No announcement yet.

My new current project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey thanks guys, Im just happy to finally have a GS of my very own and its such a fun bike to ride. Some folks have said I am too tall for it but I like it, its comfortable, agile, and peppy for a "little 700"

Right now shes pretty much on stand still just sitting happily in my garage waiting for her time to shine. Im an still hunting for a job and once I get some steady income that will give me extra funds to play with.

As for plans part of me wants to keep her stock but another part wants to add some gsxr bits here and there (forks, wheels and gauges mainly) Im still not sure what to do.

First thing I need to do is sell off the rest of the gs1000 parts I have cluttering up the shop so that I can have the room to dismantle the 700 and clean things up.
    ---Eric

Comment

Well I got a little bit of work done to the bike. Performed an un-needed valve adjustment, everything was in spec as I expected due to the mileage.

Also found the issue with the choke but I didnt get a pic because I kind of got excited it was simple. See the choke lever was only pulling out the choke maybee 1/2 out and I didnt realize it at first so it took a little cranking from a cold start to get fire.

Well I FINALLY got the carbs off with alot of fighting and some choice words, what a pain in the you know what

I then discovered that one of the little metal tabs that attach to the individual chokes on the carb bodies and are linked by the bar that moves them all at once was bent pretty good. It was jamming the bar up and causing the choke not to fully engage. I bent it back w/ some pliers and put it back and the choke now works smoooooth as glass.

I havent put the carbs back in yet as Im going to clean them a little and I cant fire it in the house Oh yeah I brought it in my spare room while its so cold outside.

More updates coming soon as I get the money for some mods/repairs.
      ---Eric

Comment

Missed it when you posted it.Love seeing 'my' parts go to poeple.Looking real good there.Got to get going on my 85 and my wife's 86 400 to.

Comment

My 84 Katana is essentially the same bike but with a hydraulic clutch and cooler bodywork, and I can tell you from firsthand experience I have never had more difficulty getting carbs in and out than I have with these bikes. UGHHHH!
          But they are GREAT bikes and underrated/under appreciated, IMO.
          Yours looks great, BTW, and keep up the good work!

Comment

When putting the valve cover back on go slow and do not over tighten the head bolts, they strip out very easily..trust me I know...

Great little bike...of coarse I am a little bias..

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
              Well I got a little bit of work done to the bike. Performed an un-needed valve adjustment, everything was in spec as I expected due to the mileage.
              Also found the issue with the choke but I didnt get a pic because I kind of got excited it was simple. See the choke lever was only pulling out the choke maybe 1/2 out and I didnt realize it at first so it took a little cranking from a cold start to get fire.
              Well I FINALLY got the carbs off with alot of fighting and some choice words, what a pain in the you know what
              I then discovered that one of the little metal tabs that attach to the individual chokes on the carb bodies and are linked by the bar that moves them all at once was bent pretty good. It was jamming the bar up and causing the choke not to fully engage. I bent it back w/ some pliers and put it back and the choke now works smoooooth as glass.
              Excellent!
              By checking the valve adjustment, you know for certain that they are set correctly. It eliminates doubt further down the line.
              Good catch on the bent choke linkage.
              Rear caliper and exhaust look great.
              It is nice having it inside to entice you to look at it more often. You just might spot something else that is amiss that would have been missed otherwise.
              Slow and steady wins the race. Little by little, she will be beautiful once again.
              (It already looked nice when you got her.)
              Best wishes in finding work.

Daniel

Comment

Thanks guys. And I think Ive decided what to do as far as paint goes but that will be one of the last things. Im going to get it mechanically sound before I deal with cosmetics but Im thinking about painting it white without the decals. Maybe some smaller more discrete decals like SUZUKI on the tank and GS700E on the sides.
                ---Eric

Comment

Now were getting somewhere

Forks are getting removed to replace the seals and oil. I will also be adding a longer spacer to help out since I cant afford progressive springs yet.

After fighting with the handle bar "risers" to get them removed then taking a break and getting them off Im at a stand still as I need to pick up a pair of snap ring pliers. I will be doing that later since I will be going past Harbor Freight. Probably pick up a seal puller too while Im there.

---Eric

Comment

A little more progress to report.

Old fork seals are out and the new ones are in.

That was alot easier than I had expected thanks to the GSR

Now I need to get someone to help me so I can remove the fork caps and change the oil. I pushed down both caps and they moved down so they arnt corroded in place which is good news.

Its going to be tempting to take her for a test ride when I get this done despite the temperature but I might just do if it doesn't rain or snow again
                    ---Eric

Comment

Here is the latest thing Ive done. Picked up some risers and used the old set of bars I had laying around. Looks pretty good and Feels alot better than the old ones.

Ignore the one mirror. The left one broke on me when it was cold. I still want a set of bar ends.

---Eric

Comment

Working...
                      X