No announcement yet.

1980 Suz GS450E Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think stainless steel allen cap bolts will look very nice on the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
      I agree they would, but at 3x the cost at the hardware store, I went with the stealth look and got the black head ones instead.

Still need to get the carbs put back together. The white residue is still an issue even with the Berryman's dip. Not sure what is causing that, but I'll make do with it. Ordered 2 bowl gaskets today from the local shop. O-rings are at ready to install, so that project should be done soon.

Anyone know a good place for a new brake line to the front caliper? The shop told me they are a discontinued item.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
        +1, Z1 enterprises sell a kit for our 450's dirt cheap and you don't have to fiddle around as all the necessary bolts are there.

On that paint job, it will be well worth it

$24.95 plus shipping, everything there you need and all you gotta do is sort them:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Can't go wrong!

I like the paint job so far too, very original but should look great.

Glad to hear the carbs are coming along well, maybe you need to soda blast the carbs or something to get that stuff off? I suspect maybe the cleaner has reacted to the alloy though which may have stained them...

As to the brake line, go braided steel line. Some people make their own (there are instructions on BassCliff's site somewhere) or you can get them from a couple of sellers on eBay for very good prices. I believe they're from Canada and are DOT approved etc.

I definitely wouldn't be replacing it with another rubber hose...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Okay.. So looks like its been a YEAR since I was on here. Have made little progress so far.. It's all back together, frame and engine painted, wiring harness all check and re-wrapped. Installed a battery and get power to the lights, turn signals work but would like to upgrade to smaller lights and new relay. Bought some, just need to work on how to wire them since the old ones are grounded to the frame.

One another note, does anyone have a clue what my bike is ? I don't know if it's an E, L, S or ESX or any of the others. I need a new clutch cable and don't know which style to buy. May as well get a new throttle cable too while I'm at it.

Tested the coils resistance. I get 22.1k from one and 20.9k from the other on the ohmmeter. Seems within correct spec. I've got to diagnose the starter system. May need a new solenoid as the positive terminal seems loose. It definitely moves. Probably shouldn't do that. When purchased, the guy said he was going to rebuild the starter. Is that a simple task to undertake? Or is it advisable to just buy another?

Lots of tinkering to do still, but excited that the lights lit up after 30 years. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Post up some pics soon.

Comment

[QUOTE=Strycker;1720232]
            One another note, does anyone have a clue what my bike is ? I don't know if it's an E, L, S or ESX or any of the others. I need a new clutch cable and don't know which style to buy. May as well get a new throttle cable too while I'm at it.
            [QUOTE]
            This one's easy,a 80 or 81 GS450E.Tank,covers and tail give it away.

Comment

+1 on the stainless Allen head bolts. They would really contrast against the black. I love the white too. Just something about white done right is awesome. I love Gatekeepers paint job. You should check it out. My build is about like yours. I'm almost a year into t and have yet to fire it up but I'm getting anxiously close. Keep plugging away!
              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

This one's easy,a 80 or 81 GS450E.Tank,covers and tail give it away.
                Thanks for that. I've been looking for one that is complete and original that says for sure, but never came across one. I need to get those cables ordered so I can get the clutch working to make sure it's working. ProMotion cables has some available on Amazon, just needed to get the correct one.

Comment

Working...
                X