No announcement yet.

1978 GS1000E Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, you may want to start with replacing all of the fluids and peeking in the cylinders. Maybe a shot or two of WD in there. After that some gas with a little seafoam in it. I'd bet with a good scrubbing that bike would be pretty fun. Ugly but fun.

Comment

Just got back from my day out with my wife. I peaked in the Gas tank... Wasn't pleased to see rust. It's not horrible rust but rust nonetheless. Have a feeling I'll be buying a good amount of white vinegar and some stainless steel bolts... I was reading POR-15 or Caswells works nicely afterwards. I would concentrate on the Carbs when I have the Fuel tank filled with Vinegar. I think this will be done tomorrow, I need to find if my local Car Quest has carb dip...

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
        Actually, you may want to start with replacing all of the fluids and peeking in the cylinders. Maybe a shot or two of WD in there. After that some gas with a little seafoam in it. I'd bet with a good scrubbing that bike would be pretty fun. Ugly but fun.
        Well, of course...

Comment

What part of Maine?

That bike was clearly loved at some point, and the mods are quality. The yosh pipe is sought after on this list, as are the Marzocci shocks. Tons of potential there.

I would also try to see if it will fire.

My brother in Etna would probably buy that rusty rack for his 1100G.

I have a '78 GS1000 that I like a lot.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

That's a very cool bike, shame it sat outside like that! I'd really love to see what you do with her, subscribed.

Comment

Good score there old mate .
              Be careful though , the old bloke that owned this bike will be watching you .
              Personally , I'd pull the entire bike (engine included) down ,and rebuild it to how he had it . He was obviously a "rider" who was passionate .
              $hit loads of karma there AND you'll have an absolooodle brilliant ride.

Or you could make a bobber ..............

Have fun .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Here's ma seat and frame:

So I have replaced all fluids. I didn't realize when doing the oil change that the 4-1 exhaust rested over the oil drain... I had to remove the exhaust to replace the oil It was filled with oil from the amount I got from it about 2-3 quarts.

I removed the gas tank and could hear particles inside. I was told from a friend who attended a car/bike event to research Metal Rescue. I admit I'm not to be taken in by hoaxes and promising the sun, but he told me that some people that were there, were genuinely happy about the rust they removed from some parts. I went to their website and checked their videos etc. I want to try this product out... I will likely remove the petcock and seal off the openings... I admit the petcock looks stellar...

So onward with my journey. Was given advise from mechanically saavy friends to get a bottle of marvel mystery oil, take out the spark plugs and fill the cylinders with it and let it sit for a while or so then try turning it over.

I hooked the battery connections to a known working car battery and was hoping... turned the key, saw the lights on the console *was thinking ooooooooo great!!!* switched it to on, pushed the clutch and then pressed start....

Nothing. I can push the bike around in 5th gear so that there tells me my engine may not be seized... I might have a problem with my starter... Back to the manual and to see if I am missing anything. Feel free to comment and give some ideas. =^.^= Sorry if I am boring you guys/gals.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2010, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Try to get a good ground on the plate that starter solenoid is bolted.
                  with all the rust on this bike + the poor enginering of suzuki(the plate is rubber mounted) i will check this first.Or you could try to jump the solenoid.
                  Marc
                  AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                  1978 GS1000C X2
                  1978 GS1000E X2
                  1979 GS1000S
                  1979 gs1000
                  1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
                    Try to get a good ground on the plate that starter solenoid is bolted.
                    with all the rust on this bike + the poor enginering of suzuki(the plate is rubber mounted) i will check this first.Or you could try to jump the solenoid.
                    Marc
                    You know what... I can't believe I didn't think about it... Isn't there a kickstand autokill? I don't have a center stand *sigh* and haven't bought a swing-arm lift... I totally forgot about that... I'll have to research tomorrow... Sigh.

Time for more forum research to see if I can confirm this...

Comment

Originally posted by Skuld View Post
                      You know what... I can't believe I didn't think about it... Isn't there a kickstand autokill? I don't have a center stand *sigh* and haven't bought a swing-arm lift... I totally forgot about that... I'll have to research tomorrow... Sigh.

Time for more forum research to see if I can confirm this...
                      "Isn't there a kickstand autokill?"

Not on that bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Skuld View Post
                        ...snip... I hooked the battery connections to a known working car battery and was hoping... turned the key, saw the lights on the console *was thinking ooooooooo great!!!* switched it to on, pushed the clutch and then pressed start....

Nothing. I can push the bike around in 5th gear so that there tells me my engine may not be seized... I might have a problem with my starter... Back to the manual and to see if I am missing anything. Feel free to comment and give some ideas. =^.^= Sorry if I am boring you guys/gals.
                        First of all, awesome project. That thing is badass with some cool period mods.

As far as your starting problem I'd check and clean the starter solenoid grounds as kochic suggested. I'd also check the clutch interlock switch, which can be defeated by connecting the two bullet connectors in the headlight bucket.

Good luck.

Comment

So I was going to do some work today, but there was this old man, who was collecting bottles, one of the homeless I've seen around the shelter downtown... Sat in my driveway and watched me start to work on my bike. He was asking all sorts of questions I didn't have the time or want to answer... Sadly I couldn't take it anymore and decided to pack up and bring my stuff inside... Such a nice day too...
                          Here's some pics.

Went ahead and changed all the fuses...

Comment

Heh, looks better than mine when I first got it...
                            But when they need restored they need restored. Regardless of the condition.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by JTsGS650 View Post
                              First of all, awesome project. That thing is badass with some cool period mods.

As far as your starting problem I'd check and clean the starter solenoid grounds as kochic suggested. I'd also check the clutch interlock switch, which can be defeated by connecting the two bullet connectors in the headlight bucket.

Good luck.
                              Haven't been able to touch my bike till now. I swear another unexpected event/work comes up and I will go bonkers!! This last week has been killer... Hope everyone was safe this 4th!

Got my hd camera out and made a little video. Thoughts? I believe it might be my wiring to the ignition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs-fvkGYM_E

Comment

Back again...

Sorry about the delay, dealing with real life issues/work/my teeth! As of late I have been wrapped up in my only days off during the week while not working... so far it's been wedding related things for my wife's brother... then family stops by... I'm sure you all know how it is... But I buckled down and went into my garage and played with my carbs...

Now am I able to use this you think on the floats? There's very little if at all any varnish that I can see when I move them via the throttle mechanism. They move really well. Any thoughts count! I'm going to hit this puppy hard this month.

Comment

Working...
                                X