Kranker's 79 GS1000 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update

So i had some time to work on the ol girl on Saturday. First thing I did was some subframe work. Removed it and I will build a new one once my seat arrives and I can see how I want it. My dad is doing body work for me on the gas tank that I will be using.

Frame looks much better I think.

Next I mocked up the swingarm and rear tire. Still waiting for the machinist to finish the bushings that will allow me to use the stock gs swingarm pivot bolt with the GSXR swingarm. The New swingarm is almost a 1/4" wider then the gs swingarm. I had the machinist make the new bushing as narrow as possible on the hat part of it to make up some of the 1/4" that I need. When I get them I will post pics so that will make more sense.

Looks like the I am going to have some issues with the chain hitting the frame.

Well in my search of the internet looking at GS projects I seen this neat little trick on OSS by a man named strangeways and it seemed like the way to do it so of course I copied.

DISCLAIMER!

Let me be the first to say that I am not a professional welder,fabricator,engineer,metallurgist etc.. nor do I claim to be. I have however stayed at a holiday Inn!

This method seemed like a very good way to address the frame clearance issue and still look nice and I like to cut and weld things. I will be adding additional bracing to the frame to help stiffen up the area where the metal was removed.
    So first I made some white lines where it needed to be cut. Out come the cutoff wheel.

Both cuts done!

Next I cut pieces of tubing to fill in the ends to give me a nice rounded profile. Here the one side is done and part of it ground down to give you a better idea what I am looking for.

Next I cut a half moon shape and welded in to the gap to bridge the gap and help tie everything together.This will be done to all four gaps.

Next I took another piece of pipe cut it length ways and placed it down into the frame. Then I welded this in to add more strength to this area. Kind of like a honey comb effect. You can also see the additional piece added to the other gap in the frame piece. The other side will have a piece of tubing in it also.

Then I cut a piece of steel plate to fill in the area and welded it in. I then grounded it all smooth and it looked something like this.

Now all I have to do is repeat all of those steps on the other cutout.

Wow that was quick!!

Pretty much done except filling in some small pin holes other then that it is complete. This is what it looks like from behind.

Thanks For viewing!!

Krank

Comment

Great work!
      Looks like it will do just fine. You allowed plenty of room to allow for the swing-arm movement right?

Daniel

Comment

Thanks, I thinks so!
        I may have to lower the bottom of the top cutout. We will see.

Comment

At which Holiday Inn did you stay?
          I need to go there...nice work, so far.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Very interesting build! One thing to consider with that GXR rear is how far out it place the chain. You obviously have addressed the frame issue, but that leaves 2 more...

Side cover... go to far out and you will have to get the grinder a hole of the sidecover for the front sprocket. And that brings us to the front sprocket! Go to far and you have to have a custom one made. Their are a few options for popular width front sprockets.

I got mine from Katman. I have a 08 rear GSXR wheel in a stock swingarm. I had to still remove a lot from the rear cush drive and sporcket face of the cush drive. Just remember that you can take some off these areas when you start doing chain alignment.

Oh yea, I did a 520 DID chain conversion as well. That helped too.

Ken

Comment

Thanks Darkstang, I intend on having a custom front sproket made and also doing the 520 conversion. Thanks for the heads up on the side cover.

steve, LOL it was in the chicago area.

Comment

Cool build I will be watching it.

I will say I am working on my GS1000 also, if you have the side covers and they will fit a 81 GS1000 G and wish to sell them please Pm me with a price and also the fairing if you have it and wish to sell it.

Thanks,
                Scott..

Comment

Okay I got a little work done on the scoots. Managed to get the front end assembled and also handle bar risers mounted. I also got my seat assembly, so I assembled it to get a little idea of what it will look like. The tail section will be a little lower in the front and a little higher in the rear. I need to do some trimming on it yet plus make the rest of the sub frame. I thought seeing some what together would give me a little inspiration to help motivate me on the build. It worked, I love it!!!

Thanks for looking Krank.

My mom obviously impressed with my fabrication ability. lol My wife wondering why I am not working on hers!!! I did shortly after these pictures, both project get equal time. Especially when she is in the shop with me.

Love that a$$!!!!!!
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2011, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X