No announcement yet.

Jennifer's Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simply amazing work on that headlight bucket!
    What did you use to make it so close to chrome?

Daniel

Comment

Stripped the rear fender for cleaning and sprucing up.

There are a few issues with it, but nothing too serious, just a few places where the wiring ollm or something has rubbed grooves it over the years.

Again, some polyester filler and elbow grease should have it sorted.

Rubbing against the inner fender

both the fiberglass and filler can dry over the week, and I will sand it smooth next weekend.

Will see what I can do about saving the warning lable.

Lots of scatches, will get to it with some toothpaste, should come out like new.

Thats all for now folks.

Comment

Thanks Daniel, I think it just the light, nothing special there, just your cheap and nasty, garden variety gloss black.

Comment

Looking good Flyboy. Your project has given me some great ideas and knowledge to boot. Keep it coming!

Sci85
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Sci, appriciate you tagging along for the ride.

Comment

Awesome work Stan! You should have no fears about the quality job you'll end up with, every bit you're doing is turning out top notch

And yes, fibreglassing is a royal PITA. While I'm happy with the end result of my tail piece, I think I would've preferred working with some steel or aluminium...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

If you have a hobby shop nearby that tailors to the rocketry, R/C, or plastic scale models, check out a product called "miro-balloons". They are mini Styrofoam beads that are mixed with epoxy and make it like a super strong sand-able Bond. That will help filling the minor imperfections once the fiberglass cures. I use that to fill the emblem holes in my side covers.

Comment

Hahaha. HD, I know micro balloons well, used to use it when I was building and flying rdio control aircraft.
                  We use it in full size home built aircraft as well, because of the weight saving, it is light as a feather.
                  Jeeeez, now you bring back memories, I have not used that stuff in years.

Comment

that's all looking very good fly!

you know i had the exact same dillemma - first had the seat lock plated silver, then decided it looked better in black to match the frame
                    GS850GT

Comment

Yeah Psy, I think so too, it wasn't planned that way, it just landed up in the bag of hardware that went off to electro plating.

Comment

Got some more done this weekend.
                        Got all the nicks in the rear fender filled in.

Sanded it all down until it was all smooth, had to go over it three times before I was happy I had got everything.

Got primer down

and colour

as smooth as a new born babies butt

Also stripped and painted the brackets that go inside and on the rear fender.

Comment

Also managed to get the fiberglass repairs to te tail piece sanded down, now that was soul destroying, damn that resin sets as hard as granite.

Also stripped down the rear turn signal brackets, but outta paint, so they will have to wait now.

Also sent Ashley at Boulavrd Suzuki an email to take advantage of the big three day sale to get all the bits I need, well most of them.
                          Hopefully she will be kind and in the spirit of giving during this season will pick up the shipping tab for me, fingers crossed, i did hint and Lord knows, the order is big enough, I just need to find some way of breaking it to the better half that we are going to be on Govt. issue brown bread and water for the most of the new year.....
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Fiberglass?Try plastic welding,sounds harder than it is.Soldering iron and some plastic bits had Old Yellers lowers good as new in 1/2 hr.If the part is ABS the ABS slurry method is the way to go.
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2011, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Greg, I know, the plan was to patch with some ABS slurry, but then it seemed like too much of a mission to find some sort of a source for ABS to make it up, so went with the fiberglass.
                              I am actually a real lazy bugger at the best of times.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                                Also sent Ashley at Boulavrd Suzuki an email to take advantage of the big three day sale to get all the bits I need, well most of them.
                                Hopefully she will be kind and in the spirit of giving during this season will pick up the shipping tab for me, fingers crossed, i did hint and Lord knows, the order is big enough...
                                If not, have Her send them my way to be included with the rest of your things.
                                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                                X