GS450 Mega Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspiration

We all need a little inspiration from time to time. Just found this GSX250 completely remade including the name!

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2010/7/...uzeti-250.html

Comment

That thing is sweet... an awesome job that would translate extremely well to the 450

I may have to steal 2 of his ideas... the rear hugger (nice and subtle but very very useful) and the embedded LED brake light in the tail with the small clear lense indicators.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Yup

Ditto on those two for sure.

Comment

New Calipers

arrived today. Not to modern, but better than those single pot stockers! Too all you techies, will I need to run the GSXR master cylinder or do you think I'll do ok with the stock lever displacement?

Comment

Every GSXR Master I have seen is 5/8" bore. Single disc Suzuki is 14mm bore. If you want to stay more old skool you should be able to run a twin disc suzuki master or a Kawasaki Ninja master (late 80's model).

Sure there are plenty others with a 5/8" bore. You could try the stock one but you may find the lever pulls back to the bars before the brakes bite....

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

why would there be a metric and a imperial measure for a bore?

Comment

Who knows.... there are also 3/4" bores, 19mm bores (same thing), 16mm bores (approx same as 5/8" on different & more modern bikes.

5/8" & 14mm are just how all the Suzuki ones that I've seen are marked up.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  Who knows.... there are also 3/4" bores, 19mm bores (same thing), 16mm bores (approx same as 5/8" on different & more modern bikes.

5/8" & 14mm are just how all the Suzuki ones that I've seen are marked up.

Dan

kookie japanes engineers! all hopped up on goofballs and so on.

Comment

I'm watching this one for sure! I've been working on a 450 lately myself and its going to be a pretty sweet little bike but this looks like it'll be a great build! Made with a Mac too, I'm all for that!

/\/\ac

Comment

Thanks!

I'll have to do some experimentation. Thanks for the measurements.

Cheers!

Comment

Disaster!

The exhaust finally decided to crack and quit on me this afternoon. Crossover pipe is now fully gone, and patches welded in (poorly I know!). Still trying to figure out how to Tig dirty disgusting old exhaust pipes. No Mig on hand sadly. I've never seen an arc wander so badly. Still, got these done. Now to tackle the cracks at the flanges.....

Oh, and these are just the pipes I'm using until teardown in the fall. I like to ride too!

Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2010, 09:25 PM.

Comment

This build looks amazing. Did you draw up the majority of the sketches in Google's program?

Comment

Yup

Once I figured out the right template it made using and printing these things up so much easier. The main default templates are crap for exact measurement. I use architectural millimeters and have been impressed so far. Not too bad for a free program!

Comment

Scotty,

What kind of exhaust are you going to wind up with in the end? Mac is the only after market header pipe I know of, not that I know it all. I really dislike it's sound. Tinney is the way I discribe it. I've thought of doing some reasearch on altering the internals with additional baffels, to deepen the tone. I have the stock set, which the PO gave me.

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by scottychop View Post
                                Once I figured out the right template it made using and printing these things up so much easier. The main default templates are crap for exact measurement. I use architectural millimeters and have been impressed so far. Not too bad for a free program!
                                i love it, i, um...aquired a copy of the pro version, used it to design a couple turbo manifolds. Never went through with making them, just needed somethintg to kill some time in class.

Comment

Working...
                                X