• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is all I can say!!
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

She's a beaut can't wait to see her in person,nice work John.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
        No doubt ! Did you have it re-chromed ? Fabulous !!
        Thanks Dave, believe it or not that's an original exhaust (a survivor, if you will), it was a real find and came complete with heat shields. We found 4 broken exhaust studs when the PO's header was removed, not a huge deal since the head was coming off anyway to repair a leaking gasket.

Finding parts wasn't too bad but the available supply is dwindling, there won't likely be many more restorations like this. Boulevard Suzuki says this was their "biggest order of parts for an '80 Suzuki, ever". Here's a look at one of the orders

The original tank, seat and a broken side-cover were replaced with perfect-condition pieces from an '81 750E (they're identical). The cases, swingarm, wheels and other shiny bits were hand-polished to a high lustre. Shed loads of little parts and pieces were repaired or replaced, having been changed to non OE over the years.

From a purely economic point of view, restoring the '80E back to its original condition isn't going to produce a profit. We restrained ourselves and didn't go nuts, finding deals on parts and watching the budget, but this wasn't inexpensive (about $8K total - includes purchase of bike, all parts, labor and shipping). I don't plan to sell her and expect to put a lot of miles behind me.

I hope to run across a lot of New England GSers this summer. Please stop me if you see me tooling by
        Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2010, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          Nice job, very, very well done... perhaps we'll cross paths here around NE this Summer.
          That would be cool, I'd love to meet and have a chance to ride together

Originally posted by hacksaw55 View Post
          She's a beaut can't wait to see her in person,nice work John.
          Thanks man! What are you doing next weekend? Maybe we could get together, bring the two bikes out for some exercise? That '82E is waiting for you...

Comment

Does the company that did your restoration have a website? I'd like a set of bars like yours for my 81
            Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2010, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by will61310 View Post
              Does the company that did your restoration have a website? I'd like a set of bars like yours for my 81
              The handlebars are OE and came with the bike, you could try Boulevard Suzuki.

Comment

Bike looks awesome, Tom....enjoy!
                '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

looks great mate!!... nice job

Comment

Fantastic looking bike, just amazing!

Comment

man! that is tasty! Good job man

Comment

heres my 1980 i owned about four years ago. i loved the bike too. i'm always keeping my eye out for another.

Comment

Originally posted by wes cooley View Post
                          heres my 1980 i owned about four years ago. i loved the bike too. i'm always keeping my eye out for another.
                          Wow! Your '80E was really nice, much nicer than mine when I first got her

I remember having a very hard time deciding whether or not to buy the GS1100E or GS1000S back in 1980. My local dealer had one of each on the showroom floor and I was flush with hard-earned paperboy money. I really wanted the "Wes Cooley Replica" but the dealer insisted I "just had to ride this new 1100!" He was right and I was hooked, that '80E was one of the very best bikes I've ever ridden. I consoled myself later by buying the first Arai "Wes Cooley replica" helmet (and the Arai Signet version, too)

I don't plan to ever sell this bike, but if I did I'd definitely dig selling it to Wes Cooley...
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2010, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Look great.

Can i send you mine?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser Sosei View Post
                              Look great. Can i send you mine?
                              Thanks, much appreciated!!

You, too, can have the same resto I had!! Contact John Wilson at Akron Suzuki Motorworks (http://suzuki-gs-bikes.smugmug.com/), he's an expert wrench and all-around great guy!!

Yes, square headlights DO RULE

Comment

Working...
                              X