No announcement yet.

1978 GS1000E Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to see an update too. Looks like you got a screamer. Get that thing running!

Comment

Yeah man, I like this build!

Comment

Project Phoenix

Good Afternoon all. Sorry about the lack of updates. Personal issues these last few months (wisdom teeth pulled, wife's car needing a head-gasket repair, christmas season). I haven't lost interest at all... I'm actually really really psych'd to start back on this.

A list of things to come.

1: Plan to clean the tank like a boss, likely to vinegar clean and use a liner kit.
        2: I don't know the status of the petcock @ this time. Likely to just replace, as reading on this forum shows a complete disdain for rebuilding a petcock.
        3: I'm not an electrician but I did post a video of the engine cranking momentarily jumping wise, so coming from the ignition switch it's not going. I have a multimeter I plan to use and try to see the path and if there's voltage going through the lines.
        4: Cleaning up the 4-1 exhaust. Likely to sand the **** outta it and then do a black matte heat paint.
        5: Fix the breaks on both ends, and replace the tires as they are dry rotted.
        6: Headlamp case, it has evidence of a drop on it, funny, when connected all lights work, headlight/tail light/blinkers.

Sorry to all those that subscribed and I didn't deliver... But the phoenix is reborn and my passion to get this bike going is strong.

Comment

Thanks for the update.We're all balancing the non bike life with the bike life so we know what your up against.Fixing the beasts as time allows.Doing the same myself.(gs1000) restoration.

1978 GS1000C
          1979 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000E
          2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Skuld View Post
            Good Afternoon all. Sorry about the lack of updates. Personal issues these last few months (wisdom teeth pulled, wife's car needing a head-gasket repair, christmas season). I haven't lost interest at all... I'm actually really really psych'd to start back on this.

A list of things to come.

1: Plan to clean the tank like a boss, likely to vinegar clean and use a liner kit.
            2: I don't know the status of the petcock @ this time. Likely to just replace, as reading on this forum shows a complete disdain for rebuilding a petcock.
            3: I'm not an electrician but I did post a video of the engine cranking momentarily jumping wise, so coming from the ignition switch it's not going. I have a multimeter I plan to use and try to see the path and if there's voltage going through the lines.
            4: Cleaning up the 4-1 exhaust. Likely to sand the **** outta it and then do a black matte heat paint.
            5: Fix the breaks on both ends, and replace the tires as they are dry rotted.
            6: Headlamp case, it has evidence of a drop on it, funny, when connected all lights work, headlight/tail light/blinkers.

Sorry to all those that subscribed and I didn't deliver... But the phoenix is reborn and my passion to get this bike going is strong.
            Good to hear Skuld. For a petcock you can use a 2001 (other years as well) Kawasaki Sherpa KLR250. Vacuum petcock works just like yours. I have one on my '78 GS1000. Call your dealer and see how much you can get the assembly for.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Necro'ing.

Comment

Just doing some updates. Got myself a battery, finally going to focus on the bike. tomorrow's Friday and I have nothing planned after work. It's been a real ball buster, resigned from one job and got into another within the last 2 months. Mucho-happier at my new job. Work with a buddy who was given a Gs450(? I think), and another friend recently got another bike he's fixing up. He's been doing this for a little while now, so he's been getting me stoked.

Sorry for such long delays... >.<

Comment

did someone ask if they wanted to buy this? I couldn't remember, I took it off the other day and thought about it. =^.^=

Comment

Does the rack have the back rest?
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Nope. Comes as is. It's how it got it when I got the bike. =^.^=

Comment

So an update.

So... I have been a naughty procrastinating guy. So a few of my friends have gotten their bike licenses and have started fixing their own bikes they have acquired. So. One faithful morning at 7am'ish at O'Dark stupid, I get a text from my friends Woody and Climbnpeak.

They want to see my bike. It's game time and I was not prepared!!!

So they came by and we assessed the bike further, as they tool on my baby; new things come to light, such as the fact that I apparently had a security system built into the bike???

The security guts that you can see.

The switch. It has 3 modes. up, down, and middle. Up was horn fully on - I mean, fully on as in as soon as we turned the key, she was full sound... jumped us quite nicely. Middle was on, down was off. Tracing the wiring we found that it was tied into the hardness with electrical tape. We wanted to test my bike... It's like I said before, from the start switch, no crank, I just bought a new battery, put that acid in and charged that the night prior, tested good. Still no go. So, I have a feeling there's some sory of wiring issue from the ignition to the starter relay. Also, I got all my material to start cleaning my tank... it's been a really slow project that I never wanted to let die, but there's always that disappointment that may come with a project like this and well... I hate being disappointed.

~Skuld.

A shout out to my friend gtg346p as just got her bike and is going crazy!!! =^.^=
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2011, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Also, just realized that I forgot... I don't have a battery Basket... I checked on bikebandit, but it shows a battery protect and has no further information. Anyone want to shed some light? Or is this something that can be machined up with some sheet metal and rivets...

Comment

So I owe alot more than just a dinner to my buddy, Woody (btw you left your subway in my garage), he came over and helped my determine what was going on with my electric start. I have read this so many times before and just yeah...

Bypassed the clutch safety switch for the starter... Now it starts to crank. So, hyped we decided to take it a step further.

I cut a water bottle that has been empty in half and drilled a hole in the cap and put gas in till it fed the bowls. I'll post a video soon of the attempted cranks.

It was just that, constant cranks, nothing yet. I plan to do my tank tomorrow as I got it all taped off and stuff but didn't make it to the auto shop to get my liner.

Comment

Originally posted by Skuld View Post
                              Also, just realized that I forgot... I don't have a battery Basket... I checked on bikebandit, but it shows a battery protect and has no further information. Anyone want to shed some light? Or is this something that can be machined up with some sheet metal and rivets...
                              Check out Ebay for the basket.

1978 GS1000C
                              1979 GS1000E
                              1980 GS1000E
                              2004 Roadstar

Comment

I have a few battery boxes. PM for pic's.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                                X