Second try gsxr conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    With a straight edge, laser or string off of the back sprocket. You need to check the wheel alignment against the front wheel first though to make sure it's straight in the swingarm.

I think the proper order is:

Step #1 Center the rear wheel in the frame
    (taking into acount swing arm offset measure spacing of wheel in swing arm forks) (approx 1-2mm)

Step #2 Align front wheel with rear (e.g. string method) (approx 2-3mm)

Step #3 Check chain alignment and adjust as required. (1-2mm)

Comment

Since you're using the smaller axle and bearings what did you do about the bearing support inside the hub of the wheel? It needs to be there and the same length as the GSXR part to keep the bearings centered within themselves. I used my stock part which was too short but I added a length of tubular steel the right inner diameter to make up the difference. I didn't bother welding the two together, just used some epoxy putty to hold things together for assembly.

Comment

I just went out and did some measuring.... I have an 1100 six paddle/rubber wheel, my sons 600 kat has the same five/five sprocket holder that josh is trying to use with his 750 wheel. From outer edge of the carrier to outer edge of the inside of the sprocket (same width of sprocket on both) is the same 1 3/4 in. I'm using the stock 750es sprocket side spacer, my swingarm is only 1/4 of an inch wider than my spare unmodified bare swingarm. I have a regular countershaft (but 16 tooth) sprocket with an 1/8th inch spacer on the inside of it. I use a stock gs axle with no washer inside the nut, also using a shorter flange style castle nut on the axle, i don't know what bike it's from i wish i did it was something i had laying around in my stash. Looking at the picture it sure looks like that spocket is really far out from the wheel. How wide is that wheel at the hub, and how far from the outer edge of the rim? i wonder if it's different from my 1100 wheel?
        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
          Since you're using the smaller axle and bearings what did you do about the bearing support inside the hub of the wheel? It needs to be there and the same length as the GSXR part to keep the bearings centered within themselves. I used my stock part which was too short but I added a length of tubular steel the right inner diameter to make up the difference. I didn't bother welding the two together, just used some epoxy putty to hold things together for assembly.
          Ive got one from an early 600 kat in mine. Same one i used with the 600 wheel i got from you.

Comment

Originally posted by smarzinski View Post
            I have the 4.5" rim and am planning on running a 160 rear
            WOW looks like a lot of headache, I am getting a 3.5" 1150 wheel to run a 150 tire and it basically just bolts right in

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
              WOW looks like a lot of headache, I am getting a 3.5" 1150 wheel to run a 150 tire and it basically just bolts right in
              No, not really. I had a 17x3.5 wheel (140/70 radial) from an early 600 katana on mine that was basically a bolt in, the 17x4.5 with a 160/60 is even better. I know some scoff at how much better a radial is over a bias but, once you have done the swap you would never go back. Wish i could do it to my 850...

Comment

I run a 180/55/17 on mine, using a complete rear clip though
                Gl-
                Ron

Comment

K ill have to answer these one at a time. First my wheel and sprocket carrier ar 5 paddle. the carrier and sprocket are off of a katana 600 91 or 92 I believe (I have it all written down somewhere.). Ill have to look up how to do this "string method". To gearhead- its not really a headache just alot of research and questions, but thanks to everyone here it has gone pretty smooth! Only a few hours of actual work and weeks of questions and research!

Comment

Originally posted by Busafied View Post
                    I run a 180/55/17 on mine, using a complete rear clip though
                    Gl-
                    Ron
                    I want to do the motor swap you did to mine... I've allready been keeping my eyes open for a donor.

Comment

The last guy who fitted one of those 5 rubber wheels to a 750 needed to use a GS500 Sprocket carrier to move the sprocket closer to the wheel. If you do a search on here you'll find his thread.
                      Can't remember his name now.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The last guy who fitted one of those 5 rubber wheels to a 750 needed to use a GS500 Sprocket carrier to move the sprocket closer to the wheel. If you do a search on here you'll find his thread.
                        I wonder what his issue was? I'm using a 5 paddle wheel with the stock GSXR carrier with no problem. I had one from a Kat 600 that measured the same as the GSXR carrier.

Comment

Here we go... have a read. Could have been a GSXR wheel not Katana. Was a 4.5" for sure, I sold it to him but don't know exactly where it came from just what I was told when I bought it.....

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Here we go... have a read. Could have been a GSXR wheel not Katana. Was a 4.5" for sure, I sold it to him but don't know exactly where it came from just what I was told when I bought it.....

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=156266
                            I remember that thread now. I think I even gave a response or two. I still can't figure out why his didn't work like mine and Dee's did. Ours are basically the same as what he was trying to do. I didn't read the entire thread though so I'm sure I'm missing something.

Comment

I got everything in, its just now I figured out my axles to short. The sprocket actually doesnt look that far off. I think the wheel was cocked in the picture. Just need to find a longer axle now.

Comment

I did it on an 1100, used a 97 600 bandit rear wheel and a GS500 carrier, 1/8 th in washer on the inside of counter shaft sprocket and a 530 chain, stock swingarm , bandit rear caliper with modified support bar
                                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                                X