No announcement yet.

81 GS550T in Co Sprgs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAHA I like your thinking Flyboy and I'll keep that one in mind.

Actually I was talking with Tkent and we'll probably do that once he gets back in town. He wants to show me a couple of techniques so maybe we'll get it worked out.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Aaaah I got your name at last.. Scott... just like my brother... haha

Some excellent progress there!

I'm liking that colour on the tank too, good stuff!
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Weatherman Sorta Wrong

Wow, what a difference a day makes. We still have the 20+ mph winds and it turned cold (40ish for a high today) but at least no rain. I managed to get out and connect the chain but with that wind it's just too cold to do anything else right now. I'll try to finish up some things tomorrow after work if it gets as warm as they are saying.

In the meantime, I also thought I'd post a picture of my helpers (the youngest is my daughter Cheyenne and the oldest is my step-daughter Charmayne).

Cheyenne was helping me yesterday with the swing arm and a few other things...

And here's the chain. I just need to tighten it tomorrow afternoon

Since I'm stuck inside today I'll probably try to work on sanding the plastic sidecovers so I can paint them this week.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Not done yet Son…

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          And here's the tank after finishing the painting and clearcoat. I think it's okay but will probably be more of a ten-foot bike since a lot of dust got into my shed (no amount of plastic could probably have helped me there). I decided to ditch the black stripe idea since I like that color like it is and there's already going to be a lot of black on the bike itself.

You can keep going with the clear coat on the tank. Wet sand it with 600 grid with a drop of dish soap on the paper, a soft pad and block behind the paper. Recoat until you like it. Then buff polish it after good drying time, (read about that on the can). It'll look very good in the end.
          Bill
          PS Nice kids!
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Is that master link on the chain not on the wrong way around?
            Chain riders, please help?

Comment

Nope, it's right. The round part goes towards the front of the bike.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

As I said earlier, the wind was cold enough I didn't want to do anything outside today after putting the chain on. Instead I decided to sand off my side covers so I can get them ready for painting. Using 120 grit paper, the first one came off fairly easy but was time consuming. When I say easy, I mean it only had the one color on it.

Well, when I started on the second one I found that it had not just the top color (black) but also it looks like about three other colors:

Pretty neat coloring to say the least.

But alas, it all came off and here I am after that much.

I'm going to hit them again with 320 or 400 since I'm out of my 220 and almost out of the 320. Then I'll prime them and paint the same color as the tank.

Take care.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Nope, it's right. The round part goes towards the front of the bike.
                  Oooops , sorry, false alarm, let me rather shut up and reserve my comments to shafties.

Comment

You're fine Flyboy. Trust me, I did a lot of searching on here before installing it...plus the back of the chain box has a GREAT picture of the clip type.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

cowboy, would you be so kind to give me the size of the allen bolts you have used on the carbs?
                      I finally got around to getting the carbs off and the screws are awefully stripped and some are even missing on the plates that connect all 4. So I plan to replace them all but wanted to get an accurate size on them. Does Home Depot carry them?

Comment

Your better to go to Ace than Home Depot. I believe they were both 6mm and 5mm. What bike do you have? If you look at the parts fiche you'll see the part number which will give you the bolt sizing.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Just take a sample along with you, just remember there are two different lengths, the bowls are longer that the tops,....or the other way around, can't remember.................I suffer from CRAFT.

Comment

Drained about almost a quart of oil today after accidentally putting too much in yesterday and fixed a grounding location that Tom said might cause me problems. The screw holding the relay in place was too close to touching the positive battery cable while the bracket I was using to hold some other grounds was also too close to the same cable. I put the rubber cap back on the cable and put smaller screws in place.

Now I'm trying to figure out why my left front turn signal isn't working. The rear left is working great and it's not a bulb problem. I'm thinking grounding but not sure where to look since the front signal's grounds are fine. New rear lights but they are grounding fine to the frame so I'm missing something.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                              Now I'm trying to figure out why my left front turn signal isn't working. The rear left is working great and it's not a bulb problem. I'm thinking grounding but not sure where to look since the front signal's grounds are fine.
                              You have a test light?

Take the lens off the signal, remove the bulb from the socket. Connect your test light clip to a good ground, turn on the key and the signal switch, verify that you have power at the terminal at the bottom of the socket. If you do, put the bulb back in, touch your test light to the outer part of the socket. If you have power there, you still have a grounding problem.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ahhh, thanks Steve. I'll check that out tomorrow; only because I have to finish some schoolwork tonight. Course, I could let you answer the questions about SQL databases, right?

Okay, I couldn't wait. I have power inside at the base of the socket but I'm unsure what you mean by outer part of the socket. Is that all the way outside of the housing or still with the lens cap off and inside where the bulb goes.

Sorry, I could actually use a picture of this if someone can show me. Thanks.
                                Last edited by cowboyup3371; 04-18-2011, 01:01 AM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                                X