No announcement yet.

Suzuki GS450 --- Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear the frustration...but I understand. I'm about ready to move on past a "project" bike to something more satisfying...while negotiating a right hand turn...my GS decided to start dying out on me...I almost got rear ended by a semi. Needless to say I've had it as well.

Comment

Oh come on!
      Don't be such a pansy, it's probably some frayed wire or some nonsense like that.

Don't sell it to some douchebag for a pittance!

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
        Oh come on!
        Don't be such a pansy, it's probably some frayed wire or some nonsense like that.

Don't sell it to some douchebag for a pittance!
        Yes, this X2

Comment

Meh... Been a whole year rebuilding and replacing everything. All wires checked and good. Good grounds. Duaneage R/R. Good electrical components. What else is there to check? I literally went through the whole electrical system with new parts. Even spent $500 for a brand new igniter.

I know I sound like a lil' bitch right now but I don't want a project. I just want to ride... Hope you guys understand that. Don't worry, I have my eyes on another GS I spotted on craigslist... A GS500.

At this time, I am not parting out my GS450. Only selling as a complete package for $600.

Comment

On the one hand, I hear ya'... on the other, only a year?! Try 9 without a ride and 6 since you started on the "project"...

As to the issue, if you have spark then logic dictates it would probably be a fueling issue.

So, this brings to mind the fact that you've put a different tank on that has had lots of bondo put on it, a coat of primer, and a new fuel tap.

Was this the first time you've put a fresh full tank of fuel in since this work was done? I mean full tank, not just a bit to get her to run for a little while. Could be it's flushed some crud that was missed into the carbs or fuel line etc.

The other thing is if the little breather hole in the tank neck has been bondoed or painted over, which will likely stop the tank breathing and then prevent fuel from flowing...

Could be other things too of course, but that's where I'd be starting...

Hang in there, it will be worth while once you get it knocked on the head and go for your first good ride
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
              Meh... Been a whole year rebuilding and replacing everything. All wires checked and good. Good grounds. Duaneage R/R. Good electrical components. What else is there to check? I literally went through the whole electrical system with new parts. Even spent $500 for a brand new igniter.

I know I sound like a lil' bitch right now but I don't want a project. I just want to ride... Hope you guys understand that. Don't worry, I have my eyes on another GS I spotted on craigslist... A GS500.

At this time, I am not parting out my GS450. Only selling as a complete package for $600.
              Just seems like a lot of wasted time and effort...and only $600 for the bike? I'd buy it from you in a heartbeat if you were in my area.

Comment

I was asking $700 but for a GSR or DTT member, I'm willing to do $600. I'm not one of those guys that will sell a cafe bike for $3,000 here. Just being realistic. We all know how much work was put into this though...

The bike has no spark because of a fried igniter. Again, I've checked everything. It has good compression and gets fuel to both cylinders.

If you can fix the spark issue, then the bike is ready for the road...

Comment

Dont sell it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FreshStart View Post
                    Dont sell it!!!
                    Thanks but my mind is made up. Very hard to let this bike go but I must...

Here is the 1983 GS1100E I'm looking at. It's complete, titled, comes with one grenaded engine, and one good engine with extra pistons and cylinders.

Then here is the CB400.

Which one do I pick?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, but have you pulled out a multimeter and really checked everything? I would start by checking the frame and other hard parts for voltage. Could have a parasitic leak that's screwing up all your levels. Then check any parts that should have resistance. There's a heckuva lot more the electrical than just voltage i/o. Ohms, amperage, resistance, capacitance...

Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
                        Thanks but my mind is made up. Very hard to let this bike go but I must...

Here is the 1983 GS1100E I'm looking at. It's complete, titled, comes with one grenaded engine, and one good engine with extra pistons and cylinders.

Then here is the CB400.

Which one do I pick?
                        If your trying to build another cafe then get the cb... but if you want to build some testicular fortitude go for the 1100.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshStart View Post
                          If your trying to build another cafe then get the cb... but if you want to build some testicular fortitude go for the 1100.
                          Exactly. CB's are much easier to build and work on.

If I get the 1100E, I plan on keeping it stock. No hacksaw .

Comment

Id go with the 1100e myself but then again look at my bike.... bigger is better

Comment

Methinks you have hit one to many roadblocks in this rebuild, and the fustration as gotten enough, that I understand.
                              But, you running away from the problems again, by your own admission, you love ths bike, and rightly so, you put a lot of loving into it.
                              Then you said, yourself, you don't want a project bike, you just want to ride, understood, but now you want to go buy a bike that does not even have a motor in it????????????? WTF dude??
                              You don't seriously believe it is going to be a case of slapping the motor in, tighting up a few mountings, hooking up a few cables and pipes and you ready to roll, do you???
                              Come on, you been around here long enough to know that is not going to happen, there are going to be a bunch of issues to sort out once the motor is in, you know that.
                              I say, park the bike for a week or so, sleep on it, let the frustration work itself out and let your head clear and look at it in a different frame of mind, objectivly.
                              Think about it, what are you going to tell the new owner????
                              The bike is great, just a spark issue, sort that and she is good to go.........now what makes it "just a spark issue" for the new owner and not for you, trying to tell me it is something you can't sort out? I don't buy it, sorry, I see you running from your problems again.
                              Do as I said, leave it for a week or so, clear your head and then tackle it with renewed vigour.
                              Even make up a whole new wiring harness if you must, damn, its only a 450, how hard can it be?
                              You have a wiring diagram and a bunch of people here to walk with you through it...................lets see you make this happen boy, I'll put money on you if no one else will.

Comment

ill bet on it aswell

Comment

Working...
                                X