No announcement yet.

Extreme Makeover- Bike Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the easy part. Not looking forward to squeezing the motor back in once the frame is powder coated.

Comment

Lots of polishing ahead.

Comment

To post more than one picture store them somewhere like Photobucket or Imageshack. With Photobucket you choose the picture you want to display. The click on the Direct Link. It will automatically copy the image location. Then if you look above the reply box you'll see an icon of a mountain. Click on that then copy the location into that box. The image should appear. You can do multiple full size images instead of thumbnails that way.

Comment

Not afraid to get dirty. I think she is enjoying it more than i am.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoota View Post
            This is the easy part. Not looking forward to squeezing the motor back in once the frame is powder coated.
            Lay the engine on its side on a blanket then lay the frame over it. You'll have to have a bike lift or block the frame up for the chassis assembly.

Comment

Thanks Billy Ricks. I might have to do that. Although its one way to get my post count up.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoota View Post
                Not afraid to get dirty. I think she is enjoying it more than i am.
                My wife won't even put air in a tire. You're a lucky SOB.

Comment

Ok time for an update. My girlfriend got her small bike license today and we picked up her frame from the powder coaters. So her zzr250 is ready to go back together.
                  So if i want to keep up with her i had better get my Suzuki done too. At the moment it hasnt changed since my last post. Its a bare freshly powder coated frame and several boxes of bits.
                  As you all probably know these gs1000 motors are a snug fit so i really dont want to put it in twice. It has some rattles so im contemplating a rebuild but to what extent im not sure.
                  If i could find a strong motor in good condition i could paint and polish it and put it in. On the other hand i have a reasonable motor that could do with some love.
                  So i welcome your opinions and suggestions as to what i do next. Im also open to minor mods to make her get up and go. I look forward to hearing your ideas.
                  Also if anyone has a good motor modded or not that is for sale let me know. It might be just the thing.

Comment

If the motor runs ok but just "has some rattles" then perhaps it just needs a good valve adjustment and carb balance?

If that's the case, I'd clean it up and stick it in and take care of the maintenance as is.

I'd rather have a motor I know is ok but needs a little TLC than one I have no idea what the history is...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Those 1000 are fairly "noisy" motors.Search cam....shot can't remember the term used.The cams move slightly from side to side.Sounds bad but there seems to be no problems with it.from what I have read not all of them do this.I'd just do what Pete said and check that.
                      Edit: Cam walk.Posted to early in the morning here.
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2011, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Clutches rattle too. If the carbs are badly out of sinch, that can make the clutch rattle quite alarmingly at idle.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Do the valve maintenance and guage sync the carbs. Check to be sure the clutch hub nut is tight and that the lock tab is in good shape. Once all thats done it should quiet right down The symptom of cam walk really isnt any big deal there was a thread a while back where someone posted how they machined the ends ans made shims to stop cam walk..if anyone has that link then repost it please.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys. I am aware of some of these potential problems. Im just afraid to do the above mentioned things and get it back in the bike and find it still clunking. It only does it at idle so hopefully it will be one of these minor jobs. If i get it together and its still noisy i can always drop it off at a mechanic. Then they can fix any scratches they put on the frame.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if a 1983 gsx750 front wheel fender is the same as a 1980 gs1000 one?

Comment

nevermind. stoopid question.

Comment

Working...
                                X