Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
    Yeah, and sit on it and make revving noises, hey Pete
    Now I thought I'd denied that already Stan, but I'll deny it again now... I'd *never* do something so immature as that...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I do it .... sometimes.

Comment

Did it on the bare Skunk frame,beat that.

Comment

Hahahaha, that is pricless, Greg, you need help man, seriously

Comment

It was once OK?

Comment

Lololololol

Comment

Errr... there was a time... just bought my 'bars... need I say more?

sigpic

Comment

There was a time when I never just had a bare frame in the garage, because I got a whole front end bolted onto it

Comment

So now we getting somewhere, unpacked all the goodies in the box from the far away land, stopped at the engineering supplies to buy some more shiny ner hardware because I was running short, so having everything I need, today was was full steam ahead.
                    The first job was to paint strip the headlight ears and give them a fresh coat of gloss black 2K for durability.

The rubbers were ok, but my original ones were better, so they were soaked with with silicone spray to soften back up and bring back the lusture, they came out as new, so they were fitted to the freshly painted ears.

Then I tackled the trim piece for the lower triple, it was fine, looks like new, just needs a polish, so it went straight on.
                    I did hit a wobbly as it does not have the sticker on, so I figured I was stuck once again as I would need it to size a sticker for it...............nah, just measure up and make the sticker to size, mount the damn thing, not waiting no more.

There were various designs on the emblem that goes on the trim piece, some had SUZUKI writen on them, others just has the S in the center, I can not remember what the '81 1000G had.......any takers?????

With that out of the way, it was time to start bolting up

Nice and shiny, I will never understand how people do a restoration using old hardware, i think the new fastners just set it off.

The paint on the rims came out a bit darker than OEM, as I thought it would, but I like it, it sets a nice contrast t te polished spokes and forks.

Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Mmmmmmmm...maybe there is something about this bobber thing after all, now where did I put that angle grinder????

Oh, yes, got the battery box with the new RR from Duane mounted as well.

Then some heavy tatooed biker types popped in to see what all the fuss was about.................

Then it was back to the mundane task of sanding the back wheel.

Comment

Steve, thanks a million for taking the time to read my mutterings, as you would have gathered it has not been much of a read so far, as nothing spectacular has come forth yet, just all the prep work, lots of cleaning, sanding, buffing and painting, but hopefully it should start to pick up pace from here on a bit as things can start going back together and Jennifer starts to resemble a motorcycle once more. Thanks for the kind words mate.
                        Originally posted by pete View Post
                        This is all good stuff Stan

I know it seems like you haven't accomplished much because you haven't got it rolling yet, but look back and see you have really accomplished a hell of a lot... and once you get to roll it 'round the garage you will be stoked
                        I gotta agree with Pete here... for me personally, most of the enjoyment of restoring something is the fact that you've put in the time, effort, blood, sweat and tears into taking the original parts and cleaning them up so they look amazing when they're all together again. Putting them all back together is just the second-to-last best part of the project - the last being when you get to use whatever it was you've restored, for the purpose it was meant for

The time and effort you've taken to collect and post all these pic's and instructions is very much appreciated as it'll help us n00bs see what's achievable...

Though I worry about you resting the back of the frame on the bare pavement - I'd've stuck some cardboard under it hehehe

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                        hatchA74 welcome aboard the GSR! I hope you stick around with us for a bit. it's a nice place to gather.
                        Thanks, Bronco. There's a good sense of cameraderie, friendship and brotherhood in this forum, from what I've seen so far. Everyone looks out for each other; that's wonderful and rare, in this day and age.

Comment

Stan that's looking awesome! Love it! I know it's just a front end on a frame, but I know what that feels like... wait until you get that back end on, then you will start getting really excited

(I would've put cardboard or something under the rear too )

sigpic

Comment

There were various designs on the emblem that goes on the trim piece, some had SUZUKI writen on them, others just has the S in the center, I can not remember what the '81 1000G had.......any takers?????
                            Yes...

This is off my '80 850. my 82 also has the 'S' on the decal as well. IIRC they used 'suzuki' starting in 83 on the 850G's. your 1000G should be the same.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by HatchA74 View Post
                              I gotta agree with Pete here... for me personally, most of the enjoyment of restoring something is the fact that you've put in the time, effort, blood, sweat and tears into taking the original parts and cleaning them up so they look amazing when they're all together again. Putting them all back together is just the second-to-last best part of the project - the last being when you get to use whatever it was you've restored, for the purpose it was meant for

The time and effort you've taken to collect and post all these pic's and instructions is very much appreciated as it'll help us n00bs see what's achievable...

Though I worry about you resting the back of the frame on the bare pavement - I'd've stuck some cardboard under it hehehe

Thanks, Bronco. There's a good sense of cameraderie, friendship and brotherhood in this forum, from what I've seen so far. Everyone looks out for each other; that's wonderful and rare, in this day and age.
                              By the way Hatch, yes, yes, and yes to your comments

sigpic

Comment

Hey guys, you worry too much, the paint is fine, that stuff is 2K and as hard as nails, It does live on a big piece of cardboard in the garage, I just wanted to get a shot of it in the sunlight, and it was out and back in in a minute.
                                Normaly I would put something down, but with all the fuss with the old grannys around here, (Remember that episode) I didn't want to be out packing stuff out of the garage and advertising the fact, and rile some old idiot up again, that is why no cardboard, trying to stay below the radar as much as possible.
                                I will try and get some swingarm bearings an more wheel paint this week and next Sunday will be spent finishing the back wheel and disk, hopefully I can get it mounted and have her back on her wheels.......oh no, I can't still gotta do at least one of the stands first, probaly the main stand, damn, better remember to get that hardware in for plating this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X