No announcement yet.

stripping paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok....*sigh* I guess its the manual labor thing then. I did start peeling the pinstripe on the tail piece a few weeks ago and what tiny bit I did seemed to come easily. I used to have a palm sander til my daughter loaned it to her useless boyfreind. GONE!
    I was thinking media to be absolutely sure I got it ALL. But I admit I am concerned about getting grit inside the tank. (Not like it can't be gotten out though.)
    I will be removing the petcock as well as the fuel gauge sender unit. Got all new gaskets to put them back on too.
    Can't wait to see what new base/clear in black will look like. (no chips or scatches)

Anyone try using those acid dip places that do automotive parts?

Comment

I've sandblasted more than one motorcycle tank. sand in the tank isnt a big deal to get out again, nor is it hard to simply put an inline filter on.

aircraft stripper works well for metal, but on plastic, your only safe and effective choice, is to sand. break out the orbital, start with some coarse stuff, and work down to about a 400 grit or so. you'll want SOMETHING for the primer to adhere to, so you dont want smooth as glass surfaces, but not deep GOUGES either.

if you do good prep work, your paintjob will look AWESOME. lazy prepwork, and your paint will look like a 5 year old could do a better job with a paintbrush and latex base paint.

Comment

Question about the sanding, do I need a DA sander for my air compressor or can my standard orbital or belt I use for my wood projects do me just as good but with different paper?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I used a 15$ cheapy vibrating sander from home depot with 100 grit automotive paper and worked down to 200 grit.

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
            if you do good prep work, your paintjob will look AWESOME. lazy prepwork, and your paint will look like a 5 year old could do a better job with a paintbrush and latex base paint.
            LMAO!!!!
            Check this out.....

Painting my stockcar back in `86. (Only it was oil based paints I used not latex lol)
            Lighter colors stick out better on a racetrack at night.

The end reult...(even hand lettered the car with brushes)
            Last edited by Guest; 10-26-2010, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick65Cat View Post
              LMAO!!!!
              Check this out.....

Painting my stockcar back in `86. (Only it was oil based paints I used not latex lol)
              Lighter colors stick out better on a racetrack at night.

The end reult...(even hand lettered the car with brushes)
              http://rick65cat.multiply.com/photos...g_team#photo=7
              Very nice! getting sick of my plain white car. Looking at your paint job is inspirering! Might cut my hood for effect.

Comment

Working...
              X