No announcement yet.

81 GS550T in Co Sprgs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work Scott, you'll be so happy you cleaned those connectors up!

Good luck with the interview!
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

You guys out there in downtown Yoder sure do spell "Simple Green" funny.

(Based on the bottle in the picture, of course. )

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      So I started with this: soaking my harness in warm water and Simple Green.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good luck, Scott. Let me know how that interview goes!

I've found that a 10-15 minute bath in Naval Jelly works really well to get any corrosion off of the brass connectors (bonus: I just happened to have a bottle laying around!). I use a little baby food jar of the stuff to bathe the connectors in situ. My process goes something like this:

1. 10-15 minutes in Naval Jelly
        2. Vigorous water bath to remove the former
        2a. Brakleen if the water wasn't enough
        3. WD-40 to displace any remaining water (hey, it's what it was made for!)
        4. Some Brakleen to finish off any remaining dirt and WD-40
        5. A generous smearing of Dielectric gel

Re-install and they look like new!

Cleaners don't reverse any corrosion - you need acid or abrasion to do that.

Comment

Won't really have time to do much else today after all but did clean up the switch...

Bottom

I also threw the new air filter into the cage. I'd bought the spray can of air filter oil but the one out of the bag was oiled pretty well so I figured I'd not worry about it.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Got the taillight socket apart, now to find where to buy new contacts

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Nice work! I still have to tackle the horrible harness on my 550.

Comment

Cowboy shoot me a PM if you want to replace the back of your Indicator panel. I have an extra one.

Paul

Comment

PM sent Paul. Thank you.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Received the new bracket for my stator wiring today and some parts to fix the headlight adjustment. Also received a new cover for my headlight switch but forgot to order the screw with it. I'll probably swing by Ace on Friday if I don't have anything here.

Bracket's in place and loc-tited down this time...

Realized tonight after it all came that I don't have room through the hole in the engine casing to fit the stator wiring connector. So, I gave myself a couple of good scratches on the hand using a paperclip and standard screwdriver getting the terminals out. I'll make sure to order the tool when I buy new connectors for the harness this weekend.

Hopefully I'll have this thing back together in time to load it on a trailer and haul it east later in March or early April. I'd like to get it running before then though so I can spend more time riding where ever I finally go.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Good stuff Scott, glad to see you got the stator back in and that bracket sorted. Fingers crossed you get her back together soon
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        Hopefully I'll have this thing back together in time to load it on a trailer and haul it east later in March or early April. I'd like to get it running before then though so I can spend more time riding where ever I finally go.
                        Does that Mean the VT job interview went well. Don't keep us guessing now.

Bike is looking good sorry the guage back did not work out. Option I was thinking about is cutting a piece of aluminum the same shape as the back, polish it up, drill a could holes and couple of small stainless steel bolts an washers will not only fixe the whole but give it a shiny custom kind of look. And aluminum is easy to work with. Good luck.

Paul

Comment

Thanks for the info Paul, I'll look into that especially if I don't find a replacement this weekend at the salvage yard.

As far as the job interview, I posted this thread on Friday saying I have a tentative job offer from the VA (haven't heard back from VTTI yet) in Dayton OH. They are starting the paperwork process to have me come in and once that is all done I'll receive a final offer. They need to send me to the Denver VA hospital to get my fingerprints and do a few other things first.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I didn't do much work today but instead found some parts I needed. I spent the morning at Steele's Cycle Salvage picking up these parts for the bike:

A new taillight and rear brake caliper dust cover from a GS850L to replace mine and the rear gauge cover (I was lucky to find this). Also managed to grab some lightbulbs for basically free.

Also ran into Zangetsu quite unexpectedly and his bobber/chopper bike. I'd never met him before and we only talked after a quick sigh of frustration on my part (looking for the gauge cover) led to me asking him what bike he had. When he said the GS1100 here, I asked if he heard of the forum. Replying he was a member, we talked for a bit and I got an up close look at his bike. Definitely an interesting look and he says it runs pretty good although he has a bit of a leak.

If you are reading this Zangetsu, give me a shout if you ever want some help working on it.

I also picked up a headlight bucket as I'd like to replace mine but realized after I got home that it was the same size as mine. I'll put it up in the parts for sale area if anyone wants it.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Glad to hear you found a back for the guage cluster. Cool when you run into fellow GSR memebers isn't it. Keep it up bro.

Paul

Comment

Great meeting you, Cowboy! I just got done reading all 20+ pages of this, cool bike, cool build! My parents along with my sister & her family live down in the Springs, if you're still around this riding season, I'll look forward to riding with you! (Don't worry, I'll leave the chopped up GS1000 at home and bring the stock Yamaha Maxim )

I really wish I wasn't waiting for my house in NJ to sell, because I've got a ton of stuff I think you could use. I've got one of those tail lights in my shed.

Comment

Working...
                                X