No announcement yet.

My new project 1982 GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THe bike has 57,000 miles on it. I have been watching and researching the carb issues. I am going to pick up some carb cleaner and get at it tonight or tomorrow. ANy recommendations on cleaners?

Comment

Just wanted to mention that a really usefull tool for getting carbs on and off is an electric paint stripper gun. One of those looks like a hairdrier gizmos only blows way hotter. They can easily burn things so be careful.

You'll find that the boots from the airfilter box and those to the head get really stiff over time and when they are cold. Heating them up makes them pliable and easier to deal with, especially when putting the carbs back on. I play the gun around the outsides of the boots and stick the tip of the gun into to "throats" for 15 or 20 seconds then spray in a bit of lube like silicone spray or WD40. The carbs will slip in very easily.

At first it takes a bit of juggling to get everything universally warm but after awhile it becomes second nature. I find it really speeds up the process and eliminates a lot of frustration.

I should also mention that I find it easiest to attach the cables to the carbs before they are refitted to the engine.

Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck with the project,
      Spyug

Comment

good idea with the heat gun but careful you dont touch it on your arm... I got a burn scar under my left arm from using one of them back in my painting days working my way through college. Lost my footing a bit on the step ladder and as I moved my arm to get my balance it hit the gun and instant bubbly skin...

Comment

Ok I am struggling with the cables that are connected to the carbs. What is the easiest way to remove the cables?

Comment

Originally posted by russellhartzell View Post
            Ok I am struggling with the cables that are connected to the carbs. What is the easiest way to remove the cables?
            Of course you have the tank off? slacken adjuster at throttle hand grip- this will give you more play. If you have camera, take pics now, cuz they'll will help later. 57k ? that's impressive, somebody took care of it!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I was amazed at how good of shape it is in. The electrical is even looking good. The harnesses have not been hacked to death or anything.

Comment

alright I got the Carbs off and the airbox off.

Comment

That is a seriously good-looking gift. Even the paint looks good. The stripes on my 83 GS650G are flaking off so straight gloss black is one option I am considering.

Carb gunk will be the biggest problem if the bike hasn't run for a while, but this site (and BassCliff) has lots of great help and tutorials available.

Jim
                  1981 GS550T (Long gone)
                  1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

they actually look ok but I am going to rebuild them anyways. The Paint is Harley Vivid black. I like it. What do you guys think of white walls on this bike?

Comment

As far as white walls go, there are none that'll fit (100/90/19 Front). There are though, white lettered tires. Had a set on when I first got the bike and they look good, IMO, on black or white bikes.

Comment

Any idea where to find a brake light lense for a 1982 GS650g?

Comment

Check a parts finder to see if an 81 & 82 are the same. If they are, Steve (lurch12_2000) might still have one for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by russellhartzell View Post
                            Any idea where to find a brake light lense for a 1982 GS650g?
                            There's a few on Ebay right now. Or post up in the Parts Wanted forum. Oh and welcome and nice bike. Looks like someone took care of it. Looks like Accell coils, crash bars, progressive rear shocks... Nice paint too.

Comment

THe more I dig into this more amazed I am. I am going to do a valve check this weekend hopefully and start swapping lines.

Can I buy fuel line and vent line at a local auto parts store?

Comment

Go to a motorcycle shop so you are guaranteed to find one that fits your bike with no problems.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X