Jennifer's Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
    Me thinks the Auzzie worries far too much, just relax and calm down to a panic, it is all going to be fine, your paint is going to turn out super nice and you are going to be mega stoked with yourself, now stop worrying about nothing and go and have a few cold ones......
    Yer probably right... seems you lot have more faith in me than I do! Ha!

I'm sure I'll be fine, I just won't do anything silly (I hope) and spend as much time as necessary on the prep. work...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

you are damn right, sanding it when you have time is far more better than rushing it when you finally have to paint the whole thing,
      plus you won t have sanding residue all over the place at that same exact moment, which is a plus!

what s your equipment to paint your project?
      (maybe you wrote it somewhere but i guess i missed it! )

Comment

Etcheberri, sorry man, I missed this post, I don't know if it is just me, but if I leave my browser open on the GSR for any length of time, it kinda automatically marks all the posts as read, even though I have not opened the thread.....very strange

Anyway, thanks for the feed back, yeah painting is the fun part, so I feel if you leave the prep until you are ready to paint, you land up rushing the prep, so you can get on with the fun stuff, well that is me anyway.
        Also a good way to pass the time and make progress without having to spend anything while you are waiting for some money to get the next lot of parts.

Not sure yet, what my application is going to be, as far as paint is concerned, I will have to jump off that bridge when I get to it.
        I am going to go with base coat / clear coat the clear coat will be 2k so as to be fuel proof and tough as nails.
        Used 2k in a can on my frame and swing arm and was more than happy with the result.
        As far as application goes, there is a strong chance I will be doing 2k in a can, not normal rattle can stuff, but the genuine proper 2k stuff packed in a can, reason, I don't have a compressor, nor can I install one in my garage, the mother grundys will go through the roof, so that is out, I only have a single garage, so space is limited and I doubt I will be able to put up a decent "booth" of sorts, I also can't justify the cost of buying all the guns and kit, to be used once in a blue moon.
        Of course I may hunt someone down who has a booth and all the kit and commandeer that for the job, will have to see.

Seems like a decal kit for my bike is harder to get than rocking horse sh*t, seems the American schemes are freely available, what the rest of the world got, not so much. so I will spraying that on as well, so watch this space when the time comes, should be, uhm, urr interesting, should we say.
        Hahahah, its going to be a laugh a minute.

Comment

Etcheberri, sorry man, I missed this post, I don't know if it is just me, but if I leave my browser open on the GSR for any length of time, it kinda automatically marks all the posts as read, even though I have not opened the thread.....very strange

Anyway, thanks for the feed back, yeah painting is the fun part, so I feel if you leave the prep until you are ready to paint, you land up rushing the prep, so you can get on with the fun stuff, well that is me anyway.
          Also a good way to pass the time and make progress without having to spend anything while you are waiting for some money to get the next lot of parts.

Not sure yet, what my application is going to be, as far as paint is concerned, I will have to jump off that bridge when I get to it.
          I am going to go with base coat / clear coat the clear coat will be 2k so as to be fuel proof and tough as nails.
          Used 2k in a can on my frame and swing arm and was more than happy with the result.
          As far as application goes, there is a strong chance I will be doing 2k in a can, not normal rattle can stuff, but the genuine proper 2k stuff packed in a can, reason, I don't have a compressor, nor can I install one in my garage, the mother grundys will go through the roof, so that is out, I only have a single garage, so space is limited and I doubt I will be able to put up a decent "booth" of sorts, I also can't justify the cost of buying all the guns and kit, to be used once in a blue moon.
          Of course I may hunt someone down who has a booth and all the kit and commandeer that for the job, will have to see.

Seems like a decal kit for my bike is harder to get than rocking horse sh*t, seems the American schemes are freely available, what the rest of the world got, not so much. so I will spraying that on as well, so watch this space when the time comes, should be, uhm, urr interesting, should we say.
          Hahahah, its going to be a laugh a minute.
          Stan I have no doubt you'll be able to pull it off, compressor or no compressor, I have faith in you!

sigpic

Comment

Seems like a decal kit for my bike is harder to get than rocking horse sh*t, seems the American schemes are freely available, what the rest of the world got, not so much.
            try here:

(that's where I got mine from)
            GS850GT

Comment

Decals

Stan,
              I had mine made here at a signage place in George. If you can provide a pattern etc I will gladly hand it to them and get it back to you. Maybe you could "organise" something to the airport here? The cost was very fair and she still has my 1980 stripes on record.
              Regards

Comment

Pete, luckily my bikes original scheme were just flat colours, no metalics involved, so I am hoping it gives me a better than fighting chance of getting a decent 2 meter job.

Psyguy, thanks man, I have dropped them a mail, will see what they come back with, I am almost sure I have asked them before, can't remember, I will dig through my correspondence when I get home tonight, I almost recall them having it, but the price suggested that it was made out of genuine 24 carat gold leaf, as I said, i have dropped them a mail, will let you know what the say.

Andre, thanks man, appreciate it, I will maybe have a look at that option, the only problem I see is that I have a lack of decent high res or any other res for that matter of photos for them to work from, so I really don't know how they will size the decals?
                I have some pics, but not enough close detail, I think, I don't know, and strangely enough, pics of the scheme I need are far and few between on the internet. Although I must admit, it is one of the lesser seen paint schemes on the 1000G.
                Maybe I will send you what I have and they can see what they can do.

Comment

Stan,
                  One of the GSR members with a bike in the same scheme may be able to help with some high res pictures from various angles. SaltyMonk helped with mine (Thanks again Salty!)

If you can transcribe the stripes to A3 paper in actual size with colour examples it will help a lot. Once she has the templates I will put you in contact with her by email and phone in case you want to discuss any details with her.

The material they use withstands 2k clearcoat and can be stretched as well.
                  I will gladly pick up any templates at the airport or PO if needed and the same for shipping the finished stuff back to you.

Keep well.

Comment

it is one of the lesser seen paint schemes on the 1000G.
                    Send me some photos of the type of scheme you are looking at, and I will see what I can dig up down here. Did the 850G's here in SA not have similar schemes to 1000G's? I could take photos of the stripes etc on mine if it is similar and send it to you or Andre.
                    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Pete, luckily my bikes original scheme were just flat colours, no metalics involved, so I am hoping it gives me a better than fighting chance of getting a decent 2 meter job.

Psyguy, thanks man, I have dropped them a mail, will see what they come back with, I am almost sure I have asked them before, can't remember, I will dig through my correspondence when I get home tonight, I almost recall them having it, but the price suggested that it was made out of genuine 24 carat gold leaf, as I said, i have dropped them a mail, will let you know what the say.

Andre, thanks man, appreciate it, I will maybe have a look at that option, the only problem I see is that I have a lack of decent high res or any other res for that matter of photos for them to work from, so I really don't know how they will size the decals?
                      I have some pics, but not enough close detail, I think, I don't know, and strangely enough, pics of the scheme I need are far and few between on the internet. Although I must admit, it is one of the lesser seen paint schemes on the 1000G.
                      Maybe I will send you what I have and they can see what they can do.
                      I was hoping for flat paint to keep with the 60/70's inspired scrambler, but I couldn't get a maroon in anything but a pearl so that's how it ended up... must say I'm pretty happy so far

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the input and ideas guys, much appriciated, I will get in touch with you guys. As far as I remember, only the 1000G came here in black, the 850G was in the silver and blue scheme, which was also shared by the 1000G. The 1000G also came out here in a red scheme. This is the one Jennifer came out of the factory in, an the one I want to put back on.

Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2011, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I see why you want to put Jenny back to that... Looks great!

Comment

Thanks HD, sometimes I wonder, I kind of think it is pretty bland and boring, and a change would be good, but then again I have lived with it for more than half of her 30 years, so I guess.
                            It surely is one of the more rare, lesser seen paint schemes around, I think I am yet to see one on the GSR.
                            But then who can't like a fresh new shiny black paint job.

Comment

Thanks HD, sometimes I wonder, I kind of think it is pretty bland and boring, and a change would be good, but then again I have lived with it for more than half of her 30 years, so I guess.
                              It surely is one of the more rare, lesser seen paint schemes around, I think I am yet to see one on the GSR.
                              But then who can't like a fresh new shiny black paint job.
                              I like that stock scheme Stan, really stands out compared to the other ones... I vote for do it

sigpic

Comment

No, no Pete, you don't understand...you going to do it, what was that shipping address again?????

Comment

Working...
                                X