1978 GS1000 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS1000 Project

Yesterday I purchased a 1978 GS1000, you can see some pictures at the link below. This is kind of a duel restoration as I also have a 1978 GS750 that I am working on. The rundown is that the GS1000 is in bad shape it sat for 18 months in a garage. It runs poorly, the front and rear shocks are bad, tires bad, the headers are rusted, original indicators are missing, the seat is completely torn, battery is bad there is an oil leak from rocker cover and cosmetic damage. The good news is, good compression, wheels in good shape, the seat structure is sound with little if any rust, and the is gearbox good.

Any suggestion for replacement forks?

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/...1978%20GS1000/

FRANKS MACHINERY AND ENGINEERING...They make fork tubes..
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi Chuck thanks for the idea also do you know a good replacement fork that might be better than original something that I could find on ebay?

Comment

Originally posted by HaggisHombre View Post
        Any suggestion for replacement forks?
        If the front forks can't be cured with a set of new progressive suspension or sonic front springs and new seals...
        Find a pair and dual disc's/calipers from just about any GS850 or GS1000 E or G.

Daniel

Comment

Go for a 90-92 GSX1100 swap the complete front end

Comment

SqDancerLynn1 that sounds like a plan is there a reason for this does it handle better?

Also my GS wheel has spokes this might cause an issue do you know if it would fit or will new wheels be required?

Comment

Does anyone know what the process for adding a disc to a single disc spoked wheel?

Comment

I have asked this queston before but I am still trying to determine the best course of action. What if any is a good set of forks for the GS1000?

It may be that the originals are the way to go with stiffer springs.

The gsx1100 would be good but I dont want the expense of replacing the whole front end wheel and all.

Also does anyone know what the process for adding a disc to a single disc spoked front wheel?

Comment

If your lower fork leg has lugs for a caliper them it's pretty much bolt a caliper on .Take the cover off the wheel bolt a disc on that(should be drilled and tapped already).Get a proper two disc MC put some braids on it and you should be good to go.If there are no lugs you have to find a leg with them.Planning this conversion when I get my Skunk project going.

Comment

Does anyone know what the process for adding a disc to a single disc spoked wheel?
                    I believe that all you need to do, besides the extra plumbing,
                    is add another fork leg from a dual caliper model 1000.

Daniel

Comment

Are you really sure you want to tackle this with so much other stuff to do to your machine?
                      First of all you would need another downtube that you can bolt the caliper on to and of course the disk, perhaps an E model wheel to bolt the disk on
                      also. The tires on the E model are a little larger.
                      Also, even though bolting another caliper in place would work, there are small differences in the front brakes between the E model and C. The master cylinder base diameter is larger on the E and the caliper bore diameter is smaller. Your calipers should match is size, so you might as well get the right and left from an E model.
                      You can find this info on BassCliff's site in the GS1000 shop manual.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

To put what sedelen said in as short a way as possible, "you'd have to replace the entire front end & wheel". This can be a bit of mucking about and possibly include the triple tree if there are different diameters or different widths in between the forks. Not a small job, but still totally do-able.

Comment

I would bolt in the complete forks from an 850 or 1000 - you won't need to change the triple tree.

You'll need to buy another disc for the 'other side' or maybe 2 new discs depending on the calipers you buy. Slotted discs are worth geting.

You'll need 2 new calipers. I would get the calipers from the later GS(X) bikes - GSX750 EFE/ESG/ET/EX/ESD type is best.

You may also need a new master cylinder - see how it works and how you feel when it's plugged in to 2 calipers.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

OK I missed the spoke wheel.My instructions is good for a cast wheel.

Comment

Working...
                            X