No announcement yet.

Vetter fairing and trunk modifications- lots of photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to include a shot of the triple gauges after it was completed. I'll insert it below. After using them for several months, the voltmeter is OK to read, but the digital combo gauge I had on the Concours spoiled me. The air temp gauge swings 10 degrees depending on the road surface and riding speed. For my ST1100 project, I will recycle the combo OP/Oil temp gauge from the Concours to it, and will be using a digital water temp, voltmeter, and thermometer on the dash I'm making for it.

Comment

Now that I've updated the thread, my Equus gauges that are older than the bike have decided to flake out.

I'm now planning a Summit/Cyberdyne digital array with volts-oil pressure-oil temperature in the housing, and an eBay LCD thermometer in one of the speaker covers, or possibly the fairing.

Comment

Today I finished installing the Cyberdyne red digital gauges to replace the analog ones. Don't waste your money on these:

1) The voltmeter lags horribly. I can rev the engine to well over 3K RPM by which time the analog gauge would be right under 14V. The Cyberdyne takes perhaps 50 seconds to get to the correct reading, and just as long to drop. The $5 one I had on the Concours from eBay worked a lot better than that.
        2) The oil pressure gauge will not read below around 6 PSI, so the GS at idle triggers a low oil pressure message that can't be shut off.
        3) The oil temp gauge (installed prior to the other two) has been hit or miss. I was wondering why it was flashing 260 on startup, and I found this is the way you set the warning number- my gauge lights are on a dimmer circuit, so if I start the bike in the garage, the gauges see lighting voltage and go into warning set mode. If you ride at night, it will probably stay this way- it did so Sunday morning when I rode it to church pre-sun up. Today while riding, the center digit center segment went out (the gauge is like 2 weeks old). When I re-started for the ride home, it was fine.

If it wasn't such a pain to replace them, I'd do so right away.

I like the Prosport analog stepper motor gauges, and they make digital ones as well- I may try them after I cool off a bit.

EDIT
        I've pulled all three & am returning them. I'll try some inexpensive stepper gauges & see how well they work.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2011, 10:58 PM.

Comment

UPDATE
          After extended use, I saw the HID was causing more problems than it was worth. I'll admit when I'm wrong. It was putting out so much light in an inefficient pattern that I was getting "flashed" on a regular basis, even on divided highways.

After some more research, I went with an IPF housing and 55/60W bulb. Works with the stock wiring OK, or they make bulbs with more power! if that's what you want, but they require heavier wiring.

I found that once aimed properly, I got decent low beam illumination (still not as nice as the HID for overall lighting), and on high beam it worked even better. You have to buy the housings & bulbs two at a time, so I have the other one on my ST1100 and achieved similar results with it. The housing fits into a Vetter Windjammer just fine.

As noted herein, the pattern is key. My wife's 2009 GMC has a very sharp cutoff pattern with the factory halogens, and the IPF does much the same. Here's a photo from the above site illustrating the difference (the IPF bulbs are the next step up from the 55/60W ones I have). IPF is on the left, OEM bulbs on the right:

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
            With all due respect, don't you think it's a rather presumptuous of you...
            This is the part where I would gloat, but I haven't had enough sleep to be able to pull off a good one lol

Comment

Well there's an adult way to do things and the other way. Thanks for taking the high road.

If I can make or find a decent projector housing, I can make use of my HID setup, which is still wired on the bike. I have a set of aftermarket headlamp housings for my truck, and found I can install some different projectors in them and should have a really good setup for not too much dough- I just have too many other irons in the fire right now. The trick for the Vetter is to find a 7" projector housing. The ones I've seen or tried so far don't work properly, and there's not enough room behind the housing for most projectors. The HID just about turns the road in front of you into daylight.

Comment

Working...
              X