No announcement yet.

1983 GS750E Project Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aint those carbs fun? It's like trying to stuff an elephant into a Mini. My absolute LEAST favorite task on these bikes.

Looking good so far; keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Rkt-Rch View Post
      Click on my link and you can here what yours will sound like (pretty much) only mine is a 700cc but has the supertrap exhaust and should shound close to the same. I just recently put in 12 diffuzer discs and end cap and it did make for a smother ride but still haveing the punch when needed.

If you you take a look at my pictures you to will believe you can bring HER back to life !!! It's looking good so far...
      Sounds good Rkt-Rch, mine should sound very similar.

Comment

Sure you already seen this but here's mine

Click on the image.Eight or nine disks,not quite sure how you count them.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2011, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Sounds good SVSooke.

It's odd how large (long) the canister is on my Supertrap pipe.

Comment

Think yours is the later "universal" style can.Means the mid pipe has to be longer.

Comment

Changed the sparkplugs today and found that all the plug caps were going to the wrong cylinders, that wouldn't have been good! Did some more body work too, stripped all the white paint off the front fender and windscreen so they can be primed and painted black.

Comment

Lots of progress today! Everything is all wired up, LED signals are working (got an electronic flasher). Hooked up new choke cable and throttle cable, put gas tank on and hooked up all connections, filled with gas and......nothing, turning over but no start.

Checked carb float bowls and no gas at all, checked sparkplugs and lots of spark. Took tank off, put on my other tank which had last years gas in it, nothing, no gas in carb bowls. Emptied out spare tank with all the old gas, took off the petcock and voila, problem found, petcock was no good. What are the chances of having 2 bad petcocks??? Pretty good since I just found out both were screwed.

I took apart the worst one and was able to get it to only work on prime but it would not stop flowing gas on any setting. I thought, why not see if the bike will fire so I hooked it up and Yes it started up and sounded awesome with the Supertrapp pipe!!! I don't think the neighbours were impressed with all the reving but I was excited that the bike actually works since it was such an unkown when I bought it in the spring.

Only problem was too much gas so I had to cut it short and turn it off and got the gas to stop flowing. The tank is in the garage now leaning up against the wall. I need a petcock rebuild kit! I also need a new battery as the one I got is crap and overflows everytime I hook the charger up to it, yet dies really fast.

What's left to do is I need a petcock rebuild kit, battery, chain, replace fork seals, tighten up some bolts and front fender and that's about it, should be rideable really soon

Comment

After reading all about the failure rates of petcock rebuild kits, I might just buy a new one from Z1 enterprises as they are only $47.50
                  Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

I was reading that and was going to suggest what you are going to do.In 4 bikes I got 1 good petcock.Figure your odds from that.

Comment

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered the new petcock from Z1. The rebuild kits were a little cheaper but there's no sense wasting the money on them if they will probably not work anyways.

Comment

Changed all the keyed pieces on the red bike over to the one's from the white bike so one key is only needed. The ignition on the red one would work with any key which would not be good! Also changed out the master cylinder to see if I can get the front brakes working.

I am still waiting for some parts to arrive:

mirrors http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

chain http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

petcock http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1716

Comment

I got my new petcock today, thanks Z1!! I installed it, hooked up fuel lines and gas gauge wires and proceeded to start the bike. It started pretty much right away and sounded great until I noticed the dripping gas coming from the carbs. I let it run for a bit but shut it down before I had a fire or something. I couldn't tell where the leak was coming from but it was a very steady drip and was even
                          worse on prime - maybe a stuck float?

I took a shortcut when I bought the red bike and looked at the carbs and float bowls and they looked good. Obviously something is wrong so I will have to take them out and thoroughly clean them and replace all the o-rings. I should have done this to start with but my lesson is learned. This will be my weekend job. I am still waiting for my mirrors and chain to arrive anyways.

Comment

Just an update here. I have all my ordered parts, mirrors look good, chain and new petcock. The carbs are on my workbench right now. I cleaned them and replaced all the o-rings. There weren't dirty at all but all the fuel o-rings were broken so that's probably why they were leaking. I buggered up 2 pilot jet screws and stripped the heads so they stayed in when I cleaned the carbs. I used Pine sol which seemd to work good but my carbs were already fairly clean.

I am having a very hard time getting the screws off for the carb boots so I can change the o-rings. I keep putting penetrating oil on them and the very first one is now stripped. Why do they use phillip head screws??? I got mad and took a break from it for a bit, time to clean up the shed!!

Comment

Two of your favorite tools should be:

Impact driver with a #3 Phillips bit and Hammer....

OR

Dremel and Chisel/flat blade screw driver.

If you have to use the Dremel, cut a slot along the head and use a chisel or old flat blade to knock on one end turning the screw left. Then replace with Allen head or hex head screws.
                              Last edited by cowboyup3371; 05-24-2011, 01:45 PM.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Finally got to working on the bike again!! Put the carbs back in, hooked everything up and got it started.

Not running perfect yet, was leaking some gas out of airbox drain but I tapped on the float bowls and it stopped leaking, something must have been stuck. Runs good with the choke on, but will stall when it idles.
                                Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2011, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X