Krankers 79 build part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Krankers 79 build part 2

Okay I have got a little more done on my 79 gs1000. Sorry for the delay I had some other projects that I wanted to get done before working on the bike. If you miss the first installment here is the link.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

One of the projects that got in the way of the bike was a more convenient heating source. Living in Iowa it gets cold in the winter months and I was getting tired of stoking the fire 2 hours before I wanted to go out and work. I like to go out and work in the shop a little after work but I dont have time to warm up the shop for 2 hours before I go out to work. So I bit the bullet and had this installed. Also did a little rearranging in the shop to get some room for the bikes.It is a 75,000 btu lenox. Works very well.

Once I got the new heat installed it was time to mess around with the bike.I finally got my bushing back from the machinist. It was worth the wait. The new bushings are perfect, it allows for the stock GS swing arm pivot bolt. I also got the frame notched for the chain. Capped of the holes where the subframe was cut off. As you can see in the pic I over ground the the bottom of the swingarm pivot bushing so I will build it back up with the welder and regrind it flat.

Got all of the suspension mounts made. Everything is just tacked in place. I will disassemble everything to weld everything solid once all of the fab work is finished.

Finished the new subframe braces and also the frame extensions for the seat pan.

Here is what it looks like from a distance.

I have also decieded to go with the 79 tank, the 78 was just too long.
    This is at full extension on the shock so it will sit a little lower at ride height.

And one more thing that needs to get looked at that will get in the way of the GS. I need to check the cam chain tensioner on her before the season starts. Sorry its a HD...

Thanks for watching!!!!

Krank

Nice project; like your design of your upper shock mount.

Just a little concerned however about the angle of the dangle when it comes to your swingarm linkages and swingarm. Might be just because the frame is resting on a stand but the swingarm angle is way too steep and the bottom of the shock is too high above the shock linkage. If not corrected, this will likely cause poor handling and damping from the rear shock. Also, in its current position, I don't see how your chain isn't going to rub your swingarm because the rear sprocket is so low compared to the engine sprocket.

EDIT: I just measured my swingarm angle as taken on the flat section of the left side. It is 6 degrees from the horizontal with the weight of the bike resting on it.

DOUBLE EDIT: What is your rake angle as measured from the steering head, and are you going to be installing a steering damper? Have you calculated trail? For reference, my rake as measured at the steering head is 24.5 degrees and trail is just over 4". The bike is quick steering but stable through the corners. I haven't had any headshake or steering nervousness with this configuration.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2011, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I have been playing with the dangle for sometime, whoaa wait what are we talking about?

It is in full droop but I agree it is too steep. another problem I see is the the tail section is too high. I don't like the extreme tail angle of street fighters and it looks like that. I was out in the shop tonight and removed the mount and raised it. I cycle the suspension in its current configure and it worked well. I had someone from a gsxr web site email some pics of his 06 gsxr600 linkage and the dog bones are pretty dang close to the stokers. I got it all welded up and then didn't like the look so I ripped it off and stopped for the night.I just can't see it so I stopped instead of getting more frustrated.

My rake angle is now 25 degrees and the swing arm is 7 degrees at rest. I think this will be a lot better.

Thanks for the motivation!

Krank
      Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2011, 10:03 PM. Reason: info

Comment

Ok, so i have redone the shock mount again for about 5th time now. The angle are much better now. I think this will work alot better. I also like this mount better then the others. The rake is right at 25 degrees and the swingarm is right at 7 percent. Here is some pics for anybody is interested. Everything is just tack welded at this point. I will finish welding everything after mock up.

I like the angles of this one.

Here is the head angle.

And the new look.

Thanks for looking...

Krank
        Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2011, 10:50 PM. Reason: info

Comment

Working...
        X