No announcement yet.

82 GS750S Katana project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small update. I was thinking of a stock look on this Kat.... That didn't last too long

I just paid for this little gem. 93 GSXR750 with bent valves. $450. Just have to go pick it up. I would like to have my mods as reversable as possible and hold onto the stock parts. The 93 will be great for that. I think I'll look at modding the GSXR tripples for more ground clearance instead of going the 954 route.

I've also picked up a complete 1988 slingshot gsxr750 head with cams to install on my GS1100 engine.

Comment

So...
      You are all about stealing all of the Suzuki's eh?

Daniel

Comment

I wish I could kick you... under $500 for bikes in that shape? I'm getting on craigslist right now to out do you...

Comment

Yea, I'm taking my time looking around. Deals dont usualy show up online. Word of mouth has been better for me.

Comment

Finally had some time to work on the project. I'll need a little input from you guys on a couple things. Mounted the GSXR front end. It doesn't clear the fairing frame, but shouldn't take much.

This image shows the contact on left turn of the bars.

I also have a question for guys that have done this. Are you using the stock brake MC and clutch perch?

1: I'd like to use the stock mirrors, but dont know if the MC is up to the job for these new brakes, and I'm planning on 6 piston calipers.

2: Do you use a GSXR750 ignition switch, or will the stock switch fit in the top tripple off the GSXR?

Comment

TTT Anyone have any experience with my questions? I figure Katman does?

Comment

I would use the GSXR ignition. El G.

Comment

Originally posted by still_bluenoser View Post
                  TTT Anyone have any experience with my questions? I figure Katman does?

check out his website.

robwilton.com

Chris
                  1983 750 Katana
                  1982 750 Katana (parts use)
                  1983 RZ350

Comment

So I think I've figured out my ground clearance problem. I just picked up this 954 top clamp.

It appears that I will be able to install this top clamp to lower the forks, than mount straight bar mounts to the top of the clamp with the existing threaded holes.

Or I could install this, and get clip ons with a lot of rise in them so they could be mounted under the top clamp and still have a sane riding position.

Comment

Couple of pics of new top clamp installed. Great ground clearance now!!

Lots of clearance issues with the fairing. Lower pinch bolts on bottom clamp hit the fairing frame, and the forks rub the fairing itself.

Comment

First of all let me say I hate you...just kidding... check this thread out he did a lot of what you are doing and his build came out awesome... made me want a Katana.

He is around give him a PM i am sure he would give you some advice on what worked and did not work for him

Paul

Comment

All looks good Patrick. Seems you have more time on your hands than I since mine is sitting exactly where I rolled it to when I got it. I keep telling myself it's a summer project!

Comment

I've been stealing time from things I shouldn't Greg, Make time!!!

Comment

Wow Paul, first time my thread's ever been referenced in another's build!

Thanks for the props, but I didn't do any fork/suspension changes. I've read that the GSX-R fork conversion rubs the fairing and fairing stay. The fairing is an easy fix, just trim to suit. The fairing stay, now that may take some more doing.....

And by the way, I only paid 200 for my Katana. Yours is much nicer than mine was, however. Congrats! It's always good to see more Katana's on here!

Comment

Originally posted by still_bluenoser View Post
                                So I think I've figured out my ground clearance problem. I just picked up this 954 top clamp.

It appears that I will be able to install this top clamp to lower the forks, than mount straight bar mounts to the top of the clamp with the existing threaded holes.

Or I could install this, and get clip ons with a lot of rise in them so they could be mounted under the top clamp and still have a sane riding position.

I was just looking at that tiple clamp figuring you would have to spend $350 for it; the see you stole it for about $60

That triple also looks to have holes for mounting a set of bar risers if you decided to go that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X