77 550 cafe project - couple questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 550 cafe project - couple questions.

So it's been a long while since I picked up a bike that a previous owner had on here ... I've been slowly amassing everything and I'm still missing some parts to really bring it together.

One thing I'm having problems with is a lack of fasteners - is there a bolt kit one could buy for this bike - ie exhaust lugs etc? Or how does one go by identifying size pitch and thread when missing screws / bolts?

Sorry for the lack of pics (though there are some of it in it's former glory posted by the PO on here). I'll get around to adding some as I make progress. I still need to figure out a seat - battery location and electronics. Working with old parts (hope they work!), so she's not going to be a looker. Just want to get her running and then later maybe redo everything with new wiring / upgrade electrical system / timing.

Gonna have to stick to the true cafe spirit since I don't have much to throw at this project for a while.

Firstly, Jump on ebay. Jump on Z1. I bought a full bolt kit for my engine from z1 along with studs for the exhaust manifolds.....its sorted by bikes. Z1 is the way to go for bolt kits. then you just have to work out which screw goes where. Oh and it converts it to alen bolts so you cant strip the heads.
    Remember to use a bit of loctite.

I'm building a cafe too...gs1100...good luck man.

Comment

thanks oohsam and SVSooke

Oh and the bike in question was the one supergrafx had... Hope to get her looking as nice as this again.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

looks like it's been passed around quite a bit lol.

I think I found what you're talking about http://www.z1enterprises.com/
      Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=SM000 Here's the listing at Z1 Enterprises for Suzuki

Comment

here ya go brother,

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Those Z1 screw kits are just for the engine covers. There is nothing for the headers.

You might want to visit your local hardware store. Metric fasteners are pretty common these days.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There are def bolts for the headers but you have to use the kawaski ones. They are the same pitch/width whatever the measurement is.
              Do a search on my posts, I brought this topic up and it has the info it in. I just got mine in the mail today from z1 (yes im in australia!) and they fit lovley.

Peace.

Comment

Thanks a ton guys... I've finally finished all my other projects (home renovation, back yard deck etc...) and can now focus on this project... I'm in no rush since I have the trusty Fizzy to ride. I will be updating as I go along. I think I will take a shot at trying to find a match for the header bolts at HomeDepot...

Would the manual have the pitch and sizes listed of each bolt? I'll search for your thread as well.

Comment

DCrippa, you'll have better luck finding a better selection in the exact number for a good price if you go to Ace Hardware. Just saying.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks Cowboy - I'll go to Ace instead - love the instant gratification of having a part immediately - I hate waiting around for parts in the mail.

Comment

So I got the carbs all mounted up with pods, bought a battery, fuel line, oil.... still need to figure out the electrical system but at least with a battery - once wired up I'll be able to see if she cranks. I still have a ton of work to do. Need to make a seat, I got the missing exhaust studs at Napa.

I'm really hoping the old electrical cables/wire harness and components work out - if not there'll be that to deal with, as well. It currently has clip ons - and while I like the look it's causing problems for me - hits the tank and is a problem trying to mount the light with the stock mount, will either have to put different bars on or push the clip ons out more and figure out a different mounting arm for the light.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2011, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Need some help

Does anyone know the size of the bolts needed to mount the guages?

I'm not near my bike now and would like to pick these up today on the way home so I can mock up the gauges & light this weekend... Anyone know the size length and pitch off hand to mount the guages?

Comment

The manual lists various sizes used but not the specific size for that bolt...

Anyone care to take a guess 10, 12 larger?

Comment

No-one? Really?

I'll measure it with calipers tomorrow and will eventually get the right bolt... but I gotta say - I thought someone would at least chime in by now and help out - it's been quite a pain in the ass on the missing bolt tip - and the manual doesn't tell you info on all the bolts. Am I the only one with a bike that is missing a lot of bolts?

Comment

Just a tip I found here when sorcing bolts for mine. The factory part # IS the bolt size. Typically found on the various on-line parts shops that show the OEM microfische prints and then list the OEM part #. There is a choice in tread pitch but the smaller ones are corse thread and the larger bolts are fine...
                              For example, 01500-0865B is a 8 x 65 mm bolt.

Comment

Working...
                              X