Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you start up a 79 GS750 After sitting for 10 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you start up a 79 GS750 After sitting for 10 years?

I am in the process of reviving a 1979 Suzuki GS750L. It has been sitting for ten years and it obviously needs some work. I am rebuilding the cars and cleaning out the gas tank. Replaced battery as well.. obviously.

I just want to make sure I get all the info on starting her up for her first run. I have not changed the oil or taken off spark plugs to check the cylinders. Keep that in mind when youre posting.

Any Info on what to check before i try to start it up would be VERY helpful. I really just dont want to try to start it up and screw something up.. This will be the first motorcycle that i have ever revived. Really dont want to break it in the process!! Thank youu!!

Definitely change the oil and plugs before doing much else. I would also do a valve adjustment since that verifies it and whether the engine is seized. Finally, look over the electrical connections and clean up any corroded ends.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Do you have a link on how to do a valve adjustment? I have no idea how to do one Sorry!!

Comment

Go back to your welcome from Basscliff - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...lve_adjust.pdf

It's written for the 850 but it is the same across the board for the most part.

Check everything first and then get with the shim club (search for it on here) to get your replacements. Make sure you have a set of metric feeler gauges when doing it though

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

By using the search feature and reading some, you can find just about anything you need to know.

Clean carbs, adjusted valves, new fluids and filters, strong electrics and no air leaks are a great place to begin.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Also make sure your intake boots are still good and replace the orings on them

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

THANK YOU!! The bike was almost completely disassemlbed before it was stored. Someone tried to piece it back together and did a good job. Not all the wires are connected for Lights. Will this effect the starting of the bike. I have delt with honda scooters and i know that if a turn signal is disconnected it wont complete the circuit and the turn signals will not opperate properly. Is this the case with this motorcycle? I dont know ANYTHING about the electric with this motorcycle.

I did slowely push down the kick start (with carbs discontected) and could hear/feel the engine sucking in air (maybe) I was not to concerned with the cylinders. Any word on this?

Comment

I always like to put about a teaspoon of good light penetrating oil, like Kroil, in the cylinders and let it sit for a few days while your sorting the other things. IF the rings are stuck, this may help free them up and lubricates the cylinder walls. Then turn the motor over by hand.

Comment

Working...
                X