No announcement yet.

Jennifer's Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the kind words guys, unfortunatly I have not done anything on her for 2 weeks now, just have not had the "time" (read, $$$$) so no progress, I am looking at doing the frame and swing arm in 2K for hard wearing and that stuff is like R130 a can here, have to have it mixed and put into bomb cans, one of the down falls of not owning a compressor, and I just don't have 5 grand to blow on one right now.
    This weekend is back to back airshows, both Saturday and Sunday, so nothing this weekend either, but hope to get the frame and swing arm painted next weekend, will post pics as soon as I do.

Mike, I am sure cleaning up the frame will be more than good enough to spray over, after all, the paint has been on there for 30 years and hasn't gone anywhere yet, so I doubt it will give drama if you paint over it, I guess I could have done the same, but I am just an obsesive PIA, I guess.

Comment

You'll get there Flyboy! I hear ya' on the time and $$$ thing, has gotten me many times along the way so far.

As to painting over the existing paint, works fine as long as you prep it right, but going bare is probably going to have a better end result if you're looking for another 30 years
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

... plus, they are so pretty when they are naked

Comment

Yeah, I know. Have you considered using something like this? I've got one in the garage sitting spare i've never fired up and was planning on using if/when i do the frame. I was thinking of using the propper paint to use on the frame/tank etc, i'd just have to make sure i clean/flush it afterwards thoroughly if i go there. It's a damn sight cheaper than a compressor and i've heard good results as long as you go for multiple light coats.

Comment

Mike, I may just look into that, I have seen them before, but never even thought of it, thanks for jogging the old memory.

Comment

If you or Mike (you reading this Mike) try that airless sprayer I want to see pictures. I have thought about that several times but figured it was more for house paint and probably would not work for motorcycles or auto paint. I am intrigued and would love to see the results.

Paul

Comment

It's a little down the way for my bike, as doing that is going to be after every other bit of mechanical work bar ongoing repairs is done. but noted. I'll certainly remember to put pics up if i crack it out with autopaint.

Comment

That is pretty cool actually, does it just plug into mains power or something?

I've got my compressor I got on special with the hose and guns just before Christmas so don't need one, but it'll be very interesting to see how good a result you can get from it.
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I saw someone, somewhere, painted a bike with one of those... and had good results. Problem is I can't remember if it was on here, DTT, BobberTalk, SOHC4, or NGWclub forums

Comment

Ok, update time again......finally.
                      Got a bunch of stuff done again yesterday, most importantly got the frame and swing arm finished, after running out of paint last weekend.
                      Also got to try my hand at buffing and the ignition pick up cover is looking super shiny and the final drive is coming along nicely as well.
                      Apologies for the crappy cell phone pics, but the batteries in the camera are still dead from the airshows.
                      Camera = Plastic container used for the storage of dead batteries.
                      Anyway, here they are.

Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2011, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Looking good!!!!!!
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks Chuck, we can only try hey.

Comment

It looks good to me..I am by no means a restoration expert..I just domit the way i like it to look..you should just follow your eye and do the same. If it doesnt quite look right you can always strip it and redo it just the same.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I am no expert either Chuck, I just bummble along and try and get an acceptable standard, the guys here set the bar so high its scary.
                              But I am being anal on this rebuild, maybe too much so, most peole would not care about slight imperfections on the frame, the slightest bubble or run, and I was in sanding and flatting and repainting.....hahahaha quite ridiculous really.
                              But we have come a long road together over the last 29 years she is special to me.

Comment

Soooo Shiney! Nice job keep up your attention to detail.

Comment

Working...
                                X