No announcement yet.

A skunk in the works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started to begin the process of stripping her down to a bare frame.The wiring in this is has been hacked up pretty bad.Hope I can get another one.Turn sig wires where twisted and taped.Can't even tell what the R/R wires are doing.Dropped the oil,smelled of gas.Need to rebuild the petcock because I do want this style.Doing more tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
      Dropped the oil,smelled of gas.Need to rebuild the petcock because I do want this style.Doing more tomorrow.
      petcock kits don't contain the crutial part that causes leaks - the spring that pushes the valve closed so the rebuilds often fail. having said that i just STRETCHED the spring in mine a bit and it's been leak proof since. yes, it's a mickey mouse style fix but i spent thousands $$$ elsewhere on the bike so am kinda proud of this lil mischief
      GS850GT

Comment

Spring?Mine had no spring.Hmmm......Where exactly is it?

Comment

Did just a bit of work today.But first the PO(not AZR) solution to signal wiring

The ground was taped into the headlight ground

SO much better than a connectorWent though the rest of the wiring,not as bad as I thought.May be able to use it after all.

Pulled the rear stuff off.Took a break then

Did the rest

Motor is here for now.Have to move stuff to get it a better place.

The rest is here

Comment

Oh man , that is so much fun!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              Spring?Mine had no spring.Hmmm......Where exactly is it?
              You may have a different petcock?
              I thought all pre-'82 were the same but maybe not. The spring is inbetween the rear housing plate and the diaphragm. The vacuum line from the carbs works against that spring to open the diaphragm thus letting the fuel through.
              Have a pic?
              GS850GT

Comment

Get one.May be a bit,Have a small famly drama to deal with.

Comment

So here's the pics of the petcock

Got a few of these around

So I took the spring out.

Seems a little larger than the older style one.Figures
                  These came from Chuck today

Thanks man!

Comment

Youre welcome. Since the test run on the rotors worked, i guess its time to send you that front break caliper as well.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yes please BTW these cleaned up nicely.When I get the legs from Dale i should be set for some nice doubles.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Like i said earlier..I completely rebuilt it and all it needs is the dust boots and the three little orings that go on the carrier pin. The piston is absolutely spotless as far as rust or pitting..should give you many years of service.. will get it out probably this weekend.
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yes I know Chuck.Really is to kind.Speaking of kind my brother sent me this http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...448259250.html For when it goes this is the text;
                          1978 gs750-not running -free (south vancouver)
                          free-you pick up only-does not run-parts bike?-includes fairing-call 604-760-8842
                          If it was here.......
                          He is looking for a bike over there and lurking here.Hope that 550 works out.
                          Cleaned off the frame swingarm and center stand.The usual places where dirty.Can you tell this was welded by people and not machines.The 85 750 frame has spatter everywhere,this one is very clean in comparison.May not be great looking welds but they are much cleaner.

Comment

So, you found the lil spring in the petcock?
                            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                              So, you found the lil spring in the petcock?
                              Yep
                              I know I got this old bike thing bad.Was at work and though "OK I got this winters project,what am I doing the winter after?" The answer may be in the papered 79 GS400 frame I have here.I have a ad in the local craigslist type site that everyone here uses looking for a 78 or 9 400.

Comment

Hows that postal workers strike going in your area?? Still waiting on word to send the caliper....

Comment

Working...
                                X