Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will make you feel smart when your finished

Originally posted by zaipai View Post
    No autozone around here. Nearest one is over 1/2 hour away. I will try the impact wrench first. Our Bumper to Bumper does not have PB blaster.. sigh.. its what happens when you live in the sticks..
    Sure hope your right Mike10.. I will start and see what happens, tho I am going to take lots of pictures along the way for when I have to reassemble.

Next question, what is a good product to dip the parts in, I have a bucket, i just need some thing that is going to do a good job cleaning the parts. Also I don't have a compressor so I am going to pickup some canned air and hope I can make due with that.

I did find some instructions, this forum and Cliffs site is amazing.. Sure hope its as easy is it seems.

Back in a bit..

Scott..
    Also I took 4 bags numbered them 1, 2, 3, 4,to put parts in, and numbered the Carbs 1,2,3,4,. So all the same parts from each Carb went back into the same Carb. Do not soak any plastic or rubber parts. Might also check the jet sizes make sure they are right and no one has put bigger or smaller ones in as long as you have them out anyway. Take your time enjoy it. May the force be with you.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
      Also I took 4 bags numbered them 1, 2, 3, 4,to put parts in, and numbered the Carbs 1,2,3,4,. So all the same parts from each Carb went back into the same Carb. Do not soak any plastic or rubber parts. Might also check the jet sizes make sure they are right and no one has put bigger or smaller ones in as long as you have them out anyway. Take your time enjoy it. May the force be with you.
      Very good advice.. Thanks.. I have some brown lunch bags in front of me and marked them. I will make sure there is no Rubber or plastic on the parts. I am not sure how I would tell about the Jets tho. Are they marked some how? Hum.. I will have to do some searching. After hearing this beast run, I really want to get her on the road once or twice before I take her apart and clean things up some.

I feel the force.. I just need to channel it!

Scott..

Comment

Ok seems we were all guessing incorrectly I believe. Here is why..

First. It took some doing but I found some goodies..

Second:
        I adjusted the floats (they were real close to start with), and put them back on the bike and turned on the gas, it was coming out like crazy.. Hum.. Ok.. so I took them off again and took one of the bowls off and hooked it up to the gas line and turned it on. No matter what I did I could not stop the flow of gas.. Hum.. odd.. Ok so I took them off again and looked closer.. See if you can find my mistake in the image below..

Yea, that's right I think I am hooking the gas up to the vacuum lines and the vacuum lines up to the gas inlets. Am I correct? The yellow tubs are what I was connecting to the gas inlet on the fuel petcock. The black hose is what I was connecting to the vacuum connector on the petcock.. Hum..

Ok.. I am a dork. I am taking a brake to eat then I am going to change the hoses around and try it again.

Scott...

Comment

Ok seems we were all guessing incorrectly I believe. Here is why..

First. It took some doing but I found some goodies..

Second:
          I adjusted the floats (they were real close to start with), and put them back on the bike and turned on the gas, it was coming out like crazy.. Hum.. Ok.. so I took them off again and took one of the bowls off and hooked it up to the gas line and turned it on. No matter what I did I could not stop the flow of gas.. Hum.. odd.. Ok so I took them off again and looked closer.. See if you can find my mistake in the image below..

Yea, that's right I think I am hooking the gas up to the vacuum lines and the vacuum lines up to the gas inlets. Am I correct? The yellow tubs are what I was connecting to the gas inlet on the fuel petcock. The black hose is what I was connecting to the vacuum connector on the petcock.. Hum..

Ok.. I am a dork. I am taking a brake to eat then I am going to change the hoses around and try it again.

Scott...
          I have 1 hose right down the middle between the #2 & #3 Carbs. Thats my gas line that plugs onto the petcock and to the gas feed tube that runs across to all 4 carbs . Then I have a smaller tube from the petcock to carb #2 vacum hose. On the right and left side there are 2 vent hoses the same size as the gas line. Other than the spot where they plug onto the right and left rack of carbs the other end plugs to nothing.
          [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

The black one in the middle is your gas line. Hook that up to the petcock. The two on either side are vent tubes. Don't hook those up to anything. They just lay across the top of the airbox on either side. Your vacuum line that hooks to the petcock comes from a nipple sticking up from the front of number two carb. And please tell me you don't have your carbs mounted upside down....
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

These pictures are on Basscliff's site. They should help you.
              this is where the vacuum from the petcock hooks to:

Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                The black one in the middle is your gas line. Hook that up to the petcock. The two on either side are vent tubes. Don't hook those up to anything. They just lay across the top of the airbox on either side. Your vacuum line that hooks to the petcock comes from a nipple sticking up from the front of number two carb. And please tell me you don't have your carbs mounted upside down....
                Lol.. You know the way my day has been going it would not suprise me that I had it up side down. However when I took the picture, it was on the bench so I had it up side down trying to figure out what was wrong. I do have it hooked up (I know I should clean them and I will) and the bike starts and gas is now not going all over. However if I give it a little gas she rev's to about 4k and starts to bog. If I twist the gas quickly she bogs.. So I have some issues still. Back to Cliffs site.

I did see those images on Cliffs site, only after I saw I might have things on incorrectly. Yes, those did help a LOT.. In fact I am learning way more about these carbs then I ever wanted to...lol Still its a good thing.

Tomorrow (Sunday) I will post a video once I get things sorted out. I do have one question and I can not find it, so I will check cliffs site once I can get to it again (Thanks Timewarner) and that is, I have a vacuum inlet for the gas gauge, if those two vacuum tubes don't connect to it, which hose does? And why do motorcycle makers feel the need to make putting on the air box such a chore, I mean I struggled with that thing for 2 hours before I gave up, I had all 4 tubes on the air filter on the carbs but as I was tightening the screws the two middle ones fell off (not completely) so I just left them like that for now.. Guess I will try and get them on in the morning when there is more light and I am not so frustrated with it. I am ready to throw on some pods and call it a day.. Geezzz..

Off to bed.. Thanks for all the help today guys!

Scott..

Comment

Pods

Lol.. You know the way my day has been going it would not suprise me that I had it up side down. However when I took the picture, it was on the bench so I had it up side down trying to figure out what was wrong. I do have it hooked up (I know I should clean them and I will) and the bike starts and gas is now not going all over. However if I give it a little gas she rev's to about 4k and starts to bog. If I twist the gas quickly she bogs.. So I have some issues still. Back to Cliffs site.

I did see those images on Cliffs site, only after I saw I might have things on incorrectly. Yes, those did help a LOT.. In fact I am learning way more about these carbs then I ever wanted to...lol Still its a good thing.

Tomorrow (Sunday) I will post a video once I get things sorted out. I do have one question and I can not find it, so I will check cliffs site once I can get to it again (Thanks Timewarner) and that is, I have a vacuum inlet for the gas gauge, if those two vacuum tubes don't connect to it, which hose does? And why do motorcycle makers feel the need to make putting on the air box such a chore, I mean I struggled with that thing for 2 hours before I gave up, I had all 4 tubes on the air filter on the carbs but as I was tightening the screws the two middle ones fell off (not completely) so I just left them like that for now.. Guess I will try and get them on in the morning when there is more light and I am not so frustrated with it. I am ready to throw on some pods and call it a day.. Geezzz..

Off to bed.. Thanks for all the help today guys!

Scott..
                  with pods I think you would have to re-jet. The airbox is a pain. I even ran some wires out from the Plus and Neg posts on my battery and capped them off in case I have to put a charger on it. So I wouldn't have to take the airbox off. To reach the battery.
                  [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Yea, I was just frustrated with the whole thing. Pods would be easier, and require rejetting however I do like the stock air box, the chrome sides kinda finish off the side covers and it would not look right with out them.

I looked over Cliffs site again, I did notice a few things I need to do. So I printed off some things and may just focus on that and work on the carbs next weekend when I had some time away from them..

Scott...
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2010, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the delay

Sorry about the delay in posting my progress as I stated I would. However I spent a fair amount of time riding this beast Sunday. It has some power issues past 3k that I need to deal with however over all its running pretty well. Also, because I live in a house with 5 Internet users and they were all on (wife, kids etc..) every time I tried to upload the video it choked. Living in the middle of no where our connection is limited.. sigh..

Well here is where the bike sits today..

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Scott..

Comment

Very nice man! I'm impressed! I only get to work on my bike 2 days outta the week, reading your thread makes me want to spend more time on mine!@

Comment

Thanks Skuld, Mostly I only get the weekends. However since I have been working most Saturdays during an upgrade at work. My wife is cutting me some slack around the house to pursue my passion. I just wish I had better wrenching skills and better tools. Sigh..

Scott...

Comment

I have discovered that it's waaaaay easier to attach the airbox to the back of the carbs with them off the bike. Two screws removes the airbox from the frame. Attach it to the carbs, then put the whole assembly back on the bike together. Get the carbs installed into the intake boots, then bolt up the airbox to the frame. Sounds like a lot more to do, but it is way easier then trying to get those dang airbox boots fitted onto the back of the carbs.
                            Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                              I have discovered that it's waaaaay easier to attach the airbox to the back of the carbs with them off the bike. Two screws removes the airbox from the frame. Attach it to the carbs, then put the whole assembly back on the bike together. Get the carbs installed into the intake boots, then bolt up the airbox to the frame. Sounds like a lot more to do, but it is way easier then trying to get those dang airbox boots fitted onto the back of the carbs.
                              Thanks.. I will give that a try this weekend!

Scott ...

Comment

Fancy meeting you here....

.....say, don't I know you?

Comment

Working...
                                X