't bothered with that on mine as I'm replacing it, and don't have my manual handy again... however I will try again tomorrow night to see what mine says for you

As far as the front sprocket nut goes, yes, standard thread. Have you flattened the washer that should be underneath it?

I can't say as i have experience having to loosen it if it's too tight as the PO hadn't tightened mine and if the washer wasn't folded up against it it would've spun off, not even finger tight...

sigpic

Comment

No I got the reservoir off already. I'm trying to get the piston out of the master cylinder body to check the corrosion. That's what I can't figure out, and the manual is blurred out on that page. Also, to make sure, does the front sprocket bolt twist off like a normal bolt, to the left? I think I might have to buy an impact wrench for this one.
                      You shouldn't need an impact wrench, but if you don't have a torque wrench, you should get one. I believe the torque setting range for the front sprocket
                      is between 58 and 72 ft/lbs (I just recently replaced the sprockets and chain on my 450). Make sure the bike is in gear when you try to loosen/tighten this nut. And yes, it is standard thread, righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Comment

I'm finishing up the restoration, and in the process of putting the front tire back on. I noticed that the spring in the right fork is slightly higher than the one in the left fork. I tryed several times, but I believe the tire is mounting level on the spindle. Is this much of a difference bad? Should I do anything like fit a spacer or just let it go?

Comment

Pull the springs out and see if they're different lengths. Also, check them against the length limits specified in the service manuals. These do tend to lose length after so many years under load. I would have thought they'd go at the same rate though. Possibly a broken coil? If they are out of spec or broken, put new ones on the to do list.

They only look to be different by a few mm. If they're not broken or way out of spec, they're probably not an immediate threat. Don't try to correct anything with spacers, you'll never get the preload and rates matched significantly better than what's going on now.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I think I know what might have happened to it. The whole time it was in storage it was on the kickstand leaning on that left spring. Probably compressed it over the years. As long as these are okay for the time being I'll keep them. But like you said eventually get new ones.

Comment

I think I know what might have happened to it. The whole time it was in storage it was on the kickstand leaning on that left spring. Probably compressed it over the years. As long as these are okay for the time being I'll keep them. But like you said eventually get new ones.
                              As long as the forks are tight in the clamps and the axle / wheel is bolted up properly, the forks will sag together.....so storing the bike on the sidestand shouldn't compress one fork more than the other.

As for the difference in length, I'd be more inclined to think someone may have re-assembled the forks incorrectly (damper rod washers, etc). But if that checks out and one spring is just longer than the other by a few mm, you won't notice it anyway.
                              Current:
                              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I've been meaning to post this for awhile, but I finished up the restoration a couple weeks ago. All in all spent more than I planned, but I'm happy with the end result . Redid brakes, tires, sprocket and chain, carbs, intake boots and o-rings, petcock, shocks, and all the regular stuff. The engine still needs washed off, but I can't legally drive it yet as PA keeps messing up my title application . If anyone needs any help working on a similar bike just give me a holler, I learned so much by reading this site. It really wouldn't have been possible to have gotten it done without it, so a big thanks to everyone here.

Comment

Working...
                                X