The Chronicles of Suzy- 82 GS850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Work

As I stated before I am not gonna go into too much detail , just the highlights.

Question:

Dear Uncle Rat,
    Some ham fisted cretin smushed my fuel screens , and I am afraid to un smush them with a sharp pointy stick , what should I do ?

Answer:

You need the super fuel screen un-smusher tool ! ( ok its a bent welding rod )

Dingy fuel bowls ? Buff those puppies !

Only needed a couple parts to straighten these things out .

Re-assembly time !

Just to show they went back together

Bottom side

Later

Rat

Comment

Assembly and the test start

Well now that the carbs are cleaned up I put them on back on the motor .

New intake boots from Suzuki
      Stainless fasteners and new O-rings from http://www.cycleorings.com/

A couple pics

Lookin' Sad ( waiting for re-assembly )

Ahhh the beauty of new boots and stainless fasteners

home again

The result ,
      Hooked up the gas , no leaks , starts fine , even idles pretty good considering there is no airbox yet . Sounds ready to go but I have a few things to address before I can road test the bike .

Rat

Comment

The Oil Leak

One of Suzy's problems was a oil leak from the front of the motor , the tach drive to be exact .

Forum member terrylee suggested it was a easy fix ( it was , cheap too )

Sure enough BikeCliff's Website had a guide made up to walk me through it .

A few pics

Unacceptable ( 15 minutes of run time )

The Culprit ( been leaking a while by the looks of it )

Inner tach drive seal might have a tiny bit of wear ( new seal is on the left )

New inner and outer tach drive seal solved the problem

Later
        Rat

Comment

The Sweatsock Air filter ( and the fix )

Now that Suzy starts and runs I had to get some sort of Air Fliter on there .

She came with the stock airbox , which is missing the end caps and was removed by the previous owner .

The air filter that was in there has to be seen to be believed .

The sweatsock air filter !

Yet Another shot of this fine piece of engineering

Pretty sure there is supposed to be a gasket here

The result of all this air filtration

Fixing the air filter ( my version of the Mr. Roostabunny Airbox sealing repair )

My weapon choice , foam tape used to seal truck caps to pickup beds ( its solvent resistant , and I had some )

All trimmed up

Probably not as good as the sweat socks but it will have to do

After scubbing all the gook out of that airbox , I reassembled , reinstalled on Suzy and another piece of the puzzle is done !

Rat

Comment

Nice work on those carbs. Thanks for sharing.

I'd go after the valves now since it's a pretty fair bet some will be overly tight. Sadly, many people neglect this critical bit of maintenance which is a real shame since the valve train on these GS bikes is so stable and reliable.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The test ride , and more carnage

Well as I stated in my last post , Suzy started , ran and idled but had yet to be ridden ( by me ) . I changed the oil , the old stuff smelled of varnished gas , not a good sign . Put on my lovely airbox . Aired up the tires and front forks ( yup we will be needing fork seals before this is through ) and off we go ...

30 miles later I got enough info to figure out whats next .

All in all engine was pretty good ran real well , carb work payed off big time , especially since I have yet to hook up the gauges and actually tune the darn things .

Clutch engages and dis-engages , smooth is NOT in its vocabulary however

Electrically got more work to do , charging system is functional
              Amazingly the suzuki self cancelling turn signals are still working
              Neutral light MIA
              Low beam lighting MIA
              Instrument lighting on tach only
              Fuel gauge works !
              Front brake light switch dead
              that idiotic gear indicator still works ( do they ever die ? )

The exaust has seen better days , the crossover pipe is shot , and while it sounds really cool at low speeds , it sounds like crap at speed .

more work to do , no pics for this one

Rat

Comment

Looks like you have a good plan of action. One step at a time. When get your bike squared away you will have something to be proud of. There is nothing like the feeling you get when you have done the work yourself.
                80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Exhaust , how I hate ye

As I mentioned before the exhaust crossover on suzy was shot , I decided to do the bypass thing for it . No problem I thought, all I got to do is get those two center exhaust headers off ............

~~RIGHT~~

like I had a chance in hell of if being that simple .....

I soaked the bolts in PB blaster , I did a couple with the acetone ATF blend , I have torches and I know how to use em' .

The result , 4 of the 8 bolts snapped like twigs .

Oh the clever adjectives I learned to express my Joy !

I really considered parting suzy out , I really wasn't to happy at this point

But I am stubborn I guess so I started the wonderful process of pulling the motor just to try and drill these puppies out

I HAVE been here before , I owned Honda's and VW's.

Pics are sketchy , I was really up in the air at this point.

Motor out ( dang that went fast ! )

28 years of grungy

Outside , waiting for a bath

Drilled , tapped , and waiting on a long bath in gunk

Waiting to go back home ( NOW is the perfect time to check the valves )

Later
                  Rat

Comment

Exhaust , how I hate ye Part 2

Just some pics of putting the engine back into the frame

Rat

Engine back into the frame

If can only remember how these wires went ?

Obligatory burnt stator connector shot ( did EVERY single GS850 do this ? )

thats better

Comment

Yup , I was warned

Well I wasted 20 bucks on this thing .

My petcock had a leaky diaphragm in it ( which explained how that #2 cylinder idled when the carb had a clogged idle circut initially )

Yes I got me a rebuild kit , NOPE it didnt work ( in fact the petcock just stayed on from that point )

Now I think I only read in these forums about a hundred times to replace , not rebuild the petcock .

~~YOU GUYS TOLD ME SO~~

lol

And at about one in the morning , when you are going to install your spiffy NEW petcock AND you realize it doesn't come with the sealing washers for the bolts AND you didn't think to order any .

You can make a leak free subsitute by fabbing new washers from the side of a plastic oil container , just punch the center hole , cut the outside with a pair of scissors . wala , new washers

Ask me how I know .....

Rat

Comment

Haha that ought to do it for now. I used a chunk out of the airbox boots I had just replaced. It was just hard enough and just soft enough to get the job done. I have a pack of the washers now (they seem to come in a bag of ten or so), so I can replace the washers on the float bowl drain screws, the secondary drive oil level check screw, etc.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Fun with the wire wheel

OK I am alright with patina ( I am called rat after all ) , I know people pay big bucks for it , but Suzy is a bit excessive in this department .

You too can remove excess patina on bolts and such with a wire wheel just keep a light touch so as not to destroy the chrome entirely .

Obviously I would avoid this on anything you would really want to be shiny as the wheel will scratch the hell out of fenders and such .

Very poor shot of the footpeg bracket with the WAY expensive Scratchmaster 1000 in the background .

Yes I cleaned the oxidation off , NO you dont get to see , I forgot to take pics . ( the cast part not the shiny part , that was done with the Buffmaster 1000 ( Noooo you cant afford it ))

See ? excess " patina " ( backside of shifter )

much better

trust me the bolt on the right was just as crappy when I started

Later
                          Rat

Comment

The airbox part 2

OK after much research , I have decided that the L model airbox was built by elves in the magic forest . Therefore not only are the pieces damn expensive they are kind of scarce . ( I have been missing the endcovers and seals from the start )

But through the miracle of Ebay I was able to score a standard airbox, semi-complete for a standard model from Canada

I don't know if this has ever come up so I will interject my own comments

YES
                            You CAN put a standard G model airbox on a L model Frame
                            You CAN use the airbox boots from the L airbox on the G airbox

NO
                            You CANNOT use the air filter frame from the L airbox in your G airbox
                            You will forever be cursed with a mis-match from the curve of the G airbox covers and your L model side covers

But it Will work

As an interesting side note the allen screws for the vacuum ports on a trashed set of engine intake boots make a nice upgrade for the airbox cover retention screws ( if I only had some of those .. )

Comparison shot , L model left , G model right
                            and yes the duct tape is MINE ( DOH )

See ? it fits !

Almost spiffy

The cursed mis-match (but WAYYY better than duct tape)
                            PS there's that darn footrest bracket I never took a pic of

Later
                            Rat

Comment

The airbox you have installed is from an 80-81, maybe 79 too. It's not a G vs L thing.
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Now this is a thread!!

Comment

Working...
                                X