Sal's 1997

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sal's 1997

I'm a newbie to this forum. Glad I found it. If this post needs to be moved..do it. Well, where do I start? Just got a 97 GS550 that's been siting outside in Colorado for a couple of years. The owner. I think had Stabil in the gas tank. I was able to get her started with a new battery. Decided to go over her to get her road worthy. Ordered and installed new points and condensers. Gapped the points, but didn't do anything with the timing since it seemed to be OK when she ran. Ordered new rear shoes, since the originals were really worn out, Had a heck of a tome trying to figure out how to get the rear wheel off, until I realized that it slid off; that the axle didn't have to be pushed thru like other bikes (exhaust pipes were in the way). Cleaned the chain in degreaser. I tried to restart the bike, but I'm having trouble starting it now. Points are firing ok, plugs have a spark. Off come the carbs. They are on my workbench right now. I looked at the many page PDF on the carbs that is posted on the forum, but that model is a little different from my carbs. I'm cleaning the passages right now. Should I take the tops off the carbs too? Some of the o rings are toasted. Should I order a carb rebuilt kit ($25) each ! ..or just go to the hardware store and try to find those size?
    Lots more posting to do, but for now I'll throw this out to you. Looking forward to getting lots of info from you guys

oops

Sorry, after posting I realized that she is a 1977 model. not a 1997. That's what happens when you turn 60 yrs old.

Comment

Are you looking at the BS CV carb PDF or the VM one?Orings are best gotten from here http://www.cycleorings.com/ .All kinds of info will be coming your way with BassCliff's Mega-Welcome.In the mean time here's a link to VM carb overhauls http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...rb_rebuild.pdf

Comment

Where in Colorado are you?
        I have a ton of 550 stuff if you need parts.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Gretings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Sal C,

Yes, you'll want to use the VM carb cleanup guide. You can still get the O-rings from http://cycleorings.com. Don't use the aftermarket "carb kits" because of the inferior quality of most of the parts in them. Just soak all of the metal bits and reassemble with new O-rings.

For more necessary tasks, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi Sal
            Welcome, good advice there, go trough the carb clean up guide, no short cuts, and the other maitenence items listed on Basscliff's welcome and you will be on your way to GS happiness.
            Don't overlook the valve clearances, they will lead to all manner of strife if left unattended.
            Keep us posted, and throw out any questions you have, the good folk here are more than eagar to share their knowledege.
            And we need pics of the bike, lots of them.

Comment

I got the bike from my son-in law in Delta, Co. I'm actually north of Phoenix, Az. We go up there maybe 2X a year to visit the grandkids. When we go up there again, if I need parts, I'll certainly get ahold of ya.
              Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X