gs 1000 e restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 1000 e restoration

hello to all just wanted to post some pics of my 79 gs 1000 e i am restoring . i had some before pics but hard drive crash a lost most of them but still have a few bike sat for 10 yrs in a damp shed was a mess not one part on it was not rusted or corroded but the engine fired up after a little carb clean

here is another pic

Comment

will post a few more pics tommorrow in the last pic i still havnt got to the front wheel yet have the slotted discs from a 82 850 to put on when i redo the front wheel and yes the front turn signals are from an 850 they will work till i get the proper ones
      Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2011, 09:15 PM. Reason: needed to ad more info

Comment

Love the stainless socket head screws! Looks really great!

Comment

more pics gs1000 e rebuild

i found some of my before pics and i have got a bit more done to bike since last post here are some more pics before and after.

before

after

before

after

boy what a lot of elbow grease but well worth it i still have to have the fuel tank painted and i got the decals from reproduction decals i love the black with the blue and gold pinstriping. i also installed a pair of renthol streetfighter handlebars wich fit great also have the guages and iggy switch mounted..

still have a lot of stuff to do the next two big things is refinish front wheel and put the wireing harness back in and hook everything back up .

Comment

Please share what the process was to get the jugs looking like that..Did you paint them or what? Bead blasted then paint? Always lookin for more ideas and methods!! thanks.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Bike is looking fantastic. Looking forward to following the thread. Like Chuck said about the paint, as well as what you did/used on the frame. I can only imagine you have spent more than a couple of hours on the buffer or wet sanding.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

AZR..on frames i use the rattle can VHT epoxy gloss black. Just lay it on even and its like the fcatory finish.You can spend a lot on poder coating if you choose. The thing i want to know is about the jugs. Theyn look 180 dgrees from he befores. I am thinking they were bead blasted and repainted. In any case i wanna know what he did to them.
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Nice job, can't wait to see it completed!

Comment

Coming along great!
                    I too have a '79 GS1000E and it's an ongoing project. Never wanted to put the money and time in it to be a show bike, just wanted a good daily driver. Someday I'll put those polished stainless allens on mine (which I have), I don't want to risk a leaking gasket doing it now. I had my tank, tail piece, side covers and seat underpan painted, the guy that painted them for me even painted the pin striping on, no decals, no edges where the stripe is, he is good! You can see some pic's of it here in my photobucket, along with other bikes I and friends owned going back 40 years. I don't have close-up pic's of the trainwreck it was when I got it, but it looked alot like yours, my first thoughts were, "Where do I start?" Alot of elbow grease is right!, Still have my seat to recover. Your engine looks great! Kudo's to you!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                      Coming along great!
                      I too have a '79 GS1000E and it's an ongoing project. Never wanted to put the money and time in it to be a show bike, just wanted a good daily driver. Someday I'll put those polished stainless allens on mine (which I have), I don't want to risk a leaking gasket doing it now. I had my tank, tail piece, side covers and seat underpan painted, the guy that painted them for me even painted the pin striping on, no decals, no edges where the stripe is, he is good! You can see some pic's of it here in my photobucket, along with other bikes I and friends owned going back 40 years. I don't have close-up pic's of the trainwreck it was when I got it, but it looked alot like yours, my first thoughts were, "Where do I start?" Alot of elbow grease is right!, Still have my seat to recover. Your engine looks great! Kudo's to you!

http://photobucket.com/albums/l570/sredelen/
                      Wow! great vintage bike photo's, thanks for sharing.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

thanks for all the replies . Chuck as for the frame i used epoxy enamel then clearcoated it . the jugs i used an industrial paint remover and coated the jug and the head and let the remover work there was paint on mine and was tough to get off . once it was removed i used a product called aluminator http://www.orisonmarketing.com/corro...luminator.html

let that sit on there for about half hour where it etches the metal and makes it to where paint will bond . make sure you dont let it dry on there keep checking it and spray more on if necessary also used it on my carbs then cleaned it off with water let dry and painted it with hi temp VHT engine paint on the head and jug
                        Free Shipping - VHT Engine Enamels with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Paint at Summit Racing.

on the cases i used vht satin new cast aluminum
                        Free Shipping - VHT NU-Cast Engine Enamels with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Paint at Summit Racing.

then cleared it with vht engine clear coat
                        Free Shipping - VHT Engine Enamels with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Paint at Summit Racing.

the covers i just buffed the hell out of them started first with wetsanding them with 1500 grit then used various compounds on the buffer .
                        AZR you got it right i have been wetsanding and buffing for weeks

will have more pics in the coming weeks
                        steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                          Coming along great!

http://photobucket.com/albums/l570/sredelen/
                          awesome pics and your bike looks great

Comment

So whats the latest and greatest??

Comment

i just ordered my avon tires 130/90-17 for the rear and a 100/90-19 for the front . i also mounted the oldschool kerker header i got from a friend who has had it since the 80s when he bought it still in excellent shape chrome is still real nice pipe wasnt used much looks great on the bike. have some pics i will try to get up tonight

i also have the dynojet kit coming i ordered from z1 enterprises for the carbs i have read on here that these kits are pretty much plug and play when using pods and header . i will post pics of carbs while doing them and also i have took some pics of the front wheel i am working on now . man i am getting ansi cant wait to get bike done and ride it

Comment

Working...
                              X