GS450 Mega Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah?

wish you were closer man. These wheels are going to be a pain to mount up. The front one would require a ton of work to space the calipers AGAIN, and the rear would be iffy on chain clearance. I just couldn't pass them up for Cheap $$. These are going on the shelf for a rainy day. Besides I LOVE the look of the 19 up front.

Should be getting the brakes sorted out by next weekend.....

Scott
    Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2010, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Slaving away...

Lots of grinding and filing! Haven't started fitting things up quite yet as I am waiting on on overdue bearing from Bike Bandit. I have all the tubing to get started with the shock mounts and new rear subframe. Who knew that the 450 frame was asymmetric! The motor mounts are offset by about and inch and a half. Instead of bending a crossbar for the upper shock mount, I am simply adding another side tube from the donor frame. Can you spot it in the pic?

I made a few decisions about the look of the bike, but could use your help. The picture shows the tank raised up in the back by a few inches. I really hate that the profile of the stock tank location is almost bent downwards, like a broken log. Raising it up slightly gives it that sporty look. Gonna weld that mount up this weekend.

I also bent the rear tail section upwards by five degrees in order to get a better look at that beautiful rear end. Swingarm angle is going to be about 12 degrees or so.

So, what to do about that rear cowl? Solo seat for sure, but moved in 8 inches like in the photo, or stretched back out?

Oh, and thanks to Jpual for the GS500 head. Looks good eh?

Comment

hard to say about that rear end... It doesn't particularly flow with the rest of the bodywork (I'm visualizing a sloping line from the top of the tank to the rear cowl and it almost lines up), but then again that might be what you're shooting for. That lip should get cut off, seems to disrupt it even further. What kind of tail light are you going to use? With that kind of tail, I'm imagining a blacked out metal mesh flush with the bottom line hiding a slew of LED's. Now that's got my blood flowing!!

Comment

Scotty,

I agree with you on raising that tank up in the rear, I never thought of doing that. I had always wanted to move the rear cowl to just behind the shock mount, or 7" foward. I think I would rock the rear of the cowl down a bit. I always thought the rear cowl was a bit oversized, in relation to the tank size. I do think the cowl's angular shape works well with the tank. Your moving along faster than I would. Gret going!

cg
          Last edited by Charlie G; 09-09-2010, 01:14 AM. Reason: Second look, the tank is good where it is!
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Ok well I'm gonna say I like the tank as it was... just to be different Dunno why but my personal taste I guess...

As far as the rear goes, I'm with Charlie that the stock duck tail is a little too large, somewhat out of proportion to the tank, and the 450 tank's are an excellent shape for cafe style etc.

To be honest I'm not sold on how the rear looks in the mock up there, not sure whether it's the duck tail though or the extra long swing arm...

However, this is *yours* and I ain't gonna rain on your parade

How would it be with a stock length T seat or an alternative flat seat I wonder?
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to wait until it gets on it's feet before looking at the rear end again. Fabbed up some shock mounts and cross bracing this afternoon. Not sure I like the "twin" frame tubes on the left side. I may just make up a connector for the rectangle and the original tube with some nice gussets.

On the shock linkage, what's the idea on placement? Should I be looking for roughly level eye to eye, or canted up in the front/rear? I only want to weld this thing ONCE.

Comment

Can't help with the shock mount, but I agree that the twin tubes look a little odd there for sure.

I'm not sure if this is gonna be a clear explanation of what I'm thinking or not but I'll try...

Is it better to put the brace from the left to right side, leaving it at a slightly odd angle, then attaching the shock mount with a wedge shaped piece to compensate? Not sure if that would compromise the strength or anything though.

I hope that makes some sort of sense...

sigpic

Comment

Progress.....

Pete, I took your advice, and just angled the tubing. Looks pretty clean. Made up the new subframe and battery mount. Played around with a few different rear ends, and I just kept coming back to the stock ducktail. I think it will look pretty damn good when finished up. I did a LOT of welding today. Ran out of gas as usual....

Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2010, 08:51 PM.

Comment

It's looking good. I actually like the stock tail. More progress than me lol.

So I have a question. Are you gonna use the stock rear wheel? Or the Katana wheels?

Comment

Katana

Katana wheels are up on CL. I like the larger front wheel. 19" vs. 17" looks funny to me.

Scott

Comment

I like it... that duck tail does look good, but mine won't suit what I'm doing, completely different builds

Glad to hear my suggestion was useful, I find that a little unusual

sigpic

Comment

rear end looks cool.

Comment

Almost there.....

Got the rear end mostly done this afternoon. Finished all the welds, and started assembly. In order to get a good fit on the swingarm, I needed to grind a little bit off the arm itself, and re-weld the joint. Then I ground some more off the frame, pressed in the new shorter bearing, and away we go.....

Wheel is centered with new spacers, and I fabbed up an extension to the brake linkage and brake stay.

I put on the kickstand, and put her on her feet, and realized I need to extend the kickstand now. Another day....

Comment

Amazing...

Comment

Now that's really starting to take shape, and is lookin' real good indeed! Those twin lights suit perfectly now that I can see the whole deal and I like the look of the hugger in there too.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X