No announcement yet.

Jennifer's Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She looks great! What a great transformation! Well done!

Even after all the body corporate politics!

Comment

Yeah, thanks guys, I will have to treat Jennifer to a new cover, once I get her on the road as a daily rider and fixed the e30 which has suffered a seriously long period of neglect as I have thrown all my weekends into getting Jennifer done.
      And the Scenic, and resprayed my helmet, and restored the panniers for Jennifer and get started on the next project, my AC50, little Suzi.
      Damn, I need to win the lotto.

Comment

Flyboy, all in all, stunning work! And that's what matters, not how long it took.

Now, I can't get enough of that spectacular paint job, I keep going back to look at the pics!
        GS850GT

Comment

Congratulations! what a stunning build.

Comment

Wow Flyboy...that's am awesome looking bike!! Great job!! Love it!
            Beautiful!!
            Last edited by trevor; 09-15-2014, 08:20 PM.
            No signature

Comment

Thanks guys, you too kind, I forgot just how nice the black and orange look.

Now here is the thing, I knew that I would forget to name a contributor who, with out's contribution the task would have been more difficult, two, in Fack, and for that I must appologise and set the record straight right now.

Ed, (Nessim) for starting this whole ball rolling by selling me the original stator cover that was in excellent shape for very little money.
              And Frank Z who so very kindly sent me not one one, but two sets of switch gear decals, after the first set got "lost in transit" by the USPS.
              They are fantastic, and take care of the small detail and put that finishing touch to the build that is unmistakeable, many thanks Frank.

Comment

Well done Stan, I could feel the joy as Jennifer took to the road again all the way down here in Cape Town!

Looking forward to seeing Jennifer in the metal if you ever ride down this way.
                1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Got the rear brakes sorted today, could not get the missing cup anywhere, Suzuki want o sell the whole shebang, piston, seal, cup, spring and one way valve.
                  So popped down to my local brake and clutch shop, and asked them if they had such a thing they could match up, voila he appeared five minutes later with said cup for a few bucks.

got home, reassembled the master cylinder, fitted it and bled the rear brake, it is now as good as new,.................

So I decided to take her for a shake down run, just to prove Jennifer is no garage queen.

Did a good five kilometers and pushed the last kilometer home.
                  Seems there was still a bunch of rust and gunk in the tank, which has now dissolved into the fuel and found its way into the carbs and blocked everything up, so it looks like tomorrow will be spent stripping off carbs and stripping them down.

Comment

Hey, this is Africa, V don need no stinking plates...
                    Sorry about those carbs. Tis only a small setback.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Ok, looks like I may be spared stripping the carbs off again, took the tank off today and put it on the bench to check the fuel tap, bugger all, nada, nothing coming out from any position, so I took it off, and stripped it to the last part, cleaned, replaced the O-Rings, which were well worse for wear, pt it all together again and it is flowing perfectly on all positions.
                      So I am hoping that with the fuel tap getting blocked solid, it has prevented the gunk making it down to the carbs, if not, well, we will jump off that bridge when we get to it.
                      made a blanking plate for the tank and now it is standing on the workbench with 20l of vinegar, will leave it here for a week for the vinegar to do it's thing.
                      Rewired the R/R in as it should be, I think?? We shall see.
                      Also dropped the exhaust again to try and sort out the header leak, put a straight edge across the faces of the headers, and the two inner ones were a little lower down than the outters...Hmmmmm ???
                      Oh well, all bolted up again, so lets hope it is sorted.
                      And that is about the sum total of the teething problems from the shakedown run.

Comment

Yeah Doc, what you wanna carry plates for, so they know where to send the fines and the e-toll invoices...not likely.

Comment

Did about a 20km shake down run this afternoon, to see what falls off.
                          Slightly rich at the bottom end but runs like a demon from there up, pulling clean and strong to red line, have to get my hands on some gauges so I can do a final sync on the carbs, just did a bench sync before fitting, they are very close but just need that tweak, that should sort out the bottom end. oil usage is minimal, which should settle to next to nothing as the motor runs in and the rings settle. Zero Oil leaks, Stator charging at 14.5V, and she starts with a touch of the starter hot or cold.
                          So I think I shall take her to work tomorrow.

Comment

Looks perfect! its a credit to you and all your effort.
                            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Gorgeous looking bike you've made her back into Mr. Stan. I bet she's loving the new lease on life she's been given. So easy today to just call it quits when they fall into disrepair.

You sir can now take a bow.
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Oh, anything is possible with a little help from your friends.
                                You are right Dale, we live in a disposable society, where everything revolves around instant gratification, "I want it now, how much will it cost?" Seems to be the mantra these days.
                                there is a slight difference though, in the states you talking a grand maybe two, phaaa, over here Jennifer is a thirty grand bike in her current condition, perhaps more, I have seen tired examples selling for 20-25K on a regular basis.

Comment

Working...
                                X