No announcement yet.

82'1100g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the mean time, any suggestions on where to get a decent looking, large enough to do what a windshield is supposed to do, clear widshield for this thing?

I've already got a crash bar with highway pegs, thanks to fellow member Hikermikem, I'll be fitting over the winter. Will be looking at, preferably, leather bags for the back also.

Thanks........

PS
    Might even be picking it up from my budy this weekend......

Comment

Been a while since I got the bike back from my budy and I've been bussy on her. He hired a mechanic with whom I am greatly dissapointed. The guy simply did soddy work and I let my budy know about it.

Anyway, Since it's been back, I've put intake boots and o-rings along with all new boot clamps, (intake and airbox). Did a synch etc on it, I've also been slowly creeping up on the correct amount of washers for shimming the needles. It seems I am at least close. Smooth consistant power from idle to revs. It's not quite all the way there like I want it, but I'm confident now that I can make it run correctly before getting it in the basement for the winter, (that will be an adventure in itself. I only have a hatchway into my basement. I'll post how that goes, I'm even thinking of taking some pictures.). I have had it at idle rpms in high gear and simply started turning the throttle. In this situation, it just pulls smooth and increasingly as I turn the handle and as the revs go up, same thing right through the gears. wwwWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - 2nd - wwwWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - 3rd - wwwWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA and so on. Each gear is about 2-3 seconds when turning about 3000 to 6000 rpms

1st gear, idle and rolling, (10mph or so maybee) to 60 ..........about 3/4 through 2nd gear or 4-5 seconds at a guess.

In the spring I think I can get her to pull alot harder throughout the whole range with some fooling around with it.

Comment

A link to a couple of pics of both my bikes outside in the below freakin' freezzzzzing temps while I get the shed ready for winter. Hope to get them in the basement this Sunday, (12-5-10).

Well Sunday is here and the link has been updated with pics of the 2 bikes getting all warmed up by the stove in the basement also. Now the work can begin.

Took the tanks and batteries out, but they still stink of gas..............boy is the wife gonna be impressed with this whole operation...............(HE HE HE)

http://s510.photobucket.com/albums/s.../Both%20Bikes/
        Last edited by Guest; 12-05-2010, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Been a while since I've posted but I've been getting some things don on the bike. Just a couple pics of the ol' girl nnekit'.

Comment

One more of the front

Comment

Just a list of stuff done up till now,

stripped everything but the motor,swing arm, and steering/forks off the bike

Removed complete wiring harness, dissassembled all elect connectors and cleaned/greased all,
              removed alternator wires from harness, plan to wire direct

Dissassembled dash, L & R handle bar controls and cleaned/greased all connections there

Removed rear wheel to find missing spacer that goes "inside" final drive. Measured and made one myself since one is not available from dealer, replaced drive hub and o-ring in wheel, (Steve, I think I had one of those ones made of cheezeee you so elequently described. Glad I took your guys' advice on that.)

Replaced all the seals/o-ring in the final drive due to a weeper somewhere in there

Have valve shims on order for valve adjustment

Sand blasted battery box etc and rear brake res mounting strap and painted

Completely rebuilt all callipers, had to replace rear pistons also

Had all new braided brake lines made

Have new(used) front rotors to replace the warped ones on it

PS
              Anyone know of a reasonably easy way to get the rear springs off the shocks so I can at least steel wool them and put some wax on there. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Getting closer folks. BUT.................Got K&L carb rebuild kits for the 82' GS1100g simply because I wanted to replace the float needles and seats, needle and seat from Suzuki $40.00 each, K&L kit includes it plus gaskets, jets, rubber, etc for $27.00, no brainer.

Carb ID for 82'1100gz is 49400, the carbs on the bike are 49380 for an 83 1100E. Going to put all of the correct parts in the carbs for the 1100E and go from there.

I have the service manual for the 82' 1100gz from Basscliff's site. Knowing NOW that the carbs ar for an 83' 1100e, I looked at the service manual for that as well. The G manual depicts measuring the float hight from the top of the lip where the bowl fits into up to the topmost flat of the float where the metal part is, the E manual depicts the measurement from the gasket surface up to the flat on the float material. Whitch one do I use?

Next question for you experienced guys. My airbox does not have the snorkle. Should I bother trying to find one?

Shooting to get the ol' girl out of the cellar in about 2 weeks so I can get her fired up and tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
                  My airbox does not have the snorkle. Should I bother trying to find one?
                  Hey Don,

I think if you are keeping everything stock, then you'll need the snorkel.
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
                    PS
                    Anyone know of a reasonably easy way to get the rear springs off the shocks so I can at least steel wool them and put some wax on there. Thanks in advance.
                    I'm not sure if its reasonably easy or not, but I managed to compress the springs using the front fork compressor that came in the factory tool bag. It was pretty tricky (and probably not to safe) but it worked and the springs/shocks look great!
                    Hope that helps,
                    Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Comment

IMHO, the snorkel is more of a sound deadening device than anything else.
                        On one of my bikes that still have the factory air-box, the PO took it off and it runs just as well,
                        only louder, than the bike that is all stock. (snorkel included.)
                        The rest have pods and 4-into-1's.

Daniel

Comment

Latest update,

Got a snorkle $5.00, fuse box $5.00, one horn $5.00, and a starter cover $5.00, off flea-bay. Installed all with no issues.

Put all of the correct jetting etc for the carbs in. Did a quickie "nut and bolt" on all of the stuff I had apart over the winter to be sure I hadn't forgotten anything, paid special attention to the wheels and brakes.

Got my budie's quad and pulled it out of the basement this sunday. Put the battery in, cranked it a few million times to get the oil going, put the tank on and primed the bowls. (Not really knowing what the carbs would do with ALOT leaner jetting than before, I pretty mutch expected to have to do all kinds of jet swapping to get things correct.) Gave it some choke, pulled the clutch, pushed the button, and .......... 2 FLIPPIN CRANKS, like wa wa brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbbrrbrbrbbrbrbr. Smooth like an injected bike. HOW LUCKY IS THAT??

Still have to put the mercury sticks to her, but the quickie ride I took was on a completely different bike than when I put it in the cellar in the fall.

Pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Have to get some tires on before I go too far though. Both are in pretty bad shape.

Next on the list to cross off:

Synch and tune
                          Tires (Put new front rotors on when tires are changed)
                          Ride it till my butt is red!!!!!

Comment

Sounds good Don!! Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Regarding that snorkel, I know my old 550L would not run right without it.

I've had Big Red out a few times already this Spring, we gotta get together again & ride soon.

Mike
                            '85 GS550L - SOLD
                            '85 GS550E - SOLD
                            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                            '81 GS750L - SOLD
                            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Mike,

I thought about giving you a ring a couple times,(even rode by once), but all were on the weekends. Figured you'd still be double plankin' it up north. Took Karen up to " the bean" 1 or 2 weekends ago for a nice ride and a sangwich. The place was crawling with those horrid biker types.....LOL!!!! (A couple of yuppies in beemers and volvos mixed in too).

This week looks pretty crappy for riding but, yeah, I'll give you a ring and you do the same if the wether's good to go for a quick after work buzz or something. Keep me posted when you'll be in town on a weekend too.

Looking to get the " Eastern CT rides" post going soon. Gonna try to get the word out for opinions in the next week or so to schedule a ride in a couple-few weeks.

How have you come on your 550? Don't know if you did anything over the winter on it. Interested to know. And did you have any plans for anything on big red over the winter?

PS
                              Thought that was big red when I saw the photo of the month.
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2011, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Don,

I had good intentions for getting the 550 further along this Winter but alas, I skied most every weekend & didn't touch it. No heat in the shed helped with that decision as well...

I'm hoping to at least get the 550 back together & ridable, but the brakes need attention first - I've already rebuilt the front system (M/C and calipers) and still need to tear the rears apart. Gotta get some SS line & fittings too. No rush, it's my downtime therapy.

Big Red needs a fork seal, so I bought those Moly-Pro ones to try. Also picked up a set of Progressive springs for her and will change over to 10w fork oil this time, in lieu of the 15W I'm currently running. Bought a new Tarozzi fork brace too!! I'm hoping all that will eliminate a nasty high speed wobble I get starting at about a buck... I will check the steering stem nut & front tire balance again too.

Work has me on-the-road a lot this Spring, plus selling a house up North, plus refurbishing my ski condo at Burke. I'm not around too much now, but hopefully the Summer will be calmer.

Ride on!!
                                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                                X