GS450 Mega Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipes

I'm not sure what route I am going to take with the pipes yet. These stock ones are crap for sure. You looking to part ways with your Mac? I have a spare set of headers, and was thinking about making my own pipes and baffles. Check out this link for more ideas:

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=11248.0

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I want to hang onto my Mac unit and try to alter to a more pleasurable tone.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Major Setback? You be the judge....

Finally got in the shop today. Cut and filed the spacers for between the bearings and for centering. Things looked really good until I through the front wheel on to see if things would line up ok. Then I noticed, that yes indeed, the GSXR calipers are VERY wide compared to stockers and hit the mag. That means if I want to run the stock wheels, I can't use these calipers. Or, I have to run them upside down, or reversed. Think I could space the rotors with washers?

Perhaps like this?

Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Spacers started

Well, it turns out .25" (6.3mm) is just right for spacing out the rotors. I cut them out of Aluminum with a template, circle cutter, holesaw, jigsaw, and file. Whew! The rotors clear by a few mm's.

Comment

amazing job .

is this stock 16 wheel?

Comment

Looking good Scotty... that will stop so much better than a stock 450
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Nope

it's a stock 19" wheel from an '80 L model. Love the avatar!

Comment

Moving along....

Still working on the front brakes sadly. I've spent about 15+ hours in the shop this week fiddling around with them. I am on prototype number 3 and have hit a few sticky wickets. The first two versions didn't provide enough strength. With all of the offset problems with the rotor, I had only .125" of space on the inside to fit up a bracket. I tried beefing up a that version but it felt flimsy. I came up with another version that sits outside the stock GSXR forks, and then via spacers, goes back to the calipers.

I don't have a lathe, so I am going to have to farm these out, meaning it will be awhile before I can finally bolt these up.

And then a little inspiration for the front end. Anyone got a source for these lights??

Comment

looks like standart spot lights .

you can find those at any hardware store .

* although they look good , the ilumination is poor . try to find halogen lights.

Comment

Yeah

that's what I thought. I just need the lenses and trim rings, as the body will need to be mounted differently. I found one source for them pretty cheaply:

3" lights

Comment

Originally posted by scottychop View Post

I don't have a lathe, so I am going to have to farm these out, meaning it will be awhile before I can finally bolt these up.

Talk to Phinney Bay Machine Works in Bremerton..

The owner used to race GS's and makes quite a few custom parts for em..
                        He's ok with making a few one off bike parts.

Nice work.. Does the speedo drive still fit with the spacers?

Comment

Sorta...

It took a bit of work to make it fit between the rotor bolts. I ended up shaving down the outside of the drive to fit.

Scott

Comment

which 3d software do you use?

Comment

Hey,

I just use the free version of Google Sketchup. It's all I'll ever really need.

Scott

Comment

Some progress...

Still working on the forks but no pictures to show. I did some work on the bike itself today. Put in a few hours working on taking out the stock gauges and putting in a mini-speedo. Not sure if I like it yet. Then I did the Coil Relay Mod. She started up fine, so I assume I did it right!

Comment

Working...
                                X