No announcement yet.

Motocrossx23's GS750 Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right you are! I'm hoping to get a hold of some GSXR rear sets so I can fabricate a bracket off the frame. Right now though my focus is on the tail, seat pan and seat. The seat in the picture is actually a friend of mine's. It just so happened to fit perfect with the tail we made out of the 550E tank we cut up.

Comment

There now, doesn't that feel good? She's looking like a bike again. Things just seek to move better once you get the creative juices flowing!

Comment

A little delay on this build, I decided to put some time/money into the SV for the time being. I needed new tires for my Mid-Ohio track day and figured while I had the wheels off I'd install the ZX6R rear shock, as well as progressive springs and new fork oil up front.

It'll be updated soon though!

Comment

Well....

The SV crashed (more so, I crashed it.)

So I sold it today, and now I have a nice chunk of change to spend on this project!

I was going to buy rearsets tonight but at the last second, a buddy of mine texted me and told me that his old R6-S rearsets are mine if I want them.

Free.

SWEET!

Comment

Bummer about the SV man. Hope you didn't hurt yourself when you went down. Was it at the Mid-Ohio track day you were prepping it for??

On the bright side at least you have some motivation to finish the Cafe now. You needs yourself a bike .

The mock up pictures you posted are awesome btw. I love the lines of the tank seat and tail. Looking forward to seeing this one finished. Keep at it!

Comment

Broken finger, shoulder contusion, banged up knee.

Crashed on the street the day before Ohio, long story short it sucked. I'm okay though, it's just a bike lol.

Thanks for the compliments, I definitely am getting excited about this bike.

Comment

Update!

Had to widen the tank that we cut up for the fairing so it would fit over the sides of the frame:

Then I welded the tank/fairing to the metal pan I hammered over the frame as a bottom

Then I forgot to keep taking pictures, I laid another sheet starting at the top of the fairing carrying down the curve that I cut into the tank and then wrapped that sheet also over the frame. The bottom is now two layers thick. I welded up all of the seams throughout and then trimmed all the excess and ground down the welds. Made a mount point between the tank mount and frame so the fairing gets pinched in between.

Mocked up with my buddy's borrowed seat from his CB550 (the one in the background)

I still can't get over how clean the lines are now that we modded the frame, I love it.

Comment

Looks good. Tempts me to want a cafe style bike

Comment

So I got my rearsets in the mail, time to mock up some metal!

Comment

You do nice work. The Honda in the background is pretty sharp as well.

Comment

Thanks, I owe a lot of the credit to my buddy (the one with the Honda), this is a collaboration between him and I. I think we have quite a good vision, we think the same lol.

Comment

Got a lot of progress done tonight. My big hiccup was how to finish the tail of the bike. I didn't want to go in over my head with metal fabrication and what not, so after quite a break from this project it hit me....KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Cut that **** off and make life much easier.

Cardboard template mocked up and sprayed for awesomeness:

Welded up the top:

All welded up and ALMOST ready to be hit with the grinder and bondo'ed up:

Would've finished but we kinda ran out of wire lol...not a big deal, we got a TON done. Felt really good to be in the garage again.

Comment

Nice stuff, glad you are up and at 'em!

Comment

Thanks man, I hope to have some more updates on Monday

Comment

looks good so far. keep updatin.

Comment

Working...
                                X