The Chronicles of Suzy- 82 GS850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Electrical update I never Posted

It dawned on me I never updated on the electrical issues , they were all pretty minor , but I might as well throw em up here

Snitched from an earlier post

Amazingly the Suzuki self canceling turn signals are still working .

Still do, work perfectly , I just wish they was a way to adjust the DURATION they stay on when your rolling , I frequently have to re-activate the things . ( have the SAME issue with the signals on my Harley )

Neutral light MIA

Bullet connector was unplugged under the tank , works fine now .

Low beam lighting MIA

Somehow managed to get it working again after I removed and re-installed the engine . never did find the culprit though .

Instrument lighting on tach only

Bulbs , works fine now .

Fuel gauge works !

Still does , E on the gauge leaves a bit more reserve gas than I would like to see though

Front brake light switch dead

Followed a guide on BikeCliff's site , works fine now .

That idiotic gear indicator still works ( do they ever die ? )

Still works , I got a minor rant though .

Back in the day , I had a GT380 , (probably the most hard to kill bike ever built) . 73 or 74 , I can't remember exactly . But anyway it had the indicator except it was an actual LED display and WAY cooler than the one on Suzy , what a step backwards .

Also had a GT550 , It was real early , double drum brakes , no gear indicator , but it had a little chrome Suzuki medallion between the speedo and tach , that medallion was the high beam indicator and glowed red when it was on . Cool stuff , that was the early 70's . what happened ?

Ok end rant , lol

I have also found some mods done to Suzy , probably done by someone who had a clue , which ruled out the last couple owners .

The clutch switch has been removed and bypassed . ( which I probably would have done myself )

The side stand switch has been removed . ( again I probably would have done that too )

The now useless side stand warning lamp was paralleled to the low oil pressure lamp so you have two red warning lamps in the event of a oil issue . (Clever)

Sorry no pics on this one , but I figured somebody might find it interesting

Rat
    Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2010, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornswaggle View Post
      Looking great! It's motivating to see you tackle it piece by piece, thanks for sharing your adventure.
      Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
      Wow, I haven't seen the bike in a bit, but it looks like you are definitely treating her right!
      Thanks guys

Rat

Comment

Nawww , no need to change the brake fluid

Well I have been riding Suzy , no real issues to speak of .
        But the little voice in my head kept saying " Brake fluid Rat , Brake fluid "
        I found this odd since that voice usually tells me to buy more beer.

I actually planned to do this off riding season since all was working fine .

Good thing

Why maybe, you should not put this off

Yummy stuff

Normally I wouldn't drain the master , but geez

When it turns to snot , its fried !

Why running without the dust caps on your bleeders is a bad idea

The brake bleeder cleaning kit

After a traumatic procedure such as this , its ok to give you bike a treat
        ( Hey, it is a L model after all )

Now all i got to do is the rear brake

Rat

Comment

Ebay Score

Well first off , got the rear brake fluid changed out. Was a tiny bit better than the front.

Now on to today

One of things about Suzy thats been buggin me , was the lack of highway pegs , I am 6 ft 2 , and I do feel the need to stretch out a bit . Tiny bit cramped , but more comfortable than I figured I would be .

Of course highway pegs require some crash guards to mount them to , of which I had none . I figured another trek into the enchanted forest . But Low and behold I found a reasonably priced set of Robart crash bars up in Canada on Ebay .

The downside , a busted tab ( which was clearly described in the ad ). but otherwise they looked pretty good , so I pulled the trigger .

What you don't get to see ( couldn't get pics clear enough ) , the actual gas welding repair . I actually ended up repairing 2 tabs , one had broke in half ( but seller included the busted piece ), and had another one with a healthy crack in it .

Then of course my two repaired tabs had a huge welded spot to rust, so I just sprayed all the tabs black to make them uniform

Fresh out of the box

repaired , painted , ready to go on

Actually they are on the bike , I will put up some more pics when I take em .

Rat

Comment

Loved the saga...got a lot from it, too. Thanks!

Comment

Betcha thought the ole Rat was gone for good

Nope , didn't happen . I did have some problems out in the world that made me back burner the whole motorcycle thing for a while . And of course winter came much too hard , and way to early to Ohio ,anyway .

All in all , I think Suzy's first year of repair and rebirth was a fantastic success !

I manage to keep my face into the wind .
              I actually fixed some stuff.
              I had fun.
              Did I mention that whole into the wind thing ?

OK , now hopefully between snowstorms and floods I can knock out a couple of projects .

the next couple of posts are actually from last summer , before things got too out of whack . But more Parts have been ordered , wrenches will fly , the BUFFMASTER will..........BUFF !

Rat

Comment

the long lost crash bar post

I did take some pics of the crash bars installed on Suzy . I also had a cheapo set of highway pegs that ultimately I decided to leave off .

Suzy, crash bars installed, with the highway pegs installed in the ultra cool low position

better view of the low position , BTW this is a shin buster , don't do it !

Not to mention the seriously handicapped lean angle.

Which led me to the more functional , but not very rewarding , higher position. ( not to mention screwing up the looks IMO )

So I ended up with this , no highway pegs for now at least , I just like the looks better this way.

I see there is a different style of footrest for these , I will find a deal on some eventually

Later
                Rat

Comment

Last of the projects from summer 2010

Well this one is a bit patchy on the pics , but basically it has to do with the rear shocks and the patina winning the war . OK , it's an L model , the shocks probably weren't the best when they were new . They are a bit chrome heavy , but they appear to work enough to satisfy me , and I figured they were pretty flashy when new .

But look lousy now ( this is the good side )

Other side

Now what I did was pull the springs off the shocks , it can be done . I won't be showing you how I did it since i did not have approved tools . But I will say this .

RESPECT the springs , they have more than enough stored energy to mess up you , your bike , possibly your life . I have worked with springs and spring steel for more than 20 years , I have seen more than enough damage the stuff can cause if you don't respect it.

OK , enough of that , this shot shows one shock dis-assembled and one re-assembled after spending some time with the buffmaster .

Afraid thats all the pics I have for now . but the other one turned out about as nice .

Later
                  Rat

Comment

Okay this has been a burning question. How did you take apart the shocks. Mine are that bad too and I want to clean them up also. What kind of spring compressor do you use. If you have a picture that would be great ( we know you like using the camera ). I am wanting to actually buff the shock and powdercoat the springs black.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                      Okay this has been a burning question. How did you take apart the shocks. Mine are that bad too and I want to clean them up also. What kind of spring compressor do you use. If you have a picture that would be great ( we know you like using the camera ). I am wanting to actually buff the shock and powdercoat the springs black.
                      OK , the top of the "spring assembly" is a c clip of sorts and once the spring is collapsed / lowered it slides out and the rest will be apparent .

As for pics of my compressor setup , that isn't happening . I mean zero disrespect , really, it's just that springs are dangerous if they get away from you . I couldn't live with myself if someone got hurt using " the setup Rat showed me ".

I would post your question to the suspension section , it has probably been shown before . Or take em to a bike shop and let them do it , probably wouldn't cost too much , the labor is minimal , takes about 5 minutes with proper tools.

just read the thread on your 550 , its looking good !

Rat

Comment

Thanks for the response. Shop sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                        X