Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few Bandit/Gixxer conversion questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few Bandit/Gixxer conversion questions...

So I had a decent little paragraph going about what I'm interested in but it didn't post and I don't really feel like typing it all out again. Basically, I've seen a few of the conversions on E bikes but my first bike was a GS850L and I'm more of a cruiser guy but get frustrated when the modern cruiser has to be a VTwin and not a good ole' 4. Of course I want more performance and some nice wheel options, etc. Anyways, this is more of a probing thread to see if a possible build would even be worth while on an L model bike. As far as I know all the GS's were pretty close cousins but I don't know all the dimensions and if a swap would be possible. Any constructive in put would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

My old GS, how I miss her.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2011, 08:07 PM.

I have never seen it done with an "L" but if someone could pull it off it might be kind of cool to see, might look like a GS version of a V MAx..

Comment

The 850 is a do everything motorcycle. Rear wheel is VERY limited because of the drive shaft Cams and exhaust from the 1000 will fit with mods..
      If you want balls out performance get a chain drive bike

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        The 850 is a do everything motorcycle. Rear wheel is VERY limited because of the drive shaft Cams and exhaust from the 1000 will fit with mods..
        If you want balls out performance get a chain drive bike
        I wasn't exactly saying it'd an 850 bike but an L bike for sure. My idea was to keep it chain drive. Much like a GS1000L. Just with the updated wheels, brakes, etc. I mentioned an 850 as a possible starter bike or 1100GL, just swapping out the parts such as the engine/swingarm and forks.

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
        I have never seen it done with an "L" but if someone could pull it off it might be kind of cool to see, might look like a GS version of a V MAx..
        Your thread is actually the one that first turned me onto possibly doing the project. That's why I was curious how similar the E bikes were from the L/GL's. From the little research I have done they are pretty similar, differing most in engine and tank/seat/cowl. The idea is a power-cruiser like they were originally built to be in the 80's.

Comment

Salty_Monk is the guy that had me wanting to do modern suspension and wheels.

My bike is a 1980 Suzuki GS450L chain drive. Although it's not too much of an L anymore. I've been looking at getting a Katana 600 or a 1990's GSXR front end as they're pretty much a bolt on. I need to think about the rear end a little bit since I don't want to switch to a mono shock... Yes, I am willing to do this on a smaller bike.

Don't try this on a shaft drive though. You can get the front end done but the rear end will be tougher...

This will be a very interesting project. Are you planning on keeping the stock seat, gas tank, and stuff but only change out the suspension and wheels? That's cool! Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
            Salty_Monk is the guy that had me wanting to do modern suspension and wheels.

My bike is a 1980 Suzuki GS450L chain drive. Although it's not too much of an L anymore. I've been looking at getting a Katana 600 or a 1990's GSXR front end as they're pretty much a bolt on. I need to think about the rear end a little bit since I don't want to switch to a mono shock... Yes, I am willing to do this on a smaller bike.

Don't try this on a shaft drive though. You can get the front end done but the rear end will be tougher...

This will be a very interesting project. Are you planning on keeping the stock seat, gas tank, and stuff but only change out the suspension and wheels? That's cool! Go for it!
            I was hoping the front end would be close enough to be a near bolt on. I'm used to my V65 Magna which isn't really relateable with any later Honda bikes. I could see it being much easier with a bike that was already chain drive. My plan would be keeping the original topside and going after the suspension/wheels/and I'd like to go after the engine, too. I know what you mean on the monoshock, they're cool but I'd like to stick with the outboard shocks. I know jwhelan65 mentions someone in his thread who welded slots for shocks on the Bandit swingarm.

Comment

Originally posted by ValveGod View Post
              I was hoping the front end would be close enough to be a near bolt on. I'm used to my V65 Magna which isn't really relateable with any later Honda bikes. I could see it being much easier with a bike that was already chain drive. My plan would be keeping the original topside and going after the suspension/wheels/and I'd like to go after the engine, too. I know what you mean on the monoshock, they're cool but I'd like to stick with the outboard shocks. I know jwhelan65 mentions someone in his thread who welded slots for shocks on the Bandit swingarm.
              Go for a ZRX1100 swing arm then. They used the twin shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by ValveGod View Post
                Katman sells bandit swingarms but you can fit up to a 5.5" wide wheel in a stock aluminum swingarm from a 81-83 1100. Here are a couple to check out.

Posplayr's

Jwhelan65's
                Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Comment

If you do get a shafty im pretty sure the rear wheel from a 91-94 gsx1100g will fit with little to no modification
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2011, 11:39 PM.

Comment

If I started with a shafty, my intention wouldn't be to keep it as a shafty. I would even like to go as far as the engine. I've only seen carb'd Bandit swaps, anything look into an EFI Bandit?

Comment

Working...
                    X