No announcement yet.

Fuel tank upgrade, putting the "G" in my "L"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a serviceable 750 (83) petcock if any good for you...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

So if I understand this you are running L leading axle forks in G (non leading axle) trees?

Comment

Yes.. that's what he said. Increases rake a little bit I think....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Now I am all for more gas in the tank, but Steve said his wife has an 850 L with 4.5 gal... so couldnt you just find that tank to swap? I know for me with the 650L it would involve a big process like you did. I think my easiest swap will of course just be an upgrade in the bike, eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            Yes.. that's what he said. Increases rake a little bit I think....
            No.. The rake on L and E,G trees is identical...
            I've had both on my 79 L and measured it.
            the big difference is the offset in the trees..
            L trees have 3/4" less offset than E/G trees. (distance from the stem to stanchion CL)

This is to compensate for the leading axle adding about 3/4" offset.

They did all this to keep the trail consistent between L and E/G forks..
            Near as I could measure Trail and rake were identical between L and E fork sets..

By mixing L forks with E/G trees you are shortening trail by almost an inch making it close to the trail on a GSXR.. Something like 3.8 inches if I remember.

Top clamps..
            Top is a L
            bottom is a E
            Note the difference in offset.

Anyway.. If you figure out what the new tank is from I'd love to know.. the tank on my L is in sad shape..

Comment

About the petcock, cant you just make it a "low reserve" by cutting down the straw a bit? I just leave mine to always be on reserve and watch the miles instead of the gas gauge to know when to fill up. Anything over 100 miles I start looking, usually I put 2-2.5 gallons in my 3ish gallon tank that way depending how far after 100 I find a station.

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
                No.. The rake on L and E,G trees is identical...
                I've had both on my 79 L and measured it.
                the big difference is the offset in the trees..
                L trees have 3/4" less offset than E/G trees. (distance from the stem to stanchion CL)

This is to compensate for the leading axle adding about 3/4" offset.

They did all this to keep the trail consistent between L and E/G forks..
                Near as I could measure Trail and rake were identical between L and E fork sets..

By mixing L forks with E/G trees you are shortening trail by almost an inch making it close to the trail on a GSXR.. Something like 3.8 inches if I remember.

Top clamps..
                Top is a L
                bottom is a E
                Note the difference in offset.

Anyway.. If you figure out what the new tank is from I'd love to know.. the tank on my L is in sad shape..
                Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                About the petcock, cant you just make it a "low reserve" by cutting down the straw a bit? I just leave mine to always be on reserve and watch the miles instead of the gas gauge to know when to fill up. Anything over 100 miles I start looking, usually I put 2-2.5 gallons in my 3ish gallon tank that way depending how far after 100 I find a station.
                First one first: I didn't measure (just eyeballed) so I "assumed" I had lengthened the rake somewhat. The picture you provided is accurate. IF you could find an '82 850L tank, the same logisitcs of attachment to frame would exist (some welding, fab and assembly required), it bolts with two bolts at the rear of the tank, just like the one I have, which someone said came from a 550.

I could shorten the straw, but I didn't want to disturb the strainer, since it was in good shape, and the petcock works properly. I just know that when I'm cruising at 75mph, my mileage stinks and I have to shift to reserve at 84 miles on the trip odometer. My gas gauge does work now, by the way, not entirely accurate, but then it never was to begin with. When the needle gets in the red, I'm looking for a gas station, because by then I've got about a gallon left.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  Have a serviceable 750 (83) petcock if any good for you...
                  Dan, I'm making a trip to CA in September, maybe I'll take the ride to the ocean from the desert where my mom lives and drop by. I could do it then. I'll let you know when I get out there.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                    Dan, I'm making a trip to CA in September, maybe I'll take the ride to the ocean from the desert where my mom lives and drop by. I could do it then. I'll let you know when I get out there.
                    Hey DantheMan, let me know too. I'd love to show you a couple of my favorite mountain roads in my back yard.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hey DantheMan, let me know too. I'd love to show you a couple of my favorite mountain roads in my back yard.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                      I'll do that, I'd planned on giving you a shout when I get out there too. There's a good chance I've been on a lot of them in the past, I grew up in Redondo Beach and I was stationed in San Diego most of my Navy career.

Comment

Working...
                      X