77 GS 750 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 GS 750 Build

This build is already in progress, after perusing the site a bit I figured I'd share it.

Here is the beginning photo.

Comment

Did some work on the tank, took the emblems off and smoothed up the sides.

Next I pulled the motor did a lot of cleaning, polishing, and painting on the motor and carbs

Comment

You do nice work!

Daniel

Comment

Thanks Daniel! I kind of started out quick, but should fill in the details of this bike. First off, this is my first "owned" motorcycle, though I have ridden (mostly dirtbikes) in the past. I picked this up on Craigslist with 15k on the ODO, a slipping clutch, and an engine that would kick, but not run. Luckily the previous owner had the new clutch plates, but didn't want to mess with it. I had been looking at cheap bikes for a while and after reading about the history and reliability of the gs750 I had to jump on it. After installing the clutch which was 10X easier than the last clutch I changed in my focus I then got the bike to start on some fresh gas and then by doing a little revving and throwing some restriction in front of the carbs I was able to get the needles cleared out and the engine started idling. I took it for a few scoots around the block and fell in love with the sound of the motor and the way she rode.

As far as plans go I intend on replacing many of the high wear items such as tires cables brakes and bearings. I have some experience in fiberglass work and painting so I'm going to do a little work on the rear end and repaint the whole bike. I can't say that it's going to be a cafe or a bobber (probably a little of both), but I have decided on the colors which will be a satin cast iron color and satin black.

Comment

Not a bobber - with those spoked wheels and a kicker it's screaming 'cafe racer'.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

definitely a cafe racer, but what carbs are those? Not the stock vm26's
              looks like it's gonna be a nice bike!

Comment

Hmm, I'm not sure about the carbs. I figured they were stock besides the jets which were 125's . I'll look at them a little closer tonight when I get off work. You guys are right as far as the bike certainly caters toward a cafe look and overall that's what I'm going for, but I'm going to keep the rear fender and the support bars for it. Once I get the frame cleaned a bit better, scuffed, and painted I'm going to start looking at the seat which I want to keep a double that contours to the rear fender yet include a removable fiberglass or sheet metal cover which will expose the passengers seating area in case I'd like to take the lady for a ride.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2010, 03:27 PM. Reason: added

Comment

I bring up the carbs because those top covers aren't stock. You should check out Wrenchmonkees, Deus Ex Machina, bratstyle and bubble visor (blogspot) for inspiration. They have builds that trangress any build definition.

Comment

Since it was to cold in good ole Illinois tonight to get anything done in the garage I decided to draw up what I'm going after.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2010, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Octane80 View Post
                      Since it was to cold in good ole Illinois tonight to get anything done in the garage I decided to draw up what I'm going after.
                      That's a CAFE RACER, single disc and all. Love that seat. Maybe a drum brake on the rear and you're nearly there.

Comment

Finished up pulling all the other bits and ends off the frame tonight and gave it a pressure wash and then some further heavy grease removal. Got a new parts list going and and am going to need to replace the rear caliper, header pipes, and shocks... anyone have some parts for sale???

Comment

Looks like it's coming along! What exact paint colors/brands are those? They look awesome.

Comment

I started out building a solid base with evercoat featherfill primer in black (this you'll need a spraygun/compressor for, then used vht chassis paint in black gloss and the other color is just a duplicolor engine paint called cast coat iron if I remember right. I got the engine back in last night so here's some more pics.

Comment

Did you replace the intake boot O rings & the O rings inside the carbs??

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X