GSX1100ET - rebuild from boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
    looking good mate, what paint did you use on the bits and pieces?
    VHT Satin Black caliper paint. Used the same stuff on my brakes as well.

Comment

Front master cylinder looked like it might be a throwaway, especially as the piston was really jammed in there - it really took some getting out! Surprisingly though the bore was fine:

Question: why does the rear MC rebuild kit come in a box whereas the front comes in a bag?

79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Frame picked up from the powder coaters. I've lost count of how many frames these boys have done for me over the last 25 years or so but it's perfection every time.

Thought I'd bolt a few things together and as the sun was shining go for a (very short and slow) ride:

And here it is from the other side - showing off my son's new car. He's on L plates so if you see it coming clear the road....

79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Been putting off tackling the carbs - what mysteries lurk in there? The carb bodies weren't in too bad a shape - this is after a very quick clean:

The tops and float bowls were pretty corroded - they'll be getting a lot of work to polish up.

Just as I thought, the jets and screws were all really stuck in and there were a few small bits missing. I might be begging on here if I can't find the stuff in my garage.

All the rubbers were completely perished / gone hard. A good job we've got Robert Barr looking after us. Spot the mix of BS and VM O rings - lucky for me he labels everything so clearly:

79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Working...
          X