Taking over a 550 project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking over a 550 project.

Thanks to our buddy Martyman I am the new owner of a half way completed 83 GS 550 for a wicked good price. She's complete parts wise but needs the usual refurbs. I started tonight after supper with the tear down of the carbs. They were pretty clean but a dip is always in order so they're soaking right now.

The forks need a rebuild and new seals and the steering head bearings need replacing so they'll be on the list for next up. The brake calipers look good, there are fresh tires and the wheel bearings seem tight. I haven't looked at the swingarm bearings yet but I'm hopefull they are good too. The tank is fairly clean so not much to do there. The frame was painted and the engine is back in so its mostly going to be rebolting it together and a fresh coat of paint to the "tins". I'm giving myself 2 months so I'll need to keep on top of it but I'm confident its doable.

I wanted to mention that Marty the PO is a true "mensch" and did me a couple of solids by a) holding the bike for me for several weeks with no downstroke and b) humping it down to me on his trailer when I couldn't get one arranged. I hope to do him proud by getting this puppy back on its tires and looking as good as I know he would have got it.

Thanks Marty I really appreciate it my friend.

Cheers,
    Spyug

PS Pics to follow
Working...
X