No announcement yet.

82 gs450t bobber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't believe you would trust someone from Avon Park to do your welding.. lol. Looking good man.

Comment

he is from sebring not avon park...lol but he does really good work

Comment

update: so i have the engine out of the bike and ready to rebuild...ill take pics of the rebuild when working on it but here are some pics!

Comment

lovin it. glad to see some more gs bobbers. also glad to see it getting a warm welcome.

Comment

And you could always fill the cut section of the frame with fiberglass or bondo. Not a structure issue there so why not keep it simple?

Comment

i think im goin to get some kind of hard plastic caps that fit into the hole just to keep a majority of the water out until my buddy can make time at his welding shop...but please if yall have any ideas send them my way!!!

Comment

Originally posted by adam89 View Post
                please if yall have any ideas send them my way!!!
                make some struts or lowering links for the rear... that sucker needs to be WAY lower, looks funny stock height

Comment

i took apart the valve cover to find that the gasket was destroyed so i scraped the old crap off and used the gasket maker and put the valve cover back on...hopefully ill have the motor back in the bike tomorrow and runnning by thursday!!!

it doesnt look pretty but gets the job done

Comment

it doesnt look pretty but gets the job done
                    Please, for the love of your engine, get rid of that red crap.

Silicone just won't do well in that environment, and when it flakes off on the inside, ...
                    well, let's just say that there is no guarantee where it will go.
                    sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oh gosh, don't run that engine! Take the cover off, clean all that goop off, clean the gasket off both the cover and the head, and please, please start over.
                      The first three pics were NOT pics of cleaned items, there was a lot of work to do there. You should see metal on all those surfaces, I saw mostly old gasket material. Be careful and meticulous here, this is your engine's life you are talking about.

Comment

in the first three pics i hadnt cleaned up the old gasket yet...i didnt take after pics of the clean up. but the gasket maker stuff was made for valve covers, why wouldnt it work in this situation....plus hours are gettin cut for the summer so this was more in my price range...eventually i will redo all the gaskets in the motor but will this stuff last for atleast another year for me to get through schooling?

Comment

so while the motor was out of the bike i decided to scrub the frame and motor...took some purple power degreaser and soaked everything...this stuff is amazing!!! not to mention works great on the wheels and exhaust! ill get pics up in alittle bit...

Comment

in the first three pics i hadnt cleaned up the old gasket yet...i didnt take after pics of the clean up. but the gasket maker stuff was made for valve covers, why wouldnt it work in this situation....plus hours are gettin cut for the summer so this was more in my price range...eventually i will redo all the gaskets in the motor but will this stuff last for atleast another year for me to get through schooling?
                            You may have cleaned up the goop from the outside, but, it smushed out on the inside of the cover where you can't see. If a piece of this...goop...flakes off and makes it way to an oil passage you will starve the engine of oil and she will burn up cams, valves and who knows what else !!!! All your work won't look very good sitting under the carport with a burnt up engine. Please get a proper valve cover gasket, you're just asking for trouble.
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

....plus hours are gettin cut for the summer so this was more in my price range...
                              OK, so the tube of red crap was ... how much? From Amazon.com, it's $5.65.

A new valve cover gasket from Parts-n-More is either $8 or $9, depending on your engine serial number.
                              (But they have a $35 minimm order, you you will have to get other stuff, too.)

A new valve cover gasket from PartShark is either $11.13 or $16.39, again, depending on engine serial number.

Great, you saved $11.

Somehow, I don't think you can rebuild the engine for less than $11 when it starves for oil because some of that red crap plugged up an oil passage.

Sorry for the rant, but this is yet another time when someone who does not fully understand the mechanics of motorcycle engines decides to take the (apparently) cheap way to fix something. There is a REASON we suggest that you use the proper gaskets, do a full carb dip instead of just spraying the float bowl area, etc., etc. No, it's not because we get a cut of the proceeds, we are just trying to save you the aggravation of going what WE went through trying to learn this stuff on our own.

I just looked at the picture again and noticed that some silicone had also gottin into the threads for the hold-down screws.
                              All I have to say now is "Good Luck".

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

think of it this way..... ya see how much of that red crap squeezed out of the join on the outside?... well at least the same ammount squeezed out of the joint on the inside too.... outside is fine, inside is bad cos on the inside there are ............... oilways!

so you didn't bother with a gasket at all?.... just sealer?

lol - good luck on that fella.... it's gonna end in tears...

Comment

Working...
                                X