The next Chapter, 1170 time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
    I checked the gaps and they were right on spec.
    Gee, Ray you made me nervous, any reason to be worried about this set than another brand? I only checked one set of rings in one bore, but the engine is mostly installed now, no going back

Comment

Gee, Ray you made me nervous, any reason to be worried about this set than another brand? I only checked one set of rings in one bore, but the engine is mostly installed now, no going back

I guess it depends ..............

Comment

Well I just got done. I turned it over for a while until I had oil pressure, then put the tank on and she fired right up, sounds good. I dont know if I have the energy to go for a test ride though, I am bagged.

Comment

Well I just got done. I turned it over for a while until I had oil pressure, then put the tank on and she fired right up, sounds good. I dont know if I have the energy to go for a test ride though, I am bagged.
          Alot of work huh
          Are you going to pull the head again for 1150 valves?
          Congrads
          You are now a GS guru.
          Don't wreck it now
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Alot of work huh
            Are you going to pull the head again for 1150 valves?
            Congrads
            You are now a GS guru.
            Don't wreck it now
            Yes a lot of work, the last week has been a blur, I think that was the fourth and LAST time I split those cases.
            Ya, I will be pulling the head again, I used the copper head gasket so I can pull the head and not worry about buying head gaskets everytime

Comment

Ended up taking it for a ride last night, burned a noticable amount of tread off the rear tire No smoke shows, just tire spin. Stock 750 2.15" rear wheel w/ 130/80/18 tire lotsa pinch.
              I put in 145 mains and on my ride today, it stumbled under full throttle. I need to lower the needle or go smaller on the main jet.

Comment

145 is hog size.
                bigger CC doesn't really mean you need much more if any main jet.

Comment

Ended up taking it for a ride last night, burned a noticable amount of tread off the rear tire No smoke shows, just tire spin. Stock 750 2.15" rear wheel w/ 130/80/18 tire lotsa pinch.
                  I put in 145 mains and on my ride today, it stumbled under full throttle. I need to lower the needle or go smaller on the main jet.
                  I got nearly same setup 1166,0.340,s 36mm 1150 CV, but I'm running 145's probably cause I got a flowing head from Terry.

Comment

Ok, then why are my plugs powdery white?
                    Is that the pilot jet or the needle?
                    I dont feel like chopping my plugs to see the mixture line at the bottom.

Comment

I did a compression test on it, and got 160 in one, two of them were 150 and the third cyl #2 was 140. Havent even run two tanks through it yet. But I had overrevved it and was worried I might have bent a valve.
                      #2 plug was also a fair bit leaner than the other three, so I checked the vacuum line for leaks and reset my mixture screws. Would that cyl running leaner somehow make the rings not seal as well as the others?

Comment

I did a compression test on it, and got 160 in one, two of them were 150 and the third cyl #2 was 140. Havent even run two tanks through it yet. But I had overrevved it and was worried I might have bent a valve.
                        #2 plug was also a fair bit leaner than the other three, so I checked the vacuum line for leaks and reset my mixture screws. Would that cyl running leaner somehow make the rings not seal as well as the others?
                        stock valves?
                        be careful...even if you tip one just a little bit(happened to me).
                        the valve can/will pinch off at the keeper groove.
                        i over revved my 1150 one day down a hill..the engine sounded like my rev limiter kicked in..well, i had it un-hooked so the sound was valve float.
                        that night at the track it dropped a valve/broke a guide/sucked for sure.
                        a DRL200 is your friend...BUY ONE!

Comment

your compression numbers are fine....
                          don't sweat the small stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                            stock valves?
                            be careful...even if you tip one just a little bit(happened to me).
                            the valve can/will pinch off at the keeper groove.
                            i over revved my 1150 one day down a hill..the engine sounded like my rev limiter kicked in..well, i had it un-hooked so the sound was valve float.
                            that night at the track it dropped a valve/broke a guide/sucked for sure.
                            I have to get one of these

Comment

Ok, then why are my plugs powdery white?
                              Is that the pilot jet or the needle?
                              I dont feel like chopping my plugs to see the mixture line at the bottom.
                              You need to know that your mains are RIGHT...everything in CV carbs of that design are metered off the main jet...The pilot pulls from a port in the needle jet, which is metered by the main.. the needle jet feeds the needle, which is all fed by the main... If it runs balls out from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, up to WOT, then you're probably good ( a plug chop will be best... but you arent an idiot so you can prolly tell just by listening...dry and raspy, its prolly a lil lean, wet and gurgley, it might be a bit rich...) But, with that DJ kit, *I* have found flaw with their needle clip settings on a fairly STOCK motor...so im going to guess you need your clip on the second notch from the bottom..

Stick with the stock pilot jets... your mains MIGHT be a hair large... but a lil large is better than a lil small... Till you can get her sorted and then dial her in just right..

Terry (Blowerbike) is right...bigger CC doesnt necessarilly mean bigger mains... 1150 and 1100 run the same mains in the DJ kits... 138 on the stage three...

More CC means more vacuum, means more fuel is pulled from the jets...meaning you can usually use a smaller jet, or at least nearly the same jet, if your bore job isnt substantially larger...

In some GSXR jet kits... they actually give you plugs to shrink the ID of the hole in the slides down a little bit... some even used a SMALLER main than stock...its all about what the bike requires... You're a fairly learned dude now.. you'll learn to feel/smell/hear what the bike is telling you it needs..Plug chops will only confirm it... Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                                I bought a drl-300. It says to set the dip switches to match the ignition pulses per 2 revolutions. I think it should be set at 4 per 2 revolutions, am I right? Aso where is a good place to mount this thing so that I have access to it for adjustments?

Comment

Working...
                                X